The Story Of The Blues - A Cumbrian Crusade

CARLISLE SUFFER MORE INJURY PROBLEMS

View attachment 216384

Carlisle have today revealed that they have had another player added to their ever growing injury list. Striker Steven Rigg, who has scored 3 goals in the last 2 games for the Cumbrians, suffered a bruised rib during the game against Plymouth and will miss the upcoming clash with AFC Wimbledon but is likely to be back for the following game away to Hartlepool.

Rigg joins Harry Cornick, Troy Archibald-Henville, Jason Kennedy and Craig Sives on the sidelines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View attachment 973026

CARLISLE MAKE IT 3 IN A ROW

View attachment 216382

View attachment 216381

Carlisle secured their third win on the bounce as they overcame a game AFC Wimbledon at Brunton Park

Carlisle almost took the lead 5 minutes before the interval as Bastien Hery met a Josh Webb cross at the near post, but he didn't get a full connection on it and the ball trickled against the foot of the post before being pounced on by Tranmere 'keeper James Shea. The hosts did break the deadlock in the 51st minute however, as Joe Thompson fired in at the back post after a cross from Gary Dicker. Wimbledon should have been on level terms not long after the hour mark, but Lyle Taylor fired wide after running 1 on 1 with Mark Gillespie.

Kevin Osei had a chance to double Carlisle's advantage in the 70th minute after a free kick from Gillespie made it all the way over the Wimbledon back line, but Shea saved after Osei attempted to catch him off guard with an effort from just outside the area. It didn't matter though, as Carlisle walked away with a 1-0 win.

View attachment 216380

View attachment 216379

View attachment 216378

JP: "Congratulations once again, it seems you've gotten used to winning now!

CL: "Haha, yeah, it's a great feeling to know that you're doing well. We seem to be going from strength to strength and that's really pleasing to see."

JP: "It was a tough game out there, wasn't it?"

CL: "Absolutely, Wimbledon are a tough side to play against, they're physical, they're hard working, but so are we, and i think that showed out there in the end, it was a scrappy game at times but i think we deserved the win in the end"

JP: "Not only is this your third win in a row, but it's your third clean sheet in a row, surely that's pleasing for you?"

CL: "Totally, yea, the defense has been doing a top, top job and Mark's came up in the clutch a number of times for us. If you're not conceding you're not going to lose, so that was always going to be a priority of mine after last season, Netan and Joshua have slotted in and made a big difference i feel."

Just a quick question guys, would you prefer the format to remain as it is, or would you like me to revert to monthly updates? (Same style as it is now, but with more matches and news packed into each post)

28 Aug 2015

CARLISLE BRING IN NEW STAFF MEMBERS AS OVERHAUL CONTINUES

View attachment 216000
Michael Whittley (Center) was an academy coach at Nottingham Forest

Carlisle United have announced the arrival of five new faces that have joined the ranks in the backroom at Brunton Park.

Michael Whittley and George Rooney have joined the scouting team, Josh Camm has been appointed Director of Football, Sean Philpotts is the new U18s Assistant Manager, while Damien Davey has joined Neil Dalton's medical team. There was also another boost for the club as chief scout Lee Dykes snubbed Scottish Championship side Hibernian to stay with the Cumbrians.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
29 Aug 2015
View attachment 973916

HARTLEPOOL AND CARLISLE SHARE SPOILS

View attachment 215983
Trevor Carson

Both Hartlepool and Carlisle went home with a point as they battled out an entertaining goalless draw

View attachment 215982

Carlisle should have taken the lead on the half hour mark when Josh Webb whipped in a superb cross which was met 6 yards out by an unmarked Steven Rigg, but Trevor Carson flung himself in front of the shot to pull off an incredible save. Webb was again dangerous with his delivery moments later, as he found Jabo Ibehre at the near post, but Ibehre's shot was well blocked by Michael Duckworth. Substitute Charlie Wyke had a chance to score against his old side after he got onto a lovely lofted ball over the top by Bastien Hery, but Carson tipped Wyke's first time volley onto the post.

The visitors were reduced to 10 men in the 78th minute, as Bastien Hery received a second yellow card for a trip on Brad Walker in the centre circle. Hartlepool almost made their man advantage count as Ryan Brobbel latched onto a through ball from Duckworth inside the Carlisle penalty area, but Gillespie was on hand to block at the near post. Carlisle could have nicked it in injury time, but Joyce headed right into Carson's hands from 12 yards after he met Wyke's cross.

View attachment 215979

View attachment 215980

View attachment 215981

JP: "Do you feel that's a point gained or two points dropped today, Craig?

CL: "Tough question. I think we played well, we restricted Hartlepool well enough and we created enough chances to score, but unfortunately for us their goalkeeeper was on superb form, i think he was probably the difference maker today"

JP: "You took the surprising action of bringing in David Atkinson in place of Danny Grainger today despite the consistency of the defence recently, why did you decide to do that?"

CL: "It worked, didn't it? *laughs* I think it just proves that we have plenty of defenders capable of doing the business at the back for us. Danny looked like he needed a bit of a rest and David was chomping at the bit to get in. David did well in the middle of defence and i think Netan coped well with the move to left back as well."

JP: "Any more transfer news for us?"

CL: "We're working on it, i'm in conversation with Josh (Camm) about potential targets, as we missed out on the player that we were going for the last time i told you about this. Hopefully something will be finalised in the next few days."

Whatever suits you best Craig, the current format is great :)

1 Sept 2015

MCFADZEAN SIGNS ON DEADLINE DAY

View attachment 215507

Carlisle have today confirmed the signing of winger Callum McFadzean on a season long loan from Sheffield United. The 21 year old, who has been capped at U21 level for Scotland, spent time on loan at both Burton and Chesterfield in recent seasons.

"He brings some youthful exuberance to the team, and he really adds to the determined nature of the squad as a whole. He's the type of player who we have been looking to bring in for a while and i'm sure he'll make a big impact here"

McFadzean is unlikely to be ready to face Accrington Stanley in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy tonight, but could feature in the upcoming league game against Barnet.

"He hasn't had much football recently, so he needs a bit of time to get to grips with it again before he gets back onto the pitch"

There has been a boost for Carlisle though, as Harry Cornick has returned to full training after his injury in the opening game of the season.

View attachment 215489
-------------------------------------------------------------

View attachment 975125

CARLISLE EXIT JPT AFTER COLLAPSE.

View attachment 215488

View attachment 215487

Carlisle have been knocked out of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy in the first round, largely thanks to a hat trick from Accrington striker Terry Gornell.

Carlisle took the lead not long before half time, as they worked the ball from right to left before Gary Dicker teed up Patrick Brough, who hit a first time right footed shot which hit the foot of the far post and went in to score his first goal for the club. Accrington were back on level terms almost instantaneously however, as Daniel Trickett-Smith threaded a ball through to Terry Gornell, who lashed home to level the scoring. The visitors had another decent opportunity moments later, but Cameron Brannagan fired wide from the left hand side of the area after being set up by Gornell.

Accrington did take the lead moments after the break however, when Gornell fired in after being played through by Trickett-Smith. Carlisle appeared to be falling to pieces, as Gornell again got behind the pairing of Meppen-Walter and Sansara to drill the ball in and net a hat trick. Brannagan had the ball in the net yet again moments later but he was denied by the linesman's flag.

Luke Joyce should have netted against his former side with 15 minutes to go, but Jack Little flung himself to the floor to somehow block the effort from mere yards out.

View attachment 215486

JP: "A tough result to take, Craig, you must be disappointed to go out like that."

CL: "Yeah, of course i'm disappointed. We didn't play with the right mentality out there, we started off well, scored a great passing goal but then we didn't carry on from there, we let Accrington come into the game and that's ultimately cost us."

JP: "Is there anything in particular that stood out to you that went wrong today?"

CL: "I can't really pinpoint any one thing, obviously Gornell was fantastic against us today and he took his chances when they came along but we let him get in behind our backline far too many times for our own good, and going forward we didn't create enough, we were sloppy with our passing and you're always going to struggle when you don't have the ball."

JP: "A record low for the club today too, with a mere 1,272 turning up for the game today, how do you feel about that?"

CL: "It's not something that i'm particularly happy to see, obviously, but i don't think we can feel responsible for that, we were on good form before today. Fans have the right to decide what games they want to come to, and while we encourage as many to turn up whenever possible, they have the right to choose."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5 Sept 2015

View attachment 974897
CARLISLE TEMPORARILY TOP AFTER EIGHT GOAL THRILLER

View attachment 215490

View attachment 215485

Carlisle moved to the top of the League 2 table on a temporary basis after a thrilling victory over Barnet.

Carlisle got off to a good start and were awarded a spot kick when Patrick Brough was shoved by ex Cumbrians loanee Valentin Gjokaj in the area following Callum McFadzean's free kick. The Carlisle debutant stepped up and sent Graham Stack the wrong way to give the hosts the lead. McFadzean would be involved again mere moments later, getting on the end of Harry Cornick's cross at the back post and volleying home to make it 2-0. Lucock's side were really taking the game to Barnet, and bagged a third as Kevin Osei tapped into an empty net after McFadzean had headed a Cornick cross onto the bar.

Things got even worse for The Bees when a McFadzean cross had Stack flatfooted, leaving the 21 year old celebrating a hat trick on his debut for Carlisle. Barnet were able to nab a goal back in the 36th minute, as Mauro Vilhete stabbed home a low cross from Andy Yiadom after a great passing move. The pair combined again moments later, when Yiadom crossed, allowing Vilhete to get ahead of Sansara to nod in for his second of the game. Carlisle could have had another goal at the end of the half when McFadzean seized on a poor clearance from Bondz N'Gala, but Stack was able to save at the near post.

Martin Allen's side were able to reduce the deficit to just one after the hour mark, when Vilhete nodded down a lofted ball from Sam Togwell before beating Mark Gillespie at his near post to bag his hat trick. United were awarded their second penalty of the day moments later in similar circumstances to the first, as N'Gala bundled over Osei in the area, again from a deep McFadzean free kick. Cornick this time took responsibility and fired into the roof of the net to make it 5-3.

Carlisle nearly made it 9 goals in the game when substitute David Atkinson got onto Bastien Hery's corner at the near post, but his effort just went wide. McFadzean almost got his 4th of the day with 10 minutes to go, but his effort was blocked by N'Gala following Josh Webb's cross.

View attachment 215486

View attachment 215575

View attachment 215482

JP: "A crazy game out their today Craig, with barely any time for the spectators to catch their breath, what are your immediate thoughts?"

CL: "I'm not really sure what to feel to be honest! Obviously i'm delighted with the result and the overall performance, i'm a little disappointed with the way we defended at certain points today but going forward we more than made up for it, our set pieces today were a particular highlight and caused no end of problems for Barnet"

JP: "A hat trick for Callum McFadzean on his debut for the club, you must be delighted with his acquisition?"

CL: "Definitely. He was incredible today, not only did he bag the hat trick but he had a big role to play in the other goals, delivering a free kick leading up to the penalties and narrowly missing just before Kevin's goal. I always believed he could make an impact like that and i hope he can carry on at that level."

View attachment 215480

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6 Sept 2015

CARLISLE ADD EX PREMIER LEAGUE MIDFIELDER TO COACHING TEAM

View attachment 215478

Carlisle manager Craig Lucock has today announced that the club has brought in ex QPR and Crystal Palace midfielder Shaun Derry to join the coaching setup at Brunton Park. Derry managed his boyhood club Notts County from 2013 before being sacked in March after a poor run of form.

"Shaun brings a great level of experience to the club, he's only recently stopped playing so he knows how the modern game works and he has experience in management in the Football League so we feel that he will be a great addition to the setup here"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9 Sept 2015

View attachment 215477

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12 Sept 2015

View attachment 974897
CARLISLE GO 6 UNBEATEN AFTER WIN OVER LEAGUE LEADERS

View attachment 215578
Steven Rigg, who scored the only goal of the game today

View attachment 215577

Carlisle United moved up to 2nd in the league after a solid win over Dagenham and Redbridge.

Carlisle came close to opening the scoring after 15 minutes when Bastien Hery hit the post from next to the penalty spot. They had another chance 10 minutes later but Mark Cousins got down low to deny Kevin Osei after Callum McFadzean's cross. They made no mistake moments later though, as Steven Rigg headed in a superb cross from Josh Webb to score his 4th goal of the season. Dagenham, who led the league going into this game, weren't about to lay down, and nearly got an equaliser 10 minutes into the second half, as Mark Gillespie was forced into a flying save to deny a Jorge Gomez effort from the edge of the area.

Osei could have doubled the hosts' lead with 20 minutes to go after getting onto a deep cross by Patrick Brough, but he hit his effort straight at Cousins. Carlisle's situation was looking precarious moments later, when Luke Joyce was given a second yellow card for a foul on Andre Boucaud on the halfway line.

View attachment 215576

View attachment 215575

View attachment 215574

JP: "Yet another positive result for you today. Did you think your Carlisle career would start off this well?"

CL: "Honestly, no i didn't. The lads have been fantastic for me since i came in, they've worked their socks off every game, there's been times where it hasn't quite came off for us but to be 6 games unbeaten is a remarkable achievement for this football club."

----------------------------------------------------
17 Sep 2015

CARLISLE TURN DOWN DICKER APPROACH

View attachment 215561

Carlisle United have turned down an offer from Conference side Eastleigh for Gary Dicker. Eastleigh wanted to take the ex Brighton and Crawley man on a month's loan but their offer has been rejected.

"Gary has featured heavily for us this season and has been consistent throughout the opening few games, there's no way we're going to send him out on loan anywhere at this point"

-------------------------------------------------------------
19 Sept 2015
View attachment 974897
CARLISLE MOVE TOP AFTER NARROW YORK WIN

View attachment 215550
Kevin Osei

View attachment 215549

Carlisle have moved to the top of League Two after a hard fought victory over a resilient York side

Craig Lucock's side took the lead in the 11th minute after a superb passing move made its way to the edge of the box before Kevin Osei set up Harry Cornick, who placed his shot into the bottom left corner to make it 1-0. Callum McFadzean doubled the Cumbrians' lead after half an hour, capitalising on a scramble inside the area.

Carlisle came forward again mere moments later, and Steven Rigg received a pass from Cornick before sliding it in to an unmarked Osei, who swivelled and fired home from well inside the 6 yard box. York almost got a goal back minutes after half time, but Luke Summerfield hit the post after chesting down a Josh Carson free kick. They did find the back of the net moments later, as Harry Panayiotou found space in between the two Carlisle centre backs before swivelling and finding the bottom right corner.

York goalkeeper Scott Flinders was on hand to deny Carlisle in the 64th minute, denying Charlie Wyke before twice blocking shots from Osei. York appeared to have bagged a second in the 76th minute, but Panayiotou was flagged offside after heading in. There was no offside flag to save Carlisle a couple of minutes later however, as Aman Verma scrambled in a Carson cross. York came inches away from equalising 5 minutes from time when Russ Penn saw an ambitious 30 yard effort rattle the crossbar.

View attachment 215548

View attachment 215547

View attachment 215546

JP: "A hard fought win out there, Craig, did the nerves start to creep in at the end there?"

CL: "Absolutely, we were in a really commanding position and we didn't really do a great job of holding onto that, but we've came away with a win and that's what matters in the end."

---------------------------------
25 Sept 2015
ATKINSON SIDELINED FOR A NUMBER OF WEEKS

View attachment 215531

Carlisle defender David Atkinson has suffered a back strain during a training session and is likely to miss 5-6 weeks of football. The ex Middlesbrough man has made 6 appearances in the league this season, with 5 coming off the bench.

"It's a blow for us, David has a lot of potential and has done well for us whenever he's been called upon."

Danny Grainger and Scott Griffiths have also been making noises about wanting more first team football.

"I can understand the concerns from them, but the two left sided players that are starting right now in Patrick and Callum are doing a sterling job, i'm not a person who tinkers for no reason, and i see no reason to be chopping and changing the side right now."

-----------------------------------------------------------
26 Sept 2015

View attachment 974897

CARLISLE'S RUN CONTINUES WITH COMFORTABLE WIN OVER NEWPORT COUNTY

View attachment 215507

View attachment 215509

Carlisle have made it eight league games unbeaten after another great performance from Callum McFadzean helped them to a 3-1 win over Newport County.

Carlisle were inches away from taking an early lead when Callum McFadzean got onto Harry Cornick's cross from the right hand side at the far post, but McFadzean's effort was from a narrow angle and he could only strike the post. McFadzean struck the woodwork again 10 minutes later, rattling the crossbar from just over 20 yards out, the shot bounced back out into the bath of Steven Rigg, who tapped home to give Carlisle a 1-0 lead. Newport were level not long after half time, as Lenell John-Lewis got onto a cross from substitute Scott Barrow to equalise for the visitors.

The scores weren't level for long however, as mere moments later, a sliding tackle from Barrow on Rigg knocked the ball perfectly into the path of McFadzean, who poked the ball into the bottom right corner to restore Carlisle's lead. The league leaders were gifted a goal in the 72nd minute when Joe Day parried a long range Kevin Osei free kick into the path of Harry Cornick, who easily finished to make it 3-1.

View attachment 215506

View attachment 215505

JP: "You must be getting used to this by now Craig, tell us your thoughts on that"

CL: "Yea, once again, the team were absolutely great today, defensively we were solid, we created plenty of opportunities and we made sure Newport couldn't get a real foothold in the game. Their goal came from nothing and that really says a lot about how well we played today"

JP: "Courtney (Meppen-Walter) came off after just half an hour today, was there a reason for that?"

CL: "Yeah, unfortunately Courtney has a shoulder injury, it's a bit of a blow for us with how well he's done for us in there but it looks like he'll be out for around a month unfortunately."

JP: "How do you think that will impact the defense, especially with the injury to David Atkinson in midweek?"

CL: "Well obviously a settled backline helps at this level so it will hurt a little bit, but Troy has recently came back into the fold and we have plenty of players who can do a good job in those roles so i think we'll be able to cope well enough"

View attachment 215504
--------------------------------------
29 Sept 2015

View attachment 974897

ORIENT AND CARLISLE PLAY OUT GOALLESS DRAW

View attachment 215496

Carlisle nearly opened the scoring in the 11th minute as Callum McFadzean beat the challenges of first Sean Clohessy then Connor Essam to break into the area, but Valerio Pirovano was on hand to block the shot. The visitors came close again not long before the break, as Steven Rigg rattled the bar from just inside the area after being set up by Gary Dicker.

View attachment 215495

View attachment 215494

View attachment 215493

JP: "Are you a little disappointed to only come away from a game like this with a point?"

CL: "A little bit, but i'm still pleased with the way we played, we made it hard for Orient to break us down and we limited their chances. On another day we might have nicked it but that's just the way it goes, it's a tough place to play and a long way to come, so we can't be too upset. We're still top and we haven't lost, so i won't lose too much sleep over it."

-------------------------------------
1st Oct 2015

MCFADZEAN WINS MONTHLY ACCOLADE

View attachment 215490

Carlisle United winger Callum McFadzean has won the League 2 Player of the Month award for September. McFadzean, on loan from Sheffield United, has scored 5 goals in as many games, including a hat trick against Barnet in his first game for the club. Another Carlisle loanee in Harry Cornick came in third place for the award. Cornick also came 2nd in the Young Player of the Month award, while Cumbrians boss Craig Lucock narrowly lost out on the managerial award to Oxford boss Michael Appleton.

Last edited:
Looking good in the league mate, fantastic run! Derry is a great addition to the backroom as well, always liked him as a player. Must take forever to add all those screenies, looking good though KIU!

Looking good in the league mate, fantastic run! Derry is a great addition to the backroom as well, always liked him as a player. Must take forever to add all those screenies, looking good though KIU!

Much appreciated mate! Yeah, Derry was a good player in his time and made a difference at Notts County when he first took over there.

It does take a while to add all the pictures but it's worth it in the end i reckon!

Apologies for the lack of activity recently, i'll be posting again soon! :)

doing well, nice to see a carlisle story with being a carlisle fan,just got my copy of fm today so ready to get stuck in. keep it up