Manchester United: The Road to Redemption

TheMaestro

Reaction score
Chapter 1: A New Era

The Badge.png

Manchester United. A club with such an incredibly rich history, but it has all gone wrong over the past decade. Ever since the departure of Sir Alex Ferguson, United have failed to win the Premier League, and they appear to be in a downwards spiral. Things seemed to take an upward step after the club finished 3rd last season in manager Erik Ten Hag's first season with the club, but, in the 2023-24 season, Ten Hag's side have failed to improve on the foundations set in the previous campaign. Instead, they appear to have taken a backwards step. They sit 6th in the league, have lost 7 of their 16 games, and finished bottom of their Champions League group, conceding 15 goals in 6 group stage games.

Club History.png

Getting this club back to where it used to be will be a long-term task. There are several areas of the club which need to be overhauled, some of which we will be able to address in this first season, others which will take multiple years to address. There is definitely stability issues rooted within the club as well. The club has made some rash decisions and there has been considerable criticism levelled at the ownership of Avram and Joel Glazer. Sir Jim Ratcliffe is, in real life, set to acquire a stake in the club and this change of ownership could bring about change in the club. We'll be looking to make several adjustments to the way the club is run, although there is, of course, only so much a manager can do in terms of the entire club structure.

The rebuild starts now, can we get Manchester United back to the big time?

Chapter 2: The Transition Begins

Alejandro Garnacho.jpg

Alejandro Garnacho

There is no time to waste and we wanted to begin making changes from the off. With a transfer budget of just 6 million pounds, it was going to be a case of making sales before buys, but we were looking to rid ourselves of several players. Moreover, I wanted to make several changes to the backroom staff.

Tactics

Tactics.png

I immediately laid out my tactical vision for the squad. I'm not set on a vertical tiki-taka approach, but it is what I've gone with for now, however a control possession style is in my plans as well. One of my main criticisms of United this season is that they seem to have abandoned any of the tactical identity they had under Ten Hag last season. I'm keen on ensuring the squad focuses on having possession with a purpose, which is to say that I've seen a lot of United games this season, and it often appears as if, when they do try to keep the ball, it often has no clear aim, but seems like possession for the sake of it.

Player Sales

Scott McTominay.png

First out the door was centre midfielder Scott McTominay. There's no denying he works hard and has been amongst the goals of late, but his overall quality in midfield is simply a step below where we need to be. Chelsea's deal for him is a loan with 13.5 million in instalments and an optional future fee of an additional 14.75 million, which I'd argue is not a bad return for the Scotsman.

Facundo Pellistri.png

I'm keen to prioritise youth players this season, but as I'm planning on lining up with a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond setup, it meant that Facundo Pellistri was left somewhat out of my plans, being a natural winger. Although I did want to give him a chance in the first team, I do think a loan move will do him good, and he's off to Rangers for the season where he should hopefully do well.

Raphael Varane.png

I did not plan to sell Raphael Varane on arriving at the club, but a 70 million pound deal for the 30-year-old was a great offer and one that proved too good to turn down. Moreover, Varane was desperate to make the move happen. He's off to Saudi Arabia to join Al-Hilal and we'll be in the market for a new centre-back following his departure.

Donny Van de Beek.png

It's been sad to watch Donny van de Beek's time at United, as he's constantly been blighted by injuries which have truly hampered his career. Although I do like him, his injury history meant that he was on the transfer list and he joins Juventus for 12 million pounds.

Victor Lindelof.png

Victor Lindelof is a serviceable player for the club, but it felt like the right time to move him on to his next club as well. He's been at the club for decent amount of time - nearly seven years - but he moves on the Spanish capital and joins Real Madrid for just over 20 million pounds.

Two players who I didn't manage to get off the books that I was looking to sell were Anthony Martial and Antony. I plan to play neither of them and essentially force them out of the club, although, with our lack of depth up front, Martial may have a role to play. I feel the Frenchman is simply no longer good enough. Antony is on the outs for two reasons. First, because I'm playing with no wingers, and second, for off the pitch reasons in real life that mean I'd rather not have him in the team.

Player Signings

Alidu Seidu.png

18 August.png

Onto the incomings now, and our first deal was a relatively cheap one. Alidu Seidu is a 23-year-old defender who is capable of player anywhere across the backline and that is one of the main reasons we've gone in for him. He's a solid rotational option and that'll be key in a squad that doesn't have too much in the way of depth.

Joachim Andersen.png

22nd August i.png

Our next deal was a 30 million pound transfer for Joachim Andersen of Crystal Palace. One of my main priorities was to find players that fit the system I wanted to play - and that meant players who were good with the ball at their feet. Andersen has a terrific passing range and will slot nicely alongside Lisandro Martinez at centre-back. I also looked into his centre-back partner Marc Guehi as a potential option, but Andersen has that extra edge when it comes to playing passes out from the back, and he was also the less expensive option of the two.

Lazar Samardzic.png

22nd August ii.png

We needed reinforcements in midfield as well, although that could be said for just about every position right now. To bolster that midfield area, though, we've brought in Serbian midfielder Lazar Samardzic for 42.5 million pounds from Udinese and I'm excited about what he can bring to the team. He's got great technical ability and, at just 21 years of age, has plenty of room left to develop.

Matheus Nascimento.png

31st August.png

We left our fourth and final signing to deadline day, and that was a deal for Brazilian youngster Matheus Nascimento. Given I'm lining up with two strikers, we do have a distinct lack of options in that position, and although he's gone straight back on loan to Botafogo, he looks like a bright prospect for the future.

Agustin Hausch.png
Efrain Morales.png

It's also worth noting that I left my assistant manager, Mitchell van der Gaag, in charge of transfers for the U21 and U18 squads. He made two deals across the window, with ST Agustin Hausch and CB Efrain Morales coming in to the club.

Staff Changes

Director of Football.png

I normally wouldn't detail staff hires beyond a brief mention, but, in saying, I also normally wouldn't fire my Director of Football and Technical Director either. We had two assistant managers as well, so I've let Steve McLaren go as I felt he didn't fit the vision I was trying to achieve. The new Director of Football at the club is Nottingham Forest's Ross Wilson. Forest have infamously made a ton of signings since making it back into the Premier League, but I believe that Wilson's attributes suit the squad well.

Nicolas Burdisso.png

I mentioned that I let our technical director Darren Fletcher leave, and in to the club comes Argentinian Nicolas Burdisso of AFC Fiorentina. Again, he brings a fresh approach to the staff and I think it was important to alter the current members of the backroom staff, as I seek to overhaul each area of the club to best set us up for the future of the football club.

Fixtures

EPL Matchday 1: Everton vs Manchester United

14th August.png

We open our 2023/24 Premier League campaign with a somewhat uninspiring 0-0 draw away to Everton. There were glimpses of my intended playstyle which was enough to leave me coming away from the came not wholly disappointed. Yes, it would've been nice to win, but we were a little depleted and, if nothing else, we were solid throughout.

EPL Matchday 2: Manchester United vs Manchester City

19th August.png

I avoided any major pre-match build-up to the Manchester derby as I was fully expecting us to be on the end of a defeat, even at Old Trafford, which is never the mentality I should be going into matches with. In the case of this game, though, I was delighted to be proven wrong, as a brace from Alejandro Garnacho saw us to a 2-0 victory. City had chances, as they always do, but I was pleased with how we played and felt we deserved the victory. I did, incidentally, before the Everton game, switch to the control possession template, with the same formation though.

EPL Matchday 3: Manchester United vs Newcastle

26th August.png

It was another tough home game up next, with Newcastle coming to Old Trafford. However, we once again proved victorious, with a second consecutive 2-0 win. We are not blowing our opponents out of the water, necessarily, but we are converting our chances and remaining solid at the other end. A great start to the season.

Club News

Champions League Draw.png

We had our Champions League group drawn. I'd say it was a favourable draw, but after witnessing United's disastrous campaign in real life, I'm hesitant to make any comment until the matches begin. Let's say that I'd be disappointed if we didn't qualify for the Round of 16, though.

Injury List.png

As of the end of August, our injury list currently ranks highest in the league, and a fair few of those are for a couple months. The fact that we've dealt with this extent of injuries makes our start to the campaign even more impressive.

League Table

League Table.png

3 games, 2 wins, 7 points, 0 goals conceded. A good set of numbers so far if you ask me.

Player of the Month

Player of the Month.png

Andre Onana may have had his troubles for United in real life, but, for three clean sheets from three games, he's earnt the Player of the Month award for me.

This has felt like an incredibly long post, and probably could've (and should've) been split into two, but it's good to have gotten everything that happened across July and August out of the way. The next ones will be shorter in length, but I think the fact that the post was as long as it was is indicative of how much change needed to be made in just my first couple of months with the club.

Chapter 3: Champions League Begins

Andre Onana.jpg

Andre Onana

EPL Matchday 4: Burnley vs Manchester United

3rd September.png

Our good start to the Premier League campaign continued with a routine win over Burnley. Joachim Andersen wasn't brought in for his goals, but he netted twice in five minutes by heading in from set pieces, before Jadon Sancho came off the bench to add a third.

EPL Matchday 5: Manchester United vs Luton Town

17th September.png

Five games in, and we've yet to concede a goal. Although it was a comfortable enough game, Andre Onana was the Man of the Match as he made a wonderful late penalty save to keep his clean sheet intact.

UCL Matchday 1: Manchester United vs Sevilla

20th September (UCL).png

Onana follows up his spectacular game against Luton with an absolute clanger. He's been fantastic for us so far, so I'm reluctant to put this loss solely on him, but a pair of mistakes gifted Sevilla two goals. He was unable to hold Sergio Ramos shot, and then a loose pass out from the back led directly to the winner. Our first loss in all competitions, as our Champions League campaign gets off on the wrong foot despite the fact that we actually played quite well.

EPL Matchday 6: Brentford vs Manchester United

23rd September.png

Back to the league and back to winning ways. We went 1-0 down after just 3 minutes, clearly showing some lingering effects after the Champions League defeat, but we responded well. It took us a while to get ourselves in front, but Harry Maguire was the man to do it with a thumping header. It was good to see Hannibal Mejbri come off the bench to score as well.

Carabao Cup 3rd Round: Bristol Rovers vs Manchester United

26th September.png

Our first five games saw a total of 9 goals scored, all for us. Our next three have seen 19 goals scored, 10 by us, whilst we've conceded 9 times. It's been a hectic period after the more secure brand of football we were showing in the first few weeks. The important thing is that we won, but conceding 3 to Bristol Rovers isn't ideal - not the best way for backup goalkeeper Altay Bayindir to introduce himself after I decided to give him a debut in this one.

EPL Matchday 7: Manchester United vs Fulham

30th September.png

A much more assured performance was provided at home to Fulham, as we won 2-0, where the damage was done within the first 25 minutes of the match. Sergio Reguilon scored a somewhat fortuitous opener - his first goal for the club - before Marcus Rashford added the second.

League Table

League Table.png

Not sure what's more surprising - the fact that we're top, or that Newcastle are bottom after 6 games.

Player of the Month

POTM.png

Rasmus Hojlund and Marcus Rashford/Alejandro Garnacho have started to form a nice connection as our front two. The Danish international helped himself to 6 goals this month, and that is worthy of a Player of the Month award for the 20 year old.

Chapter 4: A Tough Run of Form

Rasmus Hojlund.jpg

Rasmus Hojlund

UCL Matchday 2: Union Berlin vs Manchester United

3rd October.png

Our Champions League group has started in a far from ideal manner, as we've lost and drawn our first two games respectively. We endured a frustrating time of things as we drew 0-0 away to Union Berlin. Unlike the Sevilla game where we played well but lost, we couldn't put it together and we can perhaps consider ourselves slightly lucky not to have lost this game as well.

EPL Matchday 8: Wolves vs Manchester United

8th October.png

We drop points again, this time in the league. Wolves started well and took a deserved lead in the 23rd minute through Hwang, but we responded proactively and had the game turned around in the second half to lead 2-1. An unfortunate own goal saw the ball ricochet off the crossbar and onto the back of Andre Onana, which saw the game finish level at 2-2.

EPL Matchday 9: Manchester United vs Chelsea

21st October.png

We then got an important and deserved win over Chelsea. The first half was a fairly even contested, and that was reflected by a 1-1 scoreline headed into the break. However, we came out aggressive and dominated the second period. It took us a while but eventually Alejandro Garnacho fired home a 79th minute goal to give us victory.

UCL Matchday 3: Manchester United vs RB Salzburg

24th October.png

Our Champions League frustrations only continued to grow as we drew at home to RB Salzburg. It was a great game for the neutrals, with both teams offering positive and attacking football, but neither side could find a winner. It hasn't gone to plan for us on the continental stage so far, and we'll need to start producing more convincing performances if we're to progress from the group.

EPL Matchday 10: Liverpool vs Manchester United

29th October.png

Facing Liverpool at Anfield is a contender for our toughest game of the season, and, of course, with it being such a massive rivalry, one that we had to properly be up for. We ended up losing for the first time this league campaign, but we can hold our heads high. We countered Liverpool's gameplan really well and had some great chances on the break. Unfortunately, a late goal from Cody Gakpo condemned us to defeat in this one.

League Table

League Table.png

The league table still looks quite positive despite the fact that Liverpool's win against us sees them overtake us in the ladder.

Player of the Month

POTM.png

One half of the front two, Rasmus Hojlund, was Player of the Month for September, and his strike partner. Marcus Rashford, earns it for October. Good to see the two of them blossoming in the system so far, as I was unsure about how effective Rashford would be as a striker, but thankfully he's proved great up front.

Chapter 5: Heading Out of the Champions League?

Marcus Rashford.jpeg

Marcus Rashford

Carabao Cup 4th Round: Manchester United vs Newcastle

1st November.png

We progress in the Carabao Cup and book our place in the quarter finals of the competition that the club won last season. It was not a hugely exciting game, and a relatively early goal from Rasmus Hojlund was enough to see us through.

EPL Matchday 11: Manchester United vs AFC Bournemouth

4th November.png

A brace from Alejandro Garnacho got the job done as we see off Bournemouth in a 2-0 win. Although we controlled much of the game, it remained on edge until late as we had just a 1 goal lead, but thankfully the Argentinian's second goal confirmed our victory.

UEFA Champions League Matchday 4: RB Salzburg vs Manchester United

8th November.png

It's no wins in four games in the Champions League this campaign and we are at serious risk of missing out on qualification for the knockout stages. After we took a 2-0 lead in the first half, I was feeling good about our chances of winning, but they got back into it quickly and despite both sides having chances to win it, neither could find that elusive third goal.

EPL Matchday 12: West Ham vs Manchester United

12th November.png

Fixtures are coming in thick and fast at the moment, and this away day to West Ham was our fourth game in twelve days. After using our full strength eleven in an unsuccessful bid for victory against RB Salzburg, we had to rotate for this game against the Hammers. Unfortunately, one of those players who was given a rare chance today - Tyrell Malacia - scored an unfortunate own goal in the 78th minute and condemned us to a 1-0 defeat. We've a much needed international break up next.

EPL Matchday 13: Manchester United vs Nottingham Forest

25th November.png

Nottingham Forest were struggling and came into this game in 20th place. A 13th minute red card for them certainly didn't do them any favours, and from then out we took full advantage and notched a convincing 5-0 victory. It'd be harsh to say we were wasteful in a game where we scored 5, but we did miss a number of good chances as well. Good to see Amad Diallo scoring off the bench in this one too, as he's fresh off the back of a three month injury.

UEFA Champions League Matchday 5: Sevilla vs Manchester United

28th November.png

Vital. Anything but a win in our last two Champions League games would see us knocked out. We got the first one of those games out the way with a narrow but crucial victory over Sevilla. I had one gameplan in mind - start fast, score a goal, and then sit in and contain the opposition. We did exactly that and, after RB Salzburg beat Union Berlin, we're left in a position where a win against the German outfit at home in our last group stage game will be enough to see us through.

League Table

League Table.png

Despite having some up and down form over the last two months, we remain one point off the top of the Premier League table. December is a very busy month, though, and our lack of overall squad depth could be tested once again.

Player of the Month

POTM.png

Mason Mount has quietly been doing well for us all season, but this month he stepped up into the spotlight and performed terrifically when needed most.

Chapter 6: A Busy (And Crucial) Month

Mason Mount.jpg

Mason Mount

EPL Matchday 14: Aston Villa vs Manchester United

3rd December.png

The packed, congested month that is December in England got off to a difficult start, as we lost 2-1 to Aston Villa away from home. I had to rotate a number of players and, considering the squad, we put up a decent fight, but it was not to be.

EPL Matchday 15: Sheffield United vs Manchester United

6th December.png

We rebound with a comfortable victory over relegation battling Sheffield United. Aaron Wan-Bissaka scored a rare goal for the club before Rasmus Hojlund doubled our advantage. I opted to conserve energy over the next 50 minutes by not making any of the players run too hard and instead keeping the score safe.

EPL Matchday 16: Manchester United vs Arsenal

9th December.png

One of the reasons I'd done that was because, just three days later, we had a massive fixture against Arsenal coming up. It was a plan that paid off, as we ran out 2-0 winners against Mikel Arteta's soaring Gunners, who had overtaken us in the table after our loss to Aston Villa. We go right back above them with a really good win and performance.

UCL Matchday 6: Manchester United vs Union Berlin

13th December.png

We progress through to the Round of 16 in the Champions League, despite the fact that we failed to win any of our first four group games. In the previous game against Sevilla, I set us up to attack for the first 20 minutes and then sit back afterward, which worked as we scored early and won 1-0. This time, though, we had raced into a 3-0 lead by the 20th minute, which eased a lot of the pressure off my shoulders. They did manage one goal back but nothing more.

UCL Table.png

At the beginning of the tournament, I would've wanted us to top this group, but I'm relieved to get through in the end.

18th December.png

One of the reasons I wanted us to finish 1st in the group was to avoid Round of 16 ties like this one. We're going to face FC Barcelona in the Round of 16 in what will be an extremely tough test for us. Though, if you remember, Manchester United eliminated the Catalan giants from the Europa League in real life last season, so it can be done.

EPL Matchday 17: Brighton vs Manchester United

17th December.png

We manage a point against Brighton away from home. Our squad depth is lacking at the moment and several of the players are really fatigued, so I am content with this result. Again, line-ups, positions and tactics have changed from game to game amidst fixtures coming thick and fast, and those inconsistencies within the team will likely produce equally inconsistent results.

Carabao Cup Quarter Final: Brighton vs Manchester United

20th December (CC QF).png

It was an exact repeat just a few days later fixture-wise, as we faced Brighton away in the Carabao Cup quarter final. This time, we managed a 1-0 win to see us through to the semi-finals. An impressive performance could've seen us score more, but regardless, we move on as we look to retain the Carabao Cup trophy.

EPL Matchday 18: Manchester United vs Tottenham

23rd December.png

We produce one of our best performances of the season so far in a 4-0 thrashing of Tottenham at Old Trafford. I had us playing at a reduced intensity for several of the games this month, but none of that was on display here. The full time score of 4-0 is reflective of our dominance, although we should've been more than 1 up by the time Christian Eriksen converted a 74th minute penalty to make it 2-0. We then produced a dazzling five minute spell that resulted in another two goals and a great win.

EPL Matchday 19: Crystal Palace vs Manchester United

26th December.png

It's 4 goals scored in consecutive games, as we manage a 4-1 win over Crystal Palace. This game was quite different to the Spurs one, as Crystal Palace gave us a tough game for long stretches. They could've perhaps had more than one in the first half, and we were behind going into the break. However, we produced a much better second half after a lethargic opening period, and that resulted in a thorough and comprehensive turnaround.

EPL Matchday 20: Manchester United vs Wolves

29th December.png

A heavily rotated squad to end the month, but a positive, spirited performance gives us a 2-0 win over Wolves. Amad Diallo has proved a real asset over the past few games and he grabbed both goals to guide us to victory.

League Table

League Table.png

I was not expecting to see us top at this stage, especially after a really difficult month worth of fixtures. However, we've gotten help from our reserves and a lot of rotational players have really pulled through in the absence of key ones. I had no ambition for the title in season one in all honesty, but a five point gap after twenty games means we well and truly have a chance. I still maintain that we don't yet have enough sheer quality to finish as champions, but this is turning into a great season nonetheless.

Player of the Month

POTM.png

There are a lot of candidates as we truly proved our worth as a collective this month, but I'm going to give it to club captain and team leader Bruno Fernandes. I did mention and praise the impact that our squad players have made this month, but Fernandes' contributions have continued to be immense, and he racked up the assists this month, warranting the award.

Golden Boy.png

Our young striker Rasmus Hojlund also managed to get himself the Golden Boy award this month which is great to see!

Chapter 7: January Window Opens

Bruno Fernandes.jpg

Bruno Fernandes

EPL Matchday 21: Fulham vs Manchester United

1st January.png

We start off the month with a comfortable victory over Fulham with in-form man Rasmus Hojlund adding two more to his tally for the season.

FA Cup 3rd Round: Manchester United vs Coventry

6th Jan (FA Cup 3rd Round).png

Not the most convincing as we needed a penalty to see ourselves through in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup. It was a rotated squad - and a youthful one at that - but I still expected a little more firepower than what we showed here.

Carabao Cup Semi Final 1st Leg: Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United

9th January.png

It was to be a second 1-0 victory in as many games, and another cup victory. We just about win the first leg of our Carabao Cup semi final fixture against Nottingham Forest, though Andre Onana did have to make some important saves.

EPL Matchday 22: Manchester United vs Liverpool

13th Jan.png

A massive game as we took on Liverpool at Old Trafford. In front of a capacity crowd, though, we couldn't make home advantage count, although we did give it a good go. I still don't see us as being on Liverpool's level despite our unexpected league position, but it would've been good to take something from this one.

17th January.png

What was more disappointing than that result though was having to accept this transfer. Diogo Dalot has been playing exceptionally well for us lately and I tried to do all I could to convince him to stay, but he had his heart set on a move to Arsenal and my hand was forced. Tough to see but he's off to join one of our biggest title rivals.

Carabao Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg: Manchester United vs Nottingham Forest

23rd Jan.png

We looked to be set for the Carabao Cup final as we led 2-0 on the night and 3-0 on aggregate after 30 minutes of the second leg, but a quick fightback from Forest in the second half made things a little nervy. Thankfully, we managed to see out the game and Harry Maguire scored a late penalty to ensure our progression into the final of the competition.

FA Cup 4th Round: Manchester United vs Morecambe

27th Jan.png

It's a case of one cup result duplicating the previous one for the second time this month, as we win back-to-back cup ties 3-2. Again, we rotated and it was somewhat unconvincing. The score was 0-0 at the break at home to League Two opposition in Morecambe, and, when we seemingly had turned on the style to score 3 in 13 minutes and secure victory, they scored two goals in six minutes to make things nervy once more. Not our best, but we're through to the 5th round of the FA Cup.

28th January.png

Harry Maguire has certainly had a mixed time of things at United to say the least, but it's now come to end as he moves to Inter Milan for 20 million pounds. I wasn't actively looking to move him on, but once the bid came in, I was happy to accept it. He ended his career with the club on a positive though after netting that 93rd minute penalty in his last game for the club against Nottingham Forest.

EPL Matchday 23: Chelsea vs Manchester United

30th Jan ii.png

Not the worst result as we draw 1-1 to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, but at the same time, it could've been better, and it was looking like it would be for large portions of the game as we led for over an hour. Unfortunately, a late equaliser from Noni Madueke meant the points were shared.

30th January.png

Ivan Fresneda.png

After a few unexpected depatures this month, it was time to make some signings of our own to cover the losses of both Diogo Dalot and Harry Maguire. Another of the main reasons I was reluctant to let Dalot leave was the lack of applicable replacements that we could go after. The man I opted for in the end was Ivan Fresneda from Sporting CP. At just 19, the young right-back has lots of room for growth and looks like he could turn into a great player. He's not at his level right now, but I've got a lot of faith in him to fulfill the high potential he comes in with.

31st January.png

Strahinja Pavlovic.png

At first, I was unsure as to whether we needed a Maguire replacement given he'd had a lack of appearances for the side this season. It ended up being somewhat of a late decision to try and sign someone to fill his shoes, but I think I made the right call in the end. Strahinja Pavlovic comes in for a big fee, but he looks like a commanding, strong centre-back that could be exactly what we need.

Chapter 8: Crucial Cup and League Fixtures

Caldirola.jpg

Casemiro

EPL Matchday 24: Manchester United vs Crystal Palace

3rd Feb.png

We kicked the month off with a (fairly) dominant win over Crystal Palace. The game was poised at 0-0 at half-time, but by the 70th minute, we had established a commanding 3-0 lead. Strahinja Pavlovic even managed a goal on his United debut in stoppage time.

EPL Matchday 25: Tottenham vs Manchester United

7th Feb.png

This always had the look of a difficult fixture about it. Spurs are starting to make a push into the top 4 over the last few games, and, although we held it at 0-0 for long stretches, a goal looked inevitable. They got 2 in the last 10 minutes to consign us to defeat.

EPL Matchday 26: Manchester City vs Manchester United

10th Feb.png

Another tough result as we are outclassed in the Manchester derby. After winning the reverse fixture at Old Trafford, we had some hope of a famous double over the Citizens, but it wasn't to be, as they came to play and we never really got a foot in. A poor performance.

EPL Matchday 27: Manchester United vs Everton

17th Feb.png

We get back to winning ways before the first leg of our Champions League clash with FC Barcelona. The damage was done swiftly as we led 2-0 within 8 minutes. With the Barcelona game in just 3 days, I told the players not to run too hard after that and contain the match, which they did to perfection.

UEFA Champions League Round of 16: Manchester United vs FC Barcelona

20th Feb.png

A frustrating result. The Camp Nou is an incredibly difficult place for us to travel to, and so drawing 0-0 at our home ground doesn't bode particularly well for us. We could just as easily have lost as well, as Barcelona were the better team and should've scored at least once, if not twice.

Carabao Cup Final: Tottenham vs Manchester United

25th Feb.png

A second 0-0 draw in a row, but this one gives us more to cheer about - as we retain the Carabao Cup! It went all the way to spot kicks, as both sides had chances which they failed to take, and, in the end, Andre Onana is the hero as he saved Ben Davies penalty to ensure that we win our first piece of silverware in charge of the club.

FA Cup 5th Round: Manchester United vs Brentford

28th Feb (FA Cup 5th Round).png

The one problem with going deep into tournaments and simultaneously being involved in Europe as well, is fixture congestion. We've had a lot of games, and we've looked fatigued in a lot of them as well. Thankfully, a heavily rotated team pulled through and comfortably see us through to the next round of the FA Cup. Aaron Wan-Bissaka opened the scoring in what was a rare goal for him, and it proved smooth sailing from then on out.

League Table

League Table.png

We sit 3rd in the league now, but just a point behind both Arsenal and Liverpool. Newcastle are right behind us as well, and the title race is definitely heating up. The losses to City and Spurs have certainly fired them up as well, and we'll have to be wary as we look to, at the very least, ensure our spot in the Top 4.

Player of the Month

POTM.png

Andre Onana saved a decisive penalty to win us a trophy, and that alone should be enough to earn him this award for the month. However, the Cameroonian also kept 4 clean sheets and was a steady and consistent fixture in the side when a lot of changes were being made to the line-up around him.

Chapter 9: The Season's End Draws Near

Jadon Sancho.jpg

Jadon Sancho

EPL Matchday 28: Manchester United vs Brighton

2nd March.png

We begin the month of February with a slight, but important, 1-0 victory over Brighton. The game was not full of chances, but Bruno Fernandes' 32nd goal was enough to see us through to victory.

EPL Matchday 29: Arsenal vs Manchester United

9th March.png

After falling to 3rd last month, our title hopes take another dent as Arsenal manage to earn a 1-0 victory over us at the Emirates Stadium. We had a few moments on the counter to equalise, but Arsenal just about deserved the win they got.

UEFA Champions League Round of 16 2nd Leg: FC Barcelona vs Manchester United

13th March ii.png

We crash out of the Champions League at the Round of 16 stage and, to be honest, I never expected anything else after we drew FC Barcelona in the knock-outs. We'd been underwhelming in the group stages as well, and deservedly are eliminated from the competition. Hopefully, we'll be back next year and do a better job of it.

13th March.png

Our exit from the Champions League was made worse by the fact that striker Rasmus Hojlund - who has been instrumental for us this season so far - will miss the next month with a knee injury.

FA Cup Quarter Final: Manchester United vs AFC Bournemouth

17th March.png

We rebound after disappointments in both the league and Champions League, recording a comfortable 3-0 victory over Bournemouth to see us through to the FA Cup Semi Final. Our season so far is, in many ways, mirroring that of Erik Ten Hag's first year in charge, where United won the Carabao Cup (as did I), made the FA Cup Final (we're in the semi-finals and are faced up against Birmingham), and finished 3rd (we currently sit 3rd) in the Premier League.

EPL Matchday 30: Manchester United vs Sheffield United

20th March.png

After the loss to Arsenal in our last league game, a home fixture to Sheffield United seemed like the kind of match-up we needed to boost morale. However, overconfidence seemed to factor into our play, as we found ourselves 1-0 down at half-time to the Blades. Thankfully, we turned it around in the second half, but it wasn't without a few scares.

EPL Matchday 31: Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United

30th March.png

A second 3-1 victory in a row, and this one had a lot less nerves involved as we led 2-0 within half an hour, and ultimately ended up 3-1 victors over Nottingham Forest.

League Table

League Table.png

With 7 games to go, the title is still within our grasp. Liverpool, however, have started to notch up win after win and have established a four point gap between themselves, us, and Arsenal.

Player of the Month

POTM.png

Alejandro Garnacho has been a great option up front for us all season long, and this month, the wonderkid shone once more. A key player, whether it be coming off the bench to provide a spark, or from the start.

Chapter 10: Title Race Continues

Tyrell Malacia.jpg

Tyrell Malacia

EPL Matchday 32: Manchester United vs West Ham

3rd April.png

We kick off the month with a convincing 3-0 victory over West Ham. The game was in the balance for 80 minutes or so, but eventually we managed a second and added another after that to ensure victory.

EPL Matchday 33: Manchester United vs Aston Villa

6th April.png

We follow that up with another comfortable home win, this time against an Aston Villa side who have been great recently. This was a great performance from us as we made a very good Villa side look pretty ordinary, and did the damge early in the second half.

EPL Matchday 34: AFC Bournemouth vs Manchester United

13th April.png

A tough encounter, but a crucial 1-0 win over AFC Bournemouth. They contained us pretty well throughout, limiting our chances, but an early strike from Rasmus Hojlund on his injury return was enough to earn us a vital three points.

FA Cup Semi Final: Manchester United vs Birmingham City

21st April i.png

Not as pretty or as comfortable as I'd have liked it to be, but we're through to the FA Cup Final. Championship side Birmingham gave us a difficult time of things. Their goalkeeper saved a penalty and made numerous other stops, but his heroics weren't enough to prevent us from winning the tie.

21st April ii.png

It did come at the expense of an injury to Lazar Samardzic, who will miss the rest of the season with sprained knee ligaments.

21st April.png

We'll face Chelsea in the FA Cup final, with the chance of completing a domestic cup double with the Carabao Cup already secured.

EPL Matchday 35: Manchester United vs Burnley

27th April.png

Burnley's 43rd goal through Zeki Amdouni was our first goal conceded of the month, but the more important of our two streaks in April was maintained - that being winning all of our games. A terrific month in the most important part of the season.

League Table

League Table.png

With three games to go, we are top of the league, having won all of our last 6 games. Liverpool have dropped two of their last 5 games and we've got a genuine chance of winning the Premier League.

Player of the Month

POTM.png

Luke Shaw has been fantastic recently, and has done an outstanding job both in attack and defence. His performances have been incredible as we look to win an unlikely title this season.

Reminds me of my own rollercoaster journey with a local team. We had our highs and lows, but through it all, the support never wavered. Maybe United's road to redemption is just around the corner. The Premier League is full of surprises, and who knows, they might just turn it around.

Last edited: