lucascain

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First post here. Decided to buy the game recently having not played since FM 08.

Having started with Tottenham, I'm really struggling. As you can see from the screenshots below I'm looking for advice on all aspects.

jsm6tj.jpg

2uroxu9.jpg

o09c9v.jpg

fvxopv.jpg

As you can see my results have been poor to say the least. I've been switching and changing tactics and players, but can't seem to find any decent tactic. I'm getting outplayed and beaten by teams such as Sunderland, Fulham etc.

Can anyone help?

Try JPWoody's 4-2-3-1, works well as Defoe can play as a poacher. Also recomend changing your starting lineup when you play, Tom Huddlestone and Michael Dawson should start every game. I also think that in January you should try and sign a decent left back as Gareth Bale is not being used at his best will sitting in the left back position. Hope I helped :)

I think the balance and make-up of your team is questionable.

1. Can't see but i'm guessing Corluka is also a defensive fullback in RB, thats all 4 defenders on defense plus a holding defensive player... 5 players staying back is way to many for a team of Spurs standing.

2. Who is going to score? Defoe and Modric are only players who are really in goal scoring positions and can actual score, thats not many.

3. How are you going to create goals? Lennon's value is in his pace and crossing but Modric and Defoe are harderly the best targets to cross at. Kranjcar can create a bit if used correctly.

4. Your playing Attack Mentality with 5 Defensive role players.. Your also playing Fluidly so players are ment to play in all stages (defend/transition/attack) yet really your roles suggest you want them to play Very Rigid or Rigid with the 4 defenders defending, the midfielders supporting and the attackers attacking. Fluid also tends to require better all round players that have good decisions and have gelled so they get that "you go forward whilst I cover".

5. Stick with a tactic and team for a few games. Changing things so much will not help the team gel or get used to there role in the team and how the players around them will behave.

6. Team Talks, don't underestimate them. Check the motivation of your team during a game and the players stats. For example Modric is Unh (guess Man Utd bid for him like always) and he typically was Complacent and played poorly.

If you want to stick to that formation I would:
- Set Bale to Attack and Hug Touchline.
- Set Kranjcar to Wide Midfield Support and have him Normal/Cut Inside to give Bale space outside.
- Set Lennon to Winger Attack, Corluka is behind him on Defend so you have cover, get him attacking the fullback.
- Use Crouch or Pavlyuchenko. With Lennon on one touchline and Bale on the other you should get good supply. If want to use Defoe then you want to sell Lennon and buy a Inside Forward type of player who can score and create goals with through balls rather than crossing.
- Switch to Rigid or Balanced. Balanced will see your FB's get further forward, consider using Naughton or Hutton instead of Corluka for a bit better attacking option against weaker teams (or teams with weaker left wingers)
- Start games on Standard then go from there. Poor Morale will see players perform worse unless you can raise it with team talks and pre-match press talks so even if you outclass the opponents you might not out play them as you should until morale rises.

Give changes a go for a few games and let us know how things are going, there's pleanty of other things I could suggest.

Mr. Hough nuff said

Try JPWoody's 4-2-3-1

Suggesting other people's tactics is not going to help him - he needs to understand why his tactics aren't working for himself. 'Fortunate is he who can understand the cause of things' ;)

Great post by Preston! :O

@ lucascain - Have you read Tactical Theorems '10? If not I would - it will help tremedously in your understanding of tactics :)

Hi guys,

First post here. Decided to buy the game recently having not played since FM 08.

Having started with Tottenham, I'm really struggling. As you can see from the screenshots below I'm looking for advice on all aspects.

jsm6tj.jpg

2uroxu9.jpg

o09c9v.jpg

fvxopv.jpg

As you can see my results have been poor to say the least. I've been switching and changing tactics and players, but can't seem to find any decent tactic. I'm getting outplayed and beaten by teams such as Sunderland, Fulham etc.

Can anyone help?

I agree with eveyrthing the preston said, Another option you could try is ether playing two strikers upfront or using crouch instead. Your formation is a bit confusing i would stick to traditional 442, 451 or 433 (two attacking wingers with one main striker)
You can set the positions of the players to either defensive support or attacking. I woulsnt set both full backs to attack (well i dont like doing that as can lead to space for the oponents to attack) Maybe support
Modric play was playmaker. USe the tactic creation and follow prestons advice and above and you should start winning games good luck. I have a tactic worked great for me but you might need to tweak let me know if you want it.

One thing u should do is start with simple formations if ur rusty on the game rather than going for assymetric formations, once u have properly understood the match engine then u should for such formations

Best tactic for me is 4-4-2 diamond or 4-2-3-1.

Bought Thiago Neves 10 M, Kadlec 5 M

Gomes
Corluka - King - Gallas - Assou
Huddlestone
Neves - VDV - Modric
Defoe - Crouch / Pav

Fullbacks auto
Defenders defend
Huddlestone defend
Neves cut inside - VDV attacking mid attack - Modric cut inside

Playing Balanced - Attacking - Press More - Low defense line - Shorter Passing - Lower tempo - Wide play

In the first season with Spurs i played mostly 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2.

Fluid - Control or Attacking depending on opposition with Shorter passing and Closing down more. I brought Mexes for 6m for center half partner with King.

Center halves as stoppers.
2 center mids - 1 as box-to-box (Palacios) 1 as ball winning defend (Huddz)
AMR - Lennon - Winger
AMC - Vaart - Adv Playmaker
AML - Modric - Winger
ST - Defoe - Poacher

Playmaker as Vaart
Target Man - Defoe as Run onto ball.

Also match preparation helps. Team blend for pre-season. Attacking movement for the lesser sides. Defensive positioning for the harder teams. Defending set peices is handy for teams like Stoke, Bolton, Blackburn and Wolves.

You have options to change like Assou-Ekotto at left back and Bale left wing because i found Modric was a superb super sub. If you play Crouch then target man to head. Pavlyuchenko/Keane target man to feet. Sandro i played as box-to-box or ball winning defend.

Hope this helps buddy. UP THE YIDZ!

Last edited: