JJ86 TotalFootball Inspired FM11-FM12

JJ86

Reaction score
View attachment 214658Total football is proactive and not Counter-attacking, based on positional interchange and hard pressing, which was first used by this man
View attachment 214439
Rinus Michels - im sure most people know of him

His work has inspired me but being an Arsenal Fan of course my philosophy has been influenced mostly by these two and a mixture of other great managers.
View attachment 214440

My FM tactical journey began on FM11 when I decided I got bored of constantly choosing my favourite teams to manage so I went with the team from where I was born.
Coventry City
My aim was clear....get them back into the premiership and aim for a European Cup, either one i was not too bothered, and try to challenge for the league title a few years down the line.
To make a long story short i started on my tactic based on the 4-2-3-1 Formation playing deep and trying to control midfield

Anyway FM12 came along and i imported the tactic Straight in. First i wanted to test it, so i used Barnet turns out they were not technical enough so it did not work as well as i would with better teams but the football was still the same as i had used in FM11 with great success.
So I began a game with Leicester, it worked a charm got promoted through the play-offs. (sorry no screenshots of Leicester)

TOTALVOETBAL the ARSELONA Way
My aim was to adjust my team to play in the formation Wenger uses with Arsenal but combined to football of that which Barcelona use.

I made it so that the players positions could be moved around if I wanted to change the formation during a match without losing their responsibilities.

A lot of people want to achieve over 100 passes during the match... But I also wanted the rest of the team to be able to achieve a high number of passes therefore controlling the play

The end product worked out great as my team regularly achieve 30+ passes from defenders 60+ passes from my 3 midfield players and 25+ for my attackers.
More often the playmaker will have 80+passes a game

the evidence...
View attachment 214449View attachment 214450View attachment 214451View attachment 214452View attachment 214453View attachment 214454View attachment 214455View attachment 214456View attachment 214457View attachment 214458View attachment 214459View attachment 214460View attachment 214461

Formation 4321/433
whichever you call it. Flat 4man defence 3 central midfielders 2 wide forwards and the Trouble-maker :D

The Philosophy
The aim is to Control the play of the game, to do this the players need to be technical enough to pass the ball around from defence around midfield and search out openings in the oppositions defence, feeding through balls into the channels to for players to get on the end of. Just as Barcelona and Arsenal do on a regular basis.

Team Instructions

View attachment 214448

Player Roles/Duties

Sweeper Keeper/Defend:
DCs/Cover/Stopper split:
The split DCs makes sense as it supports both attack and defence.
I actually use a Limited Defender & Ball Playing Defender in my tactic because I have players who can do the job. However, it is not a requirement.
Full Backs/Support/Attack: A key position on both flanks as it gives the team width when going forward. But also tracks back in defence to retrieve ball and start the attack again.
MCR/Ball Winning Midfeilder/Defend: Drops deeper than the other midfielders to stop any of the opposition outnumbering the defence.
MCL/Deep-Lying Playmaker/Support: Vital to ball maintenance. Will rarely get into goalscoring positions, will stay deep in his position and can dictate possession all match. Override the tactical defaults by ensuring he is the primary playmaker.
MC/Central Midfielder/Auto: The key link between attack and midfield. Moves ahead of the midfielders on either side creating more space and more options.
AML/R/Inside Forwards/Attack: This role encourages both wide men to move into open central space off the flanks when the FC drops deeper. It also opens space for the FBs to advance into on the flanks.
Trequartista/Complete Foward Attack: Based on Van Persie & Messi's role, centre forward who drops deep into midfield and runs at the defence, Linking up with the wider players creating more space and dragging his marker out of position

Shouts
Retain Possession:
PLay Out of Defence:
Play Through Defence:
Work Ball into Box:
Hassle Opponent:

optional
Stay on Feet:

Tactical analysis
View attachment 214464View attachment 214465View attachment 214466View attachment 214467

Corner Set Pieces
The corner setup is important as it can help you grab vital goals in those intense games. So you need to know who has the good attributes in your team to grab those vital headers and tap ins.
View attachment 214471

Finally here is the link.
(LINK 1 AND 2 ARE EXTERNAL)
JJ86TotalVoetbal - Link 1
Tactic link 2
I am sure you will results instantly and consistently

FM-Base tactic link - CLICK HERE

Last edited:
First game testing your tactic : Liverpool (me) 2-0 Chelsea and 65 - 35% of possession. It seems to be good ;)

hi mate, would you like to upload it at another site [4shared is closed because of court decision) thanks

hi mate, would you like to upload it at another site [4shared is closed because of court decision) thanks

Works for me. no probs with anything

no problem I will add a second upload link

even in defeat there are more passes than the opponent
View attachment 214583View attachment 214585
really should have won this match used a weakened team and played top goalscorer out of position...
this is just a statistical showing, although the tactic works every game, you still need to have a good enough lineup for the players to take their chances to win comfortably

Last edited:
completed new season with Arsenal,
screenshots of the fixtures Poor results are due to injuries and/or youth players

View attachment 214793Player Stats (End of Season)
View attachment 214794View attachment 214795View attachment 214797View attachment 214798

Final League StandingsView attachment 214799

Champions League Final vs Porto
Controlled play for most of the match apart from when they caught me on the break, gave away some cheap free-kicks ultimately Hulk capitalised to put Porto in front. had a number of chances to get back in the game although Arshavin didnt take his chances.
Here are the passing statistics

View attachment 214813

Last edited:
First game testing your tactic : Liverpool (me) 2-0 Chelsea and 65 - 35% of possession. It seems to be good ;)

It should work well with Liverpool you should be getting plenty of scoring opportunities.

please post your experiences

Last edited:
I'm having problems mate i got promoted to league 1 by finishing 2nd in league 2 i've added some quality to my team but i'm really struggling and 3rd from bottom nearing the end of the season! Did you tweak the tactic when you got promoted as coventry?

Neither arsenal nor barcelona play anything similar to total football, total football used constant crosses and bombardment into the box..

match prepation and OI

Match Prep is different for each team in terms of using it correctly, but to get the team working well you should set workload to
Very High : Team Blend - until the team are familiar with it
Then Set it to 'Average : Team Blend'

Before a match i.e. 2 days before you can set it to one of the other Special Focus Area's it will give your team a temporary boost in that area for the coming match. After the match set it back to Team Blend

Last edited:
Neither arsenal nor barcelona play anything similar to total football, total football used constant crosses and bombardment into the box..

I never said they play total football, Arsenal and Barcelona play in specific ways. My Inspiration is from total football BUT creating the total football that the Dutch played in the 70's in basically impossible to create in the FM series as you are not able to make players switch positions simultaneously.

My tactic is BASED on dominating possession with fluid attacking without risking defenders being outnumbered on the break

Last edited:
I'm having problems mate i got promoted to league 1 by finishing 2nd in league 2 i've added some quality to my team but i'm really struggling and 3rd from bottom nearing the end of the season! Did you tweak the tactic when you got promoted as coventry?

Depending on the strengths of your players and their Preferred Moves you may have to tweak individual players instructions.
for instance say you have a winger in your team with good crossing attribute you will want to set the following
Crossing: Often
Run With Ball: Sometimes/Rarely (depending on his dribbling stat)

tried your tactic with Malaga. In 4 seasons , got 3 times La Liga winner, 2 times ECC winner, 1 time EC winner and etc etc.

So,worked well for me.

thanks mate
Depending on the strengths of your players and their Preferred Moves you may have to tweak individual players instructions.
for instance say you have a winger in your team with good crossing attribute you will want to set the following
Crossing: Often
Run With Ball: Sometimes/Rarely (depending on his dribbling stat)

hey bud, looks like a good tactic :) if you would like a little more info as well feel free to read through here as you lost a few games and concede quite a few as well... the defence needs to be tightened up a tad and you will have a very good tactic by the looks of things!

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ic-discussion-creation-centre-hints-tips.html

Thanks your thread is excellent, :)
Although my loses where down to my own mistakes. Like playing reserves and trying to keep players fit by rotating also injuries. Although I did suffer some defeats my team controlled the game, then comes into account the vital mistakes by defenders Especially at Left Back in Arsenal

Last edited:
Hello just started using this tactic with bayern, i've only played an handful of matches but its working well just walloped freiburg 4-0 with 86% posession. I have just changed the striker to target man as I have got mario gomez upfront. I was wondering if you have dropped a midfielder back to the dm position or moved 1 forward to the am position?

yes I sometimes change players positions around, depending on where the oppositions threat. IF they play with an AMC then I would move the BWM(BallWinningMidfielder) into an Anchor Man position. But it really depends on how your players ability