Leeds United - a tactical experiment

And I also changed the initial tactical idea:

View attachment 996424

Did something like that For Man Utd. Roma smashed them with 30+ shots all inthe box. United got 2 shots from the halfway line. Was impressive how **** they were(!)

I'll be interested if your set up works, as we had the same instructions and mostly the same roles. Only difference was I played Counter.

Did something like that For Man Utd. Roma smashed them with 30+ shots all inthe box. United got 2 shots from the halfway line. Was impressive how **** they were(!)

I'll be interested if your set up works, as we had the same instructions and mostly the same roles. Only difference was I played Counter.

NO, it doesn't work. I don't know why it didn't cause it doesn't look so bad on paper but didn't work. I also tried with IF(A), with one W and one IF, with an AF... nope... nothing

Now I'm trying with this one :View attachment 199902
Very mixed results in my tests. Now I'm holidaying a season just to see what kind of results my assistant gets.

It seems i have to put seven attacking duties and go overload for something to work...

The above role selection seemed quite logical to me when i picked them but it may be that my logic is wrong ... i don't know what to do anymore to make a logical,maybe real life based or possible system

NO, it doesn't work. I don't know why it didn't cause it doesn't look so bad on paper but didn't work. I also tried with IF(A), with one W and one IF, with an AF... nope... nothing

Now I'm trying with this one :View attachment 998520
Very mixed results in my tests. Now I'm holidaying a season just to see what kind of results my assistant gets.

It seems i have to put seven attacking duties and go overload for something to work...

The above role selection seemed quite logical to me when i picked them but it may be that my logic is wrong ... i don't know what to do anymore to make a logical,maybe real life based or possible system

Indeed. I don't get it either, I mean the 4-1-2-3 looks sensible, yet even as the top teams I'm being made to look distinctly average. I don't know what I'm missing. =/

Tell me about... I'm trying to find a logical system for this Leeds team for 3 weeks now. I'm not searching something to win me the league or even get me promoted in the first season. I'm not after that, I like building teams , developing players etc. But i want to use a system that I understand , with real life logic( not necessary based on something used IRL) , which can be used even when a new patch is released.
I've tried so many things I can't even remember all off them( now this may be a mistake , maybe i should chose a shape , a style like either defensive , counter, attacking , possession etc and try work from there?!) .
In this three weeks I started two saves which i take them only half of season ( I'm not getting sacked, we are 6 , 8, 10 place but I can't carry on with this one- the problem that persist is that a tactic seem to be working at the start but it always prove to be lacking CONSISTENCY). When we start losing it doesn't stop. We end in the first half of the table even on the test my as man is doing now BUT the losing streak is still there.
We are not winning one losing one etc... we won one or two draw one then lose five... CONSISTENCY this is what all my systems seems to lack at the moment.
I still cannot believe i spent so much time on trying to develop something for a PC game. IRL i have a two year old son and a four year old daughter and when I'm not working i spend my time with them... so I'm playing mostly at night when they are sleeping... my job is also very demanding this time of the year ... and I also lost my grandmother in this three weeks... and I'm losing sleep trying to understand FM tactics! Isn't this some kind of FM craziness ?!

Anyway , if I'll find something that works I'll post it here with my explanations of chosen shape, roles, mentality etc .

And my assistant manager is trying to humiliate me... I let him play from december on( 8th) but imposed to play with the 4231 that took me all today to develop and he's now playing the play offs ... which he eventually lost... he finished 5th place but he also enjoyed the poor run at the end.

The first image are the games I played trying different systems( until the MK Dons game on 2th january):
View attachment 199884

The next one, are the matches played by the as man while i was holidaying:View attachment 199879View attachment 199878

You see that poor run at the end of the season? That's the lack of consistency I was talking about. Even the as man had it. Sure, it was my system and my player selection but anyway...

I'm wondering if he was simply lucky?! What would happen if i let him play it again? If he finishes 18th now, what does that say about the system I gave to him?

And I gave him an entirely season to play with that tactic... he finished...of course...18th as i predicted in the previous post. This game becomes quite predictably. Now what i should understand about that tactic?
View attachment 199855

In one save the as man finishes 5th and loses the play offs and in the other he struggles not to get relegated? And how in the world he finished exactly as I predicted?!

Last edited:
You completely change the way you play every few games. It's no wonder you're not consistent. You don't even know what you're creating. It seems like you're just 'testing' different combinations in an effort to find that perfect combination. In doing so, you lack any sort of vision of how you actually want to play and it is reflected in the TIs you choose/guess as well. You're adding TIs when you have no idea whether it is even needed. Take the time to understand A tactic, rather than just seemingly randomly changing completely.

In this one, for instance: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/atta...ted-tactical-experiment-tactics_-overview.png

It's a bit attacking, looking at the fullbacks, but overall, it's not a bad counter attacking setup. Why did you choose a standard mentality? Why slow that down with Play Out Of Defence? Surely there wouldn't have been punts up field, causing you to choose this? Work ball into box will reduce crosses too, again something that could be great on the counter when the opposition defenders are scrambling to get back.

This one : http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/atta...d-tactical-experiment-tactics_-overview-2.png Has quite a bit of closing down. That's risky to use as a blanket approach and in some games that will hit you hard. I have questions about it anyway, since changed closing down that much, but you didn't adjust the D-line at all. Looking at the formation, you're going to leave a lot of room behind the 2 CMs. Some teams will be able to exploit that.

Both have question marks around them then. Crucially though, you don't seem to react to what's happening in matches. Instead you're wasting time on assistant manager tests, which tells you nothing about your tactic. The assistant is left in charge, so he will make role changes in games and he will make other in-match decisions if the situation calls for it.

You completely change the way you play every few games. It's no wonder you're not consistent
I agree with this. I only mention the fact that every time I changed the tactic I also started a new save and usually played a few (game time) months with a tactic. So i didn't played this game with this, that game with that...etc But it's very true I didn't focused on a formation or a style of play( mostly because I wanted to find something that works to be able to play the game instead of always testing tactics). On the other, side in my "quest" I've seen lots of tactics based on no logic who worked very well according to the users. Unfortunately this is not my way , if it works i also need to know why it works.

You don't even know what you're creating.
I think this thread has 11 thousand views by now. I'm asking how many people who have read it could have done the threads Cleon posted about counter attacking and possession football?Don't get me wrong, those are pieces of art in what concerns FM but still how many average users will have got the duties that way? If someone reads all the available guides and then tries to make a good working and logical system he will probably start with at least 3 or 4 attacking duties, as advised there for a balanced system( it will really take to long to write about more things but this guy is saying here very well what FM really needs : https://steamcommunity.com/app/378120/discussions/0/485623406960256654/ )

Getting back on track, what I can actually do, is to take the two tactics you pointed and try to work only on this two. The 41221 and the 4231.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/attac..._-overview.png

It's a bit attacking, looking at the fullbacks
- changed the left WB on a FB(S) ( even if when the average user read the guides he'll find out that you don't have enough width with this combination. I kept the right one as a WB.

it's not a bad counter attacking setup. Why did you choose a standard mentality?
Changed the mentality to counter.
I chose standard because i thought it will be easier to change on a game by game basis and also because i think my team is more inclined to play a more standard game due to their attributes ( my defenders severely lacks concentration for example). And also because the chosen team shape. Probably there are more suited shapes for a counter game.

Why slow that down with Play Out Of Defence? Work ball into box will reduce crosses too, again something that could be great on the counter when the opposition defenders are scrambling to get back.

The Art of Counter Attacking - Page 4

More precisely this line :" Everything is ignored for those players involved in the counter phase for the full duration of the move."

So , this does not mean that with those TI's I instructed the players how to play and what to do when they are NOT COUNTERATTACKING? Build up slowly from the back, no hoofing balls , don't waste possession with long shots ... and when the opportunity to counter arises do just that ( play fast and direct , try to get the opposition on the wrong foot etc forget about the work ball into box and play out of defence). This is what I understood from the above paragraph.
Anyway, you'll see that I've dropped the work into box TI in the more recent 4231 because I noticed it affected in a negative way the full backs crossing. They were trying to dribble when it wasn't necessary , when a crossing will have worked better. Due to their PPM's , my midfielders tend to waste balls by taking all kind of long shots - this was the main reason I used this TI.
I also used play out of defence because i wanted my defenders to play short passes to the DLP rather then hoofing the ball and wasting possession.

So, I cleared all TI's. Please tell me, what TI's are more suited for a counter attacking style?
How can I improve this tactic?

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/attac...overview-2.png

Has quite a bit of closing down. That's risky to use as a blanket approach and in some games that will hit you hard.
It has more closing down cause I wanted to win back the ball faster and have more possession.
but you didn't adjust the D-line at all
Because i was thinking that with control the D-line is a bit higher than with a normal approach.

Looking at the formation, you're going to leave a lot of room behind the 2 CMs. Some teams will be able to exploit that.
Because of role selection? Why? Isn't there a holding midfielder and near him a more cautious one? That's the shape, it has weaknesses on the flanks between the wide men, and in the midfield between central midfielders and central defenders. What can I do?

Both have question marks around them then.
Please tell me more. Which are those? and how can i fix them?

Crucially though, you don't seem to react to what's happening in matches.

To even try and do that I have to be absolutely sure that my basic tactic is good, made on sound principles , and with no real flaws. How can I make in match changes and observe what happens if I'm constantly wondering if the base is good or wrong?
If I'm constantly asking myself if my role selection is good, my mentality, team shape, ti's etc how can I know that the problems are not caused by the basic tactic?
How can i give my best in doing so when I'm constantly asking myself how long it will be until i have to start a new save and do all things again ( finding staff, training, contracts, friendlies, scouting,tactics etc)? I'm tired of wasting time and I can't put everything into a new save until I'm not sure that the basic tactic/tactics is/are good.

Thank you for your feedback.

I agree with this. I only mention the fact that every time I changed the tactic I also started a new save and usually played a few (game time) months with a tactic. So i didn't played this game with this, that game with that...etc But it's very true I didn't focused on a formation or a style of play( mostly because I wanted to find something that works to be able to play the game instead of always testing tactics). On the other, side in my "quest" I've seen lots of tactics based on no logic who worked very well according to the users. Unfortunately this is not my way , if it works i also need to know why it works.
This is the main problem. You don't have any vision of how you want to play. How on earth do you then know when a player isn't doing what he's supposed to be doing? You're throwing mud, hoping that something sticks.

Take a step back and think about what it is you want to create. Then which roles/duties to choose to get the movement you want.

I think this thread has 11 thousand views by now. I'm asking how many people who have read it could have done the threads Cleon posted about counter attacking and possession football?Don't get me wrong, those are pieces of art in what concerns FM but still how many average users will have got the duties that way? If someone reads all the available guides and then tries to make a good working and logical system he will probably start with at least 3 or 4 attacking duties, as advised there for a balanced system( it will really take to long to write about more things but this guy is saying here very well what FM really needs : https://steamcommunity.com/app/378120/discussions/0/485623406960256654/ )
I wouldn't place too much importance on the number of views. 90% of that will be 'average users' looking for a download link. Average users can come up with the ideas Cleon did if they take the time to watch the ME. They don't. Your link shows that too. Cleon isn't the first to write about this either. He just wrote it because it has become accepted as fact that possession football cannot be done using higher mentalities. Yes, certain aspects can be better explained (duties is one for me) but you have a full 90 mins of simulated football. You can pick any minute or two of a game to see what is happening.

Getting back on track, what I can actually do, is to take the two tactics you pointed and try to work only on this two. The 41221 and the 4231.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/attac..._-overview.png

- changed the left WB on a FB(S) ( even if when the average user read the guides he'll find out that you don't have enough width with this combination. I kept the right one as a WB.
It's not the width that's the issue. It's that a WB/S will get further forward than a FB/S will do. You'll be opening yourself up and making yourself vulnerable against direct/quick attacks.

Changed the mentality to counter.
I chose standard because i thought it will be easier to change on a game by game basis and also because i think my team is more inclined to play a more standard game due to their attributes ( my defenders severely lacks concentration for example). And also because the chosen team shape. Probably there are more suited shapes for a counter game.
This I just don't understand. It's frustrating to read this, tbh. Why change to Counter if your team isn't suited to it? Why set up a counter attacking tactic in the first place? The point of a counter attacking tactic is to counter the attacks. That will mean sitting deep and keeping concentration as you'll be inviting more pressure than 'normal'. If it is a weak point in your team, the last thing you want is to put them into situations where they will be needed to concentrate even more.

The Art of Counter Attacking - Page 4

More precisely this line :" Everything is ignored for those players involved in the counter phase for the full duration of the move."
Yeah, but you can't lose focus. In a counter situation, this is true because of the settings that briefly change under the hood. You need to also keep in mind what happens when a counter isn't on. Have you actually tried going without that Instruction to see if it is even needed? You have a deep playmaker, so play should be going through him quite a bit anyway which should see the short passing you're looking for anyway.

So , this does not mean that with those TI's I instructed the players how to play and what to do when they are NOT COUNTERATTACKING? Build up slowly from the back, no hoofing balls , don't waste possession with long shots ... and when the opportunity to counter arises do just that ( play fast and direct , try to get the opposition on the wrong foot etc forget about the work ball into box and play out of defence). This is what I understood from the above paragraph.
Anyway, you'll see that I've dropped the work into box TI in the more recent 4231 because I noticed it affected in a negative way the full backs crossing. They were trying to dribble when it wasn't necessary , when a crossing will have worked better. Due to their PPM's , my midfielders tend to waste balls by taking all kind of long shots - this was the main reason I used this TI.
I also used play out of defence because i wanted my defenders to play short passes to the DLP rather then hoofing the ball and wasting possession.
If long shots are an issue, you can reduce that with PIs. More importantly, look at WHY they're taking pot shots at goal. Look to see if they have valid passing options.

So, I cleared all TI's. Please tell me, what TI's are more suited for a counter attacking style?
How can I improve this tactic?

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/attac...overview-2.png
Just start without TIs and see in a game if anything is needed? You may find that you need subtle changes, like maybe a role switch or to add a TI. You won't know this if you don't see it first though.

It has more closing down cause I wanted to win back the ball faster and have more possession.

Because i was thinking that with control the D-line is a bit higher than with a normal approach.
Again, frustrating to read. You've quoted Cleon's thread and claimed that you did go for a counter attacking approach. How does closing down and push D-lines higher fit into that? You're now going more toward a 'normal' tactic, rather than a counter attacking one.

Again, sit down and try to form a plan of how you want to play and stick to that.

Because of role selection? Why? Isn't there a holding midfielder and near him a more cautious one? That's the shape, it has weaknesses on the flanks between the wide men, and in the midfield between central midfielders and central defenders. What can I do?

Please tell me more. Which are those? and how can i fix them?
You shouldn't be asking me why. You should be looking to see if this is the case.

Holding midfielders stay back in possession, which yours will, but your closing down settings will draw the midfielders up-field with the D-Line still where it is.

Again though, I pointed something out. Look to see if it is the case, rather than wanting everything spoon-fed.

To even try and do that I have to be absolutely sure that my basic tactic is good, made on sound principles , and with no real flaws. How can I make in match changes and observe what happens if I'm constantly wondering if the base is good or wrong?
If I'm constantly asking myself if my role selection is good, my mentality, team shape, ti's etc how can I know that the problems are not caused by the basic tactic?
How can i give my best in doing so when I'm constantly asking myself how long it will be until i have to start a new save and do all things again ( finding staff, training, contracts, friendlies, scouting,tactics etc)? I'm tired of wasting time and I can't put everything into a new save until I'm not sure that the basic tactic/tactics is/are good.

Thank you for your feedback.
NO! No one creates a perfect tactic first time round. You should know how the team is supposed to play. If they're not doing that IN A MATCH, you can see it and fix it. That's partly the point of the initial friendlies too. If something isn't right with the tactic, you have the chance to see it.

This sounds like you're not even bothering.

I've said this a million times now. Start without TIs. Start with a basic, base tactic. Add what you see you need only. It's much easier than to tack a million things on and then having no idea what is causing the issue.

Just play the game? Why do you need to start over constantly?

Sorry if this is mentioned.

But I noticed you left your AM to use your tactics and play for long time and cant get any success?

IF you do this you completley waste your time creating tactics and writing it here. You understand that u give him this tacitc, but he makes the changes in game, start of the game. He changes instructions and maybe even their roles. You only give him the formation to play in.

Am I wrong? It isint right to test how good is tactic just by going holiday and letting AM to play with it.
This is correct. He changes roles etc as he is left in charge. I mentioned it earlier too. :)

This is the main problem. You don't have any vision of how you want to play. How on earth do you then know when a player isn't doing what he's supposed to be doing? You're throwing mud, hoping that something sticks.

Take a step back and think about what it is you want to create. Then which roles/duties to choose to get the movement you want.

I've got some sort of a ,let say "small" vision on how I want to play. It's a short passing play , with build up from the back, attack oriented , not interested in possession. All must start from the GK with a short pass to a defender or a deep midfielder, then we pass it shortly upfront. We focus on scoring goals and attacking not on retaining possession which I'm completely not interested into. This was my all time vision of how i would like to play but i never took it seriously. ( mostly because i don't really know how to set it up).

But i never focused on this , i just tried to find something that worked, counter , possession , no matter what... And also, from that small vision to a tactic it's a huge step for me.

And after re-reading what you told me yesterday I also decided on a formation- I'll go with the 41221 which is one of my favourite and it's the last formation i enjoyed success ( and also the game) a long time ago.

So all I have now it's this:
- the basic formation : 41221
- the shape: structured or highly structured
- that small vision on how i want to play
- this:
GK
Byram DC DC Taylor

DM

Cook Mowatt

AMR AML(Dallas)

ST

The written names are what I consider to be my best players and the ones I would like to build the team around.
I also have some basic information about them :
1. Byram- he is an offensive right back, who likes to get into opposition area. He's equally adept of playing the right midfielder role and also can step into AMR position where he is accomplished. My as man rate him as a full back or wing back. I would rather keep him at the back then play him in the midfield on a regular basis because i think he may have a longer future in the team in that spot.
2.Taylor, also an offensive left back, who likes to run with ball down left. I see him as my left back until retirement. He is also rated as a full back or wing back. ( but in my opinion he is less offensive then Byram, he is more the full back type).
3. Cook- the "future" heart of the team and my star player. He likes to run WITH ball through centre. Is natural in DM and CM position, He is rated by the as man as an advanced playmaker, DLP, BBM, CM, RPM and even BWM. This one I would like to play at his best and develop accordingly from the start.
4. Mowatt - a central midfielder whit no PPM's. He is rated as a DLP, AP, RPM, BBM, CM. So he can do everything in the midfield. I would like to give him any role which will also complement Cook.
5. Dallas , can play anywhere in the midfield in the wide positions. ON the left my assistant rate him as an IF and on the right as an W( he's a naturally right footed player). He has a few PPM's - gets into opp area, dwells on ball, runs with ball often, shots from distance.

Also, if i look at other players I would like in the starting eleven it seems a few likes to shot from distance and also run with the ball.( the reason for which i previously chose work ball into box , maybe some PI's were better and probably the reason my players keep hold onto ball until the opp player take it away- they try to dribble instead of playing one-twos as i would prefer).

And this is pretty much all I have. How i find the missing links, how I get from this to a balanced tactic I don't know.

Average users can come up with the ideas Cleon did if they take the time to watch the ME. They don't.
Actually i don't think you can come up with so much game understanding by simply watching the ME. In my opinion you have to know how it works. An average user won't figure this out by simply watching matches. And he shouldn't have to. He should have some understanding of the real word game and some clear in game instructions on how to apply -in game- the real football knowledge.

This I just don't understand. It's frustrating to read this, tbh. Why change to Counter if your team isn't suited to it? Why set up a counter attacking tactic in the first place? The point of a counter attacking tactic is to counter the attacks. That will mean sitting deep and keeping concentration as you'll be inviting more pressure than 'normal'. If it is a weak point in your team, the last thing you want is to put them into situations where they will be needed to concentrate even more.

I didn't thought i set up a counter tactic , i believed I set up a normal approach. You told me it was not such a bad counter setup. Personally I don't like counter attacking. I respect Mourinho but i like Wenger. And my players really don't have the concentration for a counter game. And also, my central defenders are my weak link. What should I have done for this to suit more a standard approach? ( but also, the standard approach is not what i truly want, I think deep inside i"m more of a control/attacking one).

You may find that you need subtle changes, like maybe a role switch
I find this to be the hardest to figure out.

Again, frustrating to read. You've quoted Cleon's thread and claimed that you did go for a counter attacking approach. How does closing down and push D-lines higher fit into that? You're now going more toward a 'normal' tactic, rather than a counter attacking one.

I've read all Cleon's thread I think, including the one you pointed today- thank you :) i follow his blog and others. When i'm trying to create something, i'm really trying. I may be many things but lazy is not one of them.
With the 4231 , with closing down it was a control- attacking attempt, not a counter one. The chosen mentality was control. I tried a counter approach with a 4141 which seemed almost copy-paste from Cleon thread although I've got to it some other way.And also, sit there and invite pressure is not my thing. It took me a while to figure it up.

This sounds like you're not even bothering.
I'm bothering and believe me i'm bothering a lot. A sane person will have just given up by now and downloaded something. I'm still losing sleep , time, energy etc over this. i just don't get it. Something is missing.

But I noticed you left your AM to use your tactics and play for long time and cant get any success?

IF you do this you completley waste your time creating tactics and writing it here. You understand that u give him this tacitc, but he makes the changes in game, start of the game. He changes instructions and maybe even their roles. You only give him the formation to play in.

Am I wrong? It isint right to test how good is tactic just by going holiday and letting AM to play with it.

I made this thing only for the latest formation, the 4231 and just out of curiosity. It was just an experiment. When in despair people do all kind of stupid things. Anyway, thank you for the advice Bujakaa , i do appreciate every bit of help I can get.

Last edited:
Hopefully, Cleon's thread can inspire you a bit to look at issues you have.

Hope so! I'm going to read it again today! Thank you WJ !

He is indeed.

Most of what I learned initially was from watching matches. I never had the luxury of posting in tactics forums for advice. It just takes looking and paying attention.

Knowing what happens under the hood helps, of course, but that's something I've only picked up a couple of years ago.

Let's try again!

Finally , the first game in the new save. We won 4-0 against our reserve team.

Match Stats:

View attachment 199007

And player stats:

View attachment 198993

- from eleven passes my keeper completed only 4 ( and he has roll it out and fewer risky passes selected from the start)
- Byram has six crosses attempt and none completed ( i think i have to watch in match why/ what sort of cross/ cross where)
- Cook had five key passes( the most in my team) and I played him as a CM(A)
- Mowatt, the BBM, was in position to cross six times ( like Byram) but he completed 2

We started like this:
GK(D)
CWB(S) CD(D) CD(D) FB(S)

DLP(D)
RPM BBM

IF(S) IF(A)

DLF(A)
Control/Structured/ No TI's

After just ~20 min I made some changes:

GK(D)

FB(A) CD(D) CD(D) FB(S)

DLP(D)
CM(A) BBM

IF(S) IF(A)

DLF(A)

Control/Structured/ and I also added 3 TI's ( maybe against indication, but my players were just waiting to long before tackling for the ball and this TI's look to be a part from my "small" vision on how I want to play - get stuck in+ slighty d-line+ close down more).
And I think a fourth TI may be necessary in something like short passing or lower tempo but for now i can't figure it out which one.
I have some doubts about some player roles like:
- the CMA is on the same side with the attacking full back ( but i can't move him on the other side due to the attacking IF- but i could give him a support duty for more defensive security)
- The IF on the right could be a winger
- the DLF on attack duty is just a guess .

About the selected ti's i have this question:
it would be better to play a normal d-line, drop the close down more and let only the IF's and DLF to close down more ?

I will watch the game again tomorrow and I'll try to see the players position on the pitch with and without the ball. Tonight I'm simply to tired to try and do this well.

I also attached the PKM in case someone wants to point me in the right direction.

I haven't looked at the match, but you have 3 players all charging into the box. That's one too many, imo. You seem happy with the CM/A and the IF/A so it may be worth thinking about a striker who drops deep or pulls wide. What you're asking the DLF/A to do is pretty much what the CM/A will do anyway.

The striker dropping deep or pulling into channels can create space for the other 2 to run into.

Thank you very much WJ. I actually have a striker who can perform the false 9 role( the striker who will drop deep). But my preference will be rather to the one who pulls wider, a CF on support duty. I don't have curently highly rated players in this role but I would give it a try with what I have at my disposal. Usually I always end up playing a complete forward out there.
Yeah, somebody has to make space for the left IF.