Tranmere Rovers - Who needs a lemon when we've got Mellon!

wrexhamhome.png

Tranmere eased into the FA Trophy final, beating Wrexham 3-0 at Prenton Park to secure a 5-1 aggregate win.

Match Highlights

[video=youtube;F8ZAiPI1xGw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8ZAiPI1xGw[/video]

Final Score: Tranmere 3(5)-0(1) Wrexham.

Starting Lineups

Tranmere: Turner, Buxton, Fitzwater, Honeyball, Vyner, Shaw (Ridehalgh 87), Jennings (Tombides 75), Wallace, Tollitt (Mangan 54), Cook, Norwood.
Subs Not Used: Davies, Coker.

Booked: Jennings.

Goals: Honeyball (36), Mangan (68), Norwood (83).

Wrexham: Dunn, Carrington, Wynter, Bainbridge, Evans, Wintle (Bailey-Nicholls 54), ***, Gillett (Bencherif 51), Clarke, Rooney (Newton 65), Harvey.
Subs Not Used: Wolland, Riley.

Booked: ***, Harvey, Evans.

Match Statistics

Referee: K Evans.
Shots: Tranmere 27-3 Wrexham
On Target: Tranmere 10-1 Wrexham
Possession: Tranmere 63%-37% Wrexham
Corners: Tranmere 9-4 Wrexham
Fouls: Tranmere 13-15 Wrexham
Attendance: 10,913 (2,242 away).

northferribyaway.png

Andy Cook scored twice for Tranmere, as they moved to within three points of the National League title, winning 2-0 away at North Ferriby.

[video=youtube;jIhIqksTwCw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIhIqksTwCw[/video]

Lineups.jpg

North Ferriby: Watson, Hare (Fallowfield 55), Gray, Slade, Lehy, Gordon (Brogan 75), Oliver, O'Hanlon, B Shaw (Robinson 60), Thompson, Lewis.
Subs Not Used: Douglas, Bateson.

Tranmere: Davies, Buxton (Coker 90), Fitzwater, Vyner, Honeyball, F Shaw, Wallace (Tombides 69), Collins, Tollitt, Norwood, Cook.
Subs Not Used: Turner, Mangan, Ridehalgh.

Match_Stats_Bar_2.jpg

Referee: S Bennett
Stadium: Grange Lane
Attendance: 760 (413 away)
Possession: North Ferriby 42% - 58% Tranmere
Shots: North Ferriby 10 - 12 Tranmere
On Target: North Ferriby 3 - 5 Tranmere
Fouls: North Ferriby 4 - 12 Tranmere

nerves.png

Tranmere manager Micky Mellon has called for his players to do the club proud and win the National League title, whilst denying claims that his players are nervous.

"We know the situation and what we need to do," said Mellon in an interview with Radio City.

"The lads are all buzzing and raring to go against Braintree and we know what's at stake. Three points will win us the National League title, along with promotion back to the football league and we want it more than anything. With that said, we know that the job is not done. We know that we need to put in a performance to pick up the three points. That is what we have done all season long and we simply just need to continue that."

"We want to do it for the fans. The fans of this club are some of the best fans in the world and we want to do them proud. They deserve success and we are in the situation where we can give it to them. They will fill Prenton Park and back us and we need to deliver for them. The players know what the need to do and none of them are nervous. They're probably the opposite, they can't wait."

braintree.png

Tranmere won the National League title and promotion back to the football league with a 1-0 a home against Braintree, Andy Cook's goal giving them the 3 points they needed.

[video=youtube;fRK9LjXLlvs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRK9LjXLlvs[/video]

Lineups.jpg

Tranmere: Davies, Vaughan (McNulty 61), Fitzwater, Vyner, Coker, Shaw, Harris, Tombides, Tollitt (Mekki 78), Norwood (Mangan 61), Cook.
Subs Not Used: Turner, Wallace.

Booked: Coker, Harris, Mangan.

Braintree: Beasant, Ashton, Goodman, Stoke, Okimo, Beere, Corne, Lee (Braham-Barrett 72), Dunne (Gayle 77), Midson (Akinola 61), Goodship.
Subs Not Used: Banner, Barnard.

Booked: Corne, Goodman.

Match_Stats_Bar_2.jpg

Referee: C Hicks
Stadium: Prenton Park
Attendance: 5,264 (41 away)
Possession: Tranmere 53% - 47% Braintree
Shots: Tranmere 14 - 2 Braintree
On Target: Tranmere 5 - 1 Braintree
Fouls: Tranmere 18 - 10 Braintree

title2.png

Tranmere boss Micky Mellon was delighted after seeing his Tranmere side win the National League title with a 1-0 win against a very defensive Braintree side at Prenton Park.

Playing away from home against the league leaders, Braintree defended for the lives and kept 11 men behind the ball for the majority of the game. It was clear that the home side were getting frustrated but Tranmere were able to make the breakthrough when Andy Cook fired home a pass from Jay Harris.

"It was a great show of patience by us today," Mellon told BT Sport.

"Braintree came here with a gameplan and set their stall out to defend for the entirety of the game. It was always going to be difficult to break them down with 11 behind the ball. I told the guys at halftime that we just needed to be patient and that our chance would come, and I'm glad we managed to take our chance. I couldn't think of anyone else I would have wanted on the end of that chance and Cookie took it brilliantly."

"I'm absolutely over the moon to deliver the title for the fans. Make no mistake, this title and promotion is for them. I have never come across a more passionate or dedicated set of fans than we have here at Prenton Park so it's great to finally give them something to shout about after a number of years of despair."

title.png

Here we have all the reaction after Tranmere secured the National League title with a 1-0 win at home against Braintree.

"I'm so proud of what we've achieved this season. I said when I came back that my goal was to win the league and I'm delighted that we've managed it. However, the season isn't over and we need to continue to win and take the moment into next season. A big thanks to the fans as well, they've been incredible."
Tranmere manager Micky Mellon

"I'm absolutely made up. We're back! League Two watch out because we're not a team to be underestimated."
Tranmere captain Steve Jennings

"It's a great feeling. It was our aim to win the league at the start of the season so to do so brings me and the lads a great deal of pride. I'm glad I've been able to do my bit and hopefully I keep scoring in the higher leagues."
Tranmere top goalscorer James Norwood

"Tranmere have been a class apart in the National League this season. Micky has them playing some great stuff.
Former Tranmere manager and Radio City pundit John Aldridge

"It's a great day for the football club. We are back in the football league where we belong. I'd like to thank Micky and the players for all their hard work and the fans for their continued fantastic support. The objective now is to remain in the football league."
Tranmere chairman Mark Palios

torquayaway.png

Torquay remain in the National League relegation zone after a James Norwood equaliser recused a point for league champions Tranmere.

[video=youtube;Oz12TR6lp90]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz12TR6lp90[/video]

Lineups.jpg

Torquay: Moore, Duhaney, Gallifuoco, McGinty, Hamalainen (Burgess 78), Deacon, Richards (Young 63), Verma, Sparkes, Williams, Ward (Chaney 73).
Subs Not Used: Jezeph, Lathrope.

Tranmere: Davies, Buxton, Fitzwater, Vyner, Honeyball (Coker 45), Shaw, Wallace, Harris (Tombides 77), Tollitt, Norwood, Cook (Mangan 71).
Subs Not Used: Turner, Ihiekwe.

Booked: Buxton, Harris.

Match_Stats_Bar_2.jpg

Referee: S Ross.
Stadium: Plainmoor
Attendance: 1,437 (212 away)
Possession: Torquay 39% - 61% Tranmere
Shots: Torquay 3 - 20 Tranmere
On Target: Torquay 1 - 7 Tranmere
Fouls: Torquay 8 - 19 Tranmere

award.png

Tranmere boss Micky Mellon has been named as the National League Manager of the Month for the 5th time this season after leading his side to the National League title.

Mellon has been named as the National League Manager of the Month for a fifth time, adding to the awards he won for the months of August, September, October and January. Tranmere played five National League games in March and picked up 13 points out of a possible 15, confirming themselves as National League champions in the process.

Mellon thanked the National League for giving him the award.

"It's an honour to receive this award for a 5th time and I think that it's a testament to how well the players are playing at the moment. The lads have been nothing short of superb so far this season and we will look to continue our good run in the final 6 games."

Tranmere's March National League Record

4th - Chester 1-2 Tranmere - Norwood 43, Cook 48
14th - Tranmere 1-0 Dover - Norwood 27
21st - North Ferriby 0-2 Tranmere - Cook 20, 37
25th - Tranmere 1-0 Braintree - Cook 79
28th - Torquay 1-1 Tranmere - Norwood 87

wrexham.png

Andy Cook scored twice for the visitors, as Tranmere got the better of bitter rivals Wrexham, winning 3-1 at the Racecourse ground.

[video=youtube;EdQBV4U9_o0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdQBV4U9_o0[/video]

Lineups.jpg

Wrexham: Jalal, Gabriel, Wynter, Bainbridge (Carrington 64), Evans, Wintle (Gillett 45), ***, Rooney, Clarke (Marx 64), McDonagh, Harvey.
Subs Not Used: Dunn, Newton.

Booked: Wynter, Bainbridge.

Tranmere: Davies, Buxton, Honeyball, Vyner, Fitzwater, Shaw (Ridehalgh 72), Wallace (Tombides 55), S Jennings, Tollitt, Cook, Norwood (Mangan 72).
Subs Not Used: Turner, Coker.

Match_Stats_Bar_2.jpg

Referee: A Backhouse.
Stadium: The Racecourse Ground
Attendance: 6,470 (1,102 away)
Possession: Wrexham 37% - 63% Tranmere
Shots: Wrexham 12 - 24 Tranmere
On Target: Wrexham 7 - 11 Tranmere
Fouls: Wrexham 9 - 11 Tranmere

solihull.png

Ben Tollitt scored the winner, as Tranmere laboured to a 3-2 win over Solihull Moors at Prenton Park.

[video=youtube;BORw8UXMY04]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BORw8UXMY04[/video]

Lineups.jpg

Tranmere: Davies, Buxton, Ihiekwe, Vyner (Honeyball 64), Coker, Shaw, Tombides, Hughes (Wallace 64), Tollitt, Norwood, Cook (Mangan 64).
Subs Not Used: Turner, Fitzwater.

Booked: Buxton, Ihiekwe, Shaw, Hughes, Wallace.

Solihull Moors: Johansson, Koue, Daly (King-Elliott 72), Goode, Streete, Franklin, Spencer, Byrne (Osbourne 61), Richards, Asante (Knights 78), White.
Subs Not Used: Smith, Beswick.

Booked: Streete, Franklin.

Match_Stats_Bar_2.jpg

Referee: C Harwood
Attendance: 5,142 (106 away)
Possession: Tranmere 61% - 39% Solihull Moors
Shots: Tranmere 14 - 8 Solihull Moors
On Target: Tranmere 4 - 5 Solihull Moors
Fouls: Tranmere 20 - 15 Solihull Moors

Last edited:
aldershit.png

James Norwood equalised late on to cancel out a Max Hazeldine opener, Tranmere drawing 1-1 with Aldershot at Prenton Park.

[video=youtube;b3JW7P548Zg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3JW7P548Zg[/video]

Lineups.jpg

Tranmere: Turner, Buxton, Fitzwater, Honeyball, Vyner, Shaw, Wallace, S Jennings (Tombides 60), Tollitt (Mangan 60), Norwood, Cook.
Subs Not Used: Davies, Coker, McNulty.

Booked: Fitzwater, Vyner, Buxton, Shaw, Wallace, S Jennings.

Off: Buxton (86).

Aldershot: Cole, L Wakefield. Conroy, Goulding (Reynolds 80), Evans (Staker 90), Fenelon, J Wakefield, Bellamy, Mensah, Rendell (Kanu 66), Hazeldine.
Subs Not Used: Smith, Allen.

Booked: Bellamy, L Wakefield, Mensah, Evans.

Match_Stats_Bar_2.jpg

Referee: R Whitton
Attendance: 5,101 (125 away)
Possession: Tranmere 58% - 42% Aldershot
Shots: Tranmere 22 - 10 Aldershot
On Target: Tranmere 9 - 2 Aldershot
Fouls: Tranmere 18 - 20 Aldershot

Last edited:
jennoout.png

Tranmere have been hit with an injury blow following their match against Aldershot, after it was revealed that Steve Jennings faces a month out with a groin strain.

The Tranmere captain picked up the injury in the 60th minute of the 1-1 draw with Aldershot and walked off the pitch holding his groin, being replaced by Taylor Tombides. The injury came about when Jennings pulled up chasing after a ball with Aldershot defender Liam Wakefield. After the match, Tranmere boss Micky Mellon was quoted as 'fearful' and he was right to be after a scan revealed the extent of the midfielder's injury.

Speaking to Tranmere's official website, Mellon said:

"I spoke to Steve after the match and he said he was fine but I was worried and I was right to be. Steve went for a scan today at Arrowe Park and it's been confirmed that he'll be out for about a month with a groin strain. Obviously, it's a big blow for us as Steve is a great player but we have players who can come in and replace him. We should be ok. We may look into recalling Mitchell Duggan as a precaution."

Last edited:
guiseley.png

Tranmere came from a goal down to beat Guiseley at Nethermoor, Ben Tollitt and James Norwood finding the net for the men from Merseyside.

[video=youtube;UXdlAFnj25o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXdlAFnj25o[/video]

Lineups.jpg

Guiseley: D Atkinson, Mills, Cogill, R Atkinson (Walton 45), Williams, Vidal (East 68), Hatfield, Hedley, Lowery, White, Mellors (Preston 62).
Subs Not Used: Thompson, Lawlor.

Booked: Cogill.

Tranmere: Turner, Vaughan, Fitzwater, Honeyball, Vyner (Ihiekwe 90), Shaw, Wallace, Collins, Tollitt, Cook (Stockton 90), Norwood.
Subs Not Used: Davies, Tombides, Coker.

Match_Stats_Bar_2.jpg

Referee: S Burt.
Stadium: Nethermoor.
Attendance: 1,003 (426 away)
Possession: Guiseley 37% - 63% Tranmere
Shots: Guiseley 6 - 21 Tranmere
On Target: Guiseley 4 - 11 Tranmere
Fouls: Guiseley 13- 16 Tranmere

Last edited:
record.png

It has been confirmed that Tranmere have broken a number of National League records during the 2016/17 season.

The first record broken is for the most number of points in a National League season, beating Crawley's 2010/11 record of 105. Tranmere's win against Guiseley took Rovers to the 109 point mark so Rovers have now been confirmed as the official record holders.

Tranmere have also set the record for the most wins in 1 season in the National League. The current record stood at 31 which was set by Aldershot in 2007/08. However, Tranmere now have a total of 34 wins in the National League to hold the new record. The record for most goals in a season has also been broken by the men in white. The previous record was Barnet's 103 in 1990/91, a total Tranmere have gone past.

Speaking on the official Tranmere Rovers Youtube channel, top scorer James Norwood said it was a testament to the hard work the lads have put in this season.

"It's fantastic to see that we've broken a number of records. The gaffer came in during the summer and he's completely revitalised us. Everything is a lot more professional now and we know exactly what to expect from him and ourselves. He works us hard but everyone has taken it into their stride and we are now reaping the rewards. The hard work continues next season in the football league."

Last edited:
southport.png

Ben Tollitt and Andy Cook both scored twice as Tranmere eased to a 5-2 win over Southport at Prenton Park.

[video=youtube;-bpT6fOlYQs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bpT6fOlYQs[/video]

Lineups.jpg

Tranmere: Turner, Buxton, Fitzwater, Honeyball, Vyner (Ihiekwe 58), Shaw, Wallace (Collins 82), Tombides, Tollitt, Norwood (Mangan 58), Cook.
Subs Not Used: Davies, Coker.

Booked: Vyner, Tombides, Shaw.

Southport: Belford, White, Nolan, Sheron (Thompson 63), A Jones, G Jones, Lussey (McDonald 45), Lester, Webb (Grimes 70), Caton, Gray.
Subs Not Used: Crump, Doyle.

Booked: G Jones.

Match_Stats_Bar_2.jpg

Referee: N Hair
Attendance: 7,144 (212 away)
Possession: Tranmere 63% - 37% Southport
Shots: Tranmere 27 - 11 Southport
On Target: Tranmere 14 - 3 Southport
Fouls: Tranmere 15 - 12 Southport

Last edited:
changes.png

Tranmere boss Micky Mellon has confirmed that he will make changes to his side for their last National League game against Maidstone at the Gallagher Stadium.

After already winning the National League title with a record number of points, the game against Maidstone effectively means nothing to both sides. Mellon will have one eye on the FA Trophy final in a few weeks where his side take on Lincoln at Wembley. It is for this reason that Mellon has decided to make changes for their clash with Maidstone.

"You'll see some changes, for sure," said Micky Mellon.

"I am aware that there will be many people who are saying that this is a bad decision that could blow up in my face but I think they are wrong. We have already won the National League title and it's clear that some of the players are starting to suffer from some fatigue. The game against Maidstone is a fantastic opportunity for the fringe players in the squad to show me what they've got ahead of next season."

"Connor Jennings and Lewis Collins will both play, as will Cole Stockton who deserves a chance to start. Adam Mekki and Adam Dawson will get a game on the wings and young Luke Pilling will get a start in goal. I'm really interested to see how young Luke performs, he's put in some cracking performances for the under 23's this season. "

Last edited:
maidstone.png

Tranmere finished the National League season with a win, a much-changed side beating Maidstone by two goals to one at the Gallagher Stadium.

[video=youtube;_T5gi5XY3PQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T5gi5XY3PQ[/video]

Lineups.jpg

Maidstone: Beeney, Driver, Lokko, Omar, Westley, Taylor (Enver-Marum 72), Paxman (Mills 51), Harris (Rogers 50), Healy, Odubade, Greenhalgh.
Subs Not Used: Larkins, Acheampong.

Booked: Westley, Rogers, Driver, Lokko.

Tranmere: Pilling, Vyner, Ihiekwe (Fitzwater 69), Coker, Shaw, Harris, Collins, Dawson, Mekki, C Jennings, Stockton (Cook 53).
Subs Not Used: Davies, Buxton, Mangan.

Booked: Harris.

Off: Harris (51).

Match_Stats_Bar_2.jpg

Referee: A Rawcliffe.
Stadium: Gallagher Stadium.
Attendance: 2,725 (470 away)
Possession: Maidstone 44% - 56% Tranmere
Shots: Maidstone 7 - 11 Tranmere
On Target: Maidstone 3 - 4 Tranmere
Fouls: Maidstone 15 - 12 Tranmere

Last edited: