Shiraz

Reaction score
Hi All,

I would like to share the tactic that I have been using with Man United. It has been hugely successful and is built on United's strengths but it should be successful with any other top team as well, provided they have players with high Stamina, Work Rate, Passing and fast defenders with good Anticipation and Positioning.

I am not going to upload the tactic because it is made solely using the TC aside from one tweak (Setting the playmaker to "None") so will take less than 2 minutes to make yourself.

It is a fast paced direct attacking 4-4-2 with flying wingers:

73OtN.jpg

And that is my usual first 11 as well.

Here are my fixtures (minus the last one against Everton away. It ended 1-1):

jbzag.jpg

And the league table:

eV9DF.jpg

I drew the last 3 matches and conceded 4 which is almost the same number of goals conceded in the previous 26 matches as you can see. For the drawn CL games, I played weakened teams as I had already qualified.

It was mostly plug and play but did I change the strategy to Counter against the bigger teams (Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs) away from home.

Also, I used no OI's and my pitch size is the maxmium.

These are my squad stats at the moment:

muvO8.jpg

Vidic has scored more goals than I would like but I have been using the default set-piece setup so no idea why. That said though, 10 goals in 25 matches is not a ridiculous amount by any means.

I would like to stress again that this tactic was made taking maximum advantage of the Man United squad's strengths so will probably not work with a smaller team and would work best with Man United.

Give it a try and let us know the results. If you have any questions, I will be glad to answer them :)

Edit: Also, it could be coincidence but it seems like I started to concede more and score a little less frequently when I changed the Match Prep from 'Very High - No specific focus' to 'Low - Teamwork'. I have changed it to 'Low - No specific focus' for my last game against Newcastle away and beat them 3-1 creating 7 CCC's

So I would suggest setting the Match Prep to 'Very High - No specific focus' until the tactic is fluid and then change to 'Average - No specific focus' and add a counter variation of the tactic to match prep (Simply change the strategy of the above tactic to counter)

Credits to TheBetterHalf (FM-Base), LlamaZA, Cleon and Marsupian (SI Forums) whose posts/threads assisted me alot.

Last edited:
And for those who cannot view the tactic image clearly :)

GK - Goalkeeper, Defend
DR - Full Back, Support
DCR - Central Defender, Stopper
DCL - Central Defender, Cover
DL - Full Back, Support
MR - Winger, Attack
MCR - Deep-Lying Playmaker, Support
MCL - Ball-Winning Midfielder, Defend
ML - Winger, Attack
STCR - Trequartista, Attack
STCL - Poacher, Attack

Team Instructions:

Passing - More Direct
Creative Freedom - Default
Closing Down - Press More
Tackling - Default
Marking - Zonal
Crossing - Default
Roaming - More Roaming

Philosophy - Balanced
Starting Strategy - Control\Counter

Oh, and set the Playmaker to "None"

I don't see why not. Not sure if Spurs have a decent Trequartista though? Because Rooney has been the heartbeat of my team, scoring 15 and creating 13

Where is the download link?
Oh, sorry.

Last edited:
Just had my first loss of the season against City away. I started of with Counter and after conceding 2 penalties within 30 minutes, I changed to Control and the rest of the game played out with no further goals. Really gutted to lose 2-0, more than anything because it now means that I have conceded 11 goals for the season in the league. I was hoping to keep it under 10

Finished the season on my save:

Also, here are my full season results:

WaAkx.jpg

7uTHQ.jpg

jOQya.jpg

ygsgt.jpg

One change I did make toward the end of the season was instead of playing with a Counter strategy away to the bigger teams, I played a Standard strategy against Arsenal, Chelsea and Napoli. I felt that with counter I was being dominated too much and conceding as a result of the pressure. Also, I am not going to play FM for a while after finishing half a season in 1 day! No idea why I did that! Just wanted to finish the season I suppose and be done with this save :D

Also, not sure if anyone is interested but I have come up with another tactic although I have not tested it yet but if you're playing with Dortmund and the squad is near to what they have at the start of the game, you can give this a try and let me know how it goes?

eWUo6.jpg

I think it could work with other teams as well.