TakedaLegout

Reaction score
I am not an expert on European football but I've played FM forever, since the first iteration. My biggest question that I never seem to know how to figure out is "how big is your senior squad supposed to be?". Right now I have 25 players on that page with about 8 available for my reserves team.

When I look at other teams in my league, their squads are much smaller which makes me feel guilty for having all of these guys sitting around. Honestly, my favorite part of the game is signing players and seeing if they will develop or not but if you don't play them, they go backwards so badly it was a waste of money....still...I can't stop myself.

I always have 2 goalies (max 3), 4 central defenders, 2 left backs, 2 right backs, 4-5 midfielders (DM, CM, AM), 4 wingers and 3-4 strikers (depending on a tactic I use). That's around 22-25 players in my senior squad. I think you are okay, just rotate them well during season and you won't have any problems. Hope this helps!

I always tend to have a very large squad but most of them are young, I think a team with around 3 Key players, 6-9 First Team players and then 5 rotation or so along with some younger backups/hot prospects.

This definitely helps. I have so many young players on my team that it clouds the picture a bit. A guess a follow-up question would be, if you have a young player, say 20-22, who is getting occasional reps but their star potential keeps dropping, does that mean you aren't giving them enough playing time or are they simply not panning out like everyone first thought they would?

I try to have a good starting 11, that can win me any match. After that I try to have 11 rotation options that can cover any injury crisis or suspended players. So in total I try to have 22 players, most of which are able to play in more of one position. Often in January until March there are the big injury crises and that is when you will need your rotation and back up players. Meanwhile during the season if you play in 2 league, 1 or 2 cups and Europe you will need almost all of these players because of tiredness.

A friend of mine with whom we play online has a very good Milan squad which players can play almost every match, but he still manages to give every player of his 25 man squad a play time, so no one is upset and everyone gets used.

I have 18 senior players (Starting 11 and 7 subs), this way they all involved in the first team matches. I then have 5 - 7 youth players who make up the rest of the first team squad who get played every now and then... This works for me as the youth players don't mind not playing and the senior players are happy as they are almost always part of every game.

I dont have too many normally, less than 20, I try to focus more on the youth team, even with crappy fascilities and stuff i try to buy a few decent ones, so that they keep playing on the youth league, and whenever I dont have a sub for first team, that gives chance to put a player from the youth team, sometimes they even surprise me and start developing quite fast, and even stay at first team when the first team player is good again

i tend to have 23 players in my first team, basically a first team, then 11 players who can replace the first 11 without having the change the formation, and then another goalie, so basically 3 goalies and 2 players for every other position (though of course some players will be able to play multiple positions) and i also keep my youth squad filled up with talent, even if it means buying it in, so if i suffer from injuries or suspensions, i just use some of the youth squad.

Although my youth coaches are pretty good, my training facilities and such are complete garbage and my board will not improve them. So, everything I develop has to pretty much stay on the senior or reserve squad.

Basically, from reading everyone's responses, my squad is probably too big, but only by 1-3 players. I can live with that.

Honestly, my favorite part of the game is signing players too, but at the same time, I like of have a small team. Usually I have 17/18 players, in max I have 20. But it depends of the tactic. Usually play on 5-3-2 or 4-3-3 without wingers, so I haven't to sign wingers. After that I have a strong U-18 team.

I stick to 11 main players, 11 as back up (1 for each position) and then a few youths/hot prospects. With this I tend to work on a roation policy to keep everyone happy and give them all game time :)

in my first team page (i used 4-2-2-2) :
2 GKs
4 CBs
4 FBs
4 CMs
3 Wingers
4 Strikers

and 3 player from reserves to gain first team exprience.
its no problem how much you have first team player.just remember if you play in many competition,very usefull to have big 1st team squad..ROTATION is the key.do not let your star got injury for couples of month :p

Yeah I love it too and can be addictive esp if you have tons of dough. However to stop having the issue of players declining then you have to do what everyone has said. I tend to have two players for each position or if I have a multi function player I don't double that pos up.

But I add two-three youth players after the second- third season to get first team action. I like to buy quality youth from other clubs. Change your addiction to that, loan them out or play them, dont let them rot in reserves.

At the end of every season I look at the depth and CA/PA and see who is not cutting it and replace those only or promote youth again.

2 goalkeepers , 4 cb, 2 lb 2 rb 2 players who can play dmc/mc defensive minded, 2 players who are centere midfielders and attacking midfielder 2 players who can play both wings 1 right winger 1 left winger 2 strikers and 1 striker who can play striker and amc

thats round 20 players or so in this wayy im keeping the squad small and more players will get their chance to play but also i like the players to have several otherr positions not just 1 position i th9nk its called vertisity (SPL)

As I play 4231 I usally have 2 Keepers 3-4 CB, 1 LB 1 RB and a player who can play both. 3 CM who I can rotate on, 2 AMC, 3-4 Wingers and 2 top Strikers. That adds up to around 18-20 players. That leaves space so I can play my top Youth too.