Reaction score
I'm hoping that someone can help me with a problem i'm having with Rooney.

Bit of background - i'm managing moneybags Man City, having played several games plying my trade in the lower leagues. I'm in January, season 2013/14 and i've built a very strong squad, as you'd expect with that much cash. I'm top of the league and doing well in the cups, but i've struggled slightly for goals. I signed Rooney in the summer, but he's only scored 3 goals in 22 games. Even allowing for a settling in period, that's a really poor return. His morale has been consistently high, but he misses 90% of the chances he gets, particularly the 1 on 1's

I've tried him in a number of roles without success, so i'm wondering if anyone else has had him and been able to get the best out of him?

My team is set up as follows, with a list of my fist choice picks and reserves on brackets:

Philosophy: Balanced
Mentality: Usually Control, but attacking at home against weak sides and counter away against strong sides - I tweak the roles for more cautious tactics, the wing back becomes a full back for example

Normal GK: Joe Hart (Silviu Lung Jr)
Wing Back Right, Attack: Darijo Srna (Stephan Lichtensteiner)
Full Back Left, Support: Patrice Evra (Diego Renan)
Centre Back, Def: Curtis Davies (Onohua, Stephen Taylor)
Ball Playing Centre Back, Def: Simon Kjaer (Rodwell)
Anchor Man, Def: Mascherano (Crisetig)
Centre Midfield, Attack: Joao Moutinho (Rodwell)
AML, Winger, Attack: Jose Ignacio, Wonderkid Regen
MR, Wide Midfielder, Support: I have several options, all of whom fit the role
AMC, Trequartista: Tevez

I then have the ST role to fill.

All of which leaves Rooney. I've tried playing him as a deep lying striker and complete forward (support). He links the play well and i get a lot of possession, but not a huge amount of clear cut chances and few goals for himself. I've tried playing him as and advanced forward, complete forward (attack), even a poacher but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference.

I've tried using the AML role as an inside forward (Buonanotte) and pushing Evra on to Wing Back but that doesn't do an awful lot. I've even tried tweaking Tevez's role - he seems to perform whatever I ask him to do, but I can't seem to get the best from Rooney.

Anyone got any ideas??

Try using Complete forward without a CAM...
That worked for me on my old untied save. :)
Also try setting him to Target man in the team options. With to feet or run onto depending if your against quick cb's. Also what's his assist's like?

I used him as Adv attacker in chelsea... BUT...when i bourght Tevez.. I had some problems.. because rooney dosent like tevez, so they didnt work for me together.. so skippede tevez to another club.. and rooney scores ALOT again ..

use him as a target man with ball to feet! but partner him as well. does better when paired than a lone striker IMO!

dont change his role every game, give him time ti adapt to his role and eventually he will come good.