Think I've found the key to not conceding

It's still not been approved by a mod, but has anyone found it useful just from pics? Currently 3rd in prem with NUFC, won last years Europa with some very odd opponents (Trabzonspor in the final) but it's going really nicely so far.

Sweepers and wingbacks are the way forward. I'm currently playing as Stoke using wimpy wingers that don't get stuck in. Anyone who plays on the wing should be both good on the ball and strong in the tackle. A speedy sweeper is also a must as he can cover for any quick counter attacks where your wingbacks have not quite made it back. Interesting using an anchorman in an empty midfield though, who carries the ball forward when attacking?

Edit: Talking of not conceding.. I just beat Man Utd 2-0, drew 0-0 at Anfield and then beat Chelsea 2-1 at Stamford Bridge, playing a 4-2-2-1-1 Contain tactic each time. I was absolutely rinsed in terms of possession, but my Stoke side sat back and made their own chances count while soaking the energy of the opposition. My next game is against Arsenal, and if I get another good result I think I'll be uploading this tactic: looks like I might have struck gold!

Last edited:
I was leaking goals with Lincoln City after making a great start kept letting in 3/4 goals per game regurlarly so I loaned in two better CB's and changed to a narrow width, slightly high line, balanced, standard formation 4-5-1 with a defensive mid, two cm's, a wide left mid and a rw playing in an advanced position and a poacher up top. Since changing I've let in 4 goals in 12 games and created chances on the break through the rw and poacher - a good simple tactic for non-league/lower league to stop conceding.

(Would have posted a screenshot but at work!)

Want to give this tactic a try. Any of the mods give an indication when tactic will be approved?

True. I also find using wingbacks in particular is a very effective move in this year FM. Not only attacking-wise but the defending is not that bad.

Well I do concede some goals, but most are from goallie mistakes that are just plain stupid.

And is it me or the closing down is being reworked a little? I feel like even on half-bar of closing down, the player will chase down the player with the ball to half way line. Well it definitely match the description given in the game, but it wasn't that aggressive in previous FM. My striker with full closing down now runs even almost to my own backline to chase the ball.

True. I also find using wingbacks in particular is a very effective move in this year FM. Not only attacking-wise but the defending is not that bad.

Well I do concede some goals, but most are from goallie mistakes that are just plain stupid.

And is it me or the closing down is being reworked a little? I feel like even on half-bar of closing down, the player will chase down the player with the ball to half way line. Well it definitely match the description given in the game, but it wasn't that aggressive in previous FM. My striker with full closing down now runs even almost to my own backline to chase the ball.
Think closing down is bugged at the moment. Only a day left, so we'll see.

Mod decided I wasn't one of his favourites so he denied it. So I give in.

Pack It In Either End.tac direct download link.
If they won't let me upload it because I don't lick a mods ****, feel free to download it from there. It'll be my last contribution

Giving this a try for 8-10 games, will let you know how it goes.

I used 3-5-2 in FM12 with Bath City in my second season in the Premier League, after a little save with Napoli I fell in love with the tactic, Sweepers and Wing Backs are my favourite positions in FM. But finding them was a pain in the ***, I used a regen called Bonner (teehee) every season luckily he was blessed with amazing natural fitness and played 40-50 games a season and with 7.10+ avg rating per season for 6 seasons, his stats were poor and I bought him for 200k but he reveled in that position, I also found wing backs hard to find having used the same LWB since he was 19 and still used him when he was 36. I haven't used 3-5-2 this year and was wondering whats the market like in FM13 for Sweepers and Wing Backs? Do you need to buy a LB or CB and re-train them like I did last year?

You can find wing backs fairly easy or most full backs with suitable stats are usually slightly familiar with playing there too. Sweeper would be the only real issue, there are certainly players out there that already play in that role but a lot of regen CBs will just be CBs so will require re-training.

ivan vukovic turns out to be a wonderkid wbl. and adriano shud b avaliable on a free frm barca 2nd season i think

View attachment 280797

Here's how I got on, clean sheets in the last 2 games but other than that the defence was a bit leaky! 5 wins, 5 losses. I think this could be developed as a tactic, particularly using a sweeper and wing backs.

Musacchio isn't a Sweeper, in fact I can't find any world class players that can play the sweeper position. Its like AMR/Ls not tracking back now. It wouldn't be so bad if the players in the game worked with the tactics.

Going to end up smashing my screen. I have tried everything, my own tactics otehr peoples tactics defensive tactics but still end up conceding goals all over the place its pathetic !!!!