Turkish Delight - Antalyaspor arise!

Milleg9

Reaction score
View attachment 247329

Today shock in Turkish football as Antalyaspor's attempt to make themselves a new force in Turkish football they have appointed Scottish Manager Gavin Miller the opportunity to take over as there new head coach on a 1 year deal.

"I am Delighted to be here and to be given the opportunity to take over at this club , A club that has put it's money where its mouth is"

View attachment 247323

The City of Antalya in the south coast of Turkey is an area on the rise with an increase in Tourism due to Investment into the area's city centre and beach resorts and the popularity of the city is something that Local club "ANTALYASPOR" are looking to take advantage of.

Chairmen of Antalyaspor Gultekin Gencer has certainly aimed to make the most of the changes in the City's Future with the building of a new stadium

View attachment 247314

The 50 Million project is a new state of the art stadium with a 33,000 capacity and the club has made the first steps in attempting to fill the new stadium and to show that they are taking the change very seriously with some Marquee Signings :

View attachment 247307
The Cameroon Striker has joined the Turkish club on a 2 year deal aimed at bringing a goal threat to the club, with a career spanning 18 years the striker has played 116 times for his country scoring 56 goals and played for clubs such as Real Madrid , Barcelona , Inter Milan , Chelsea.

Ronaldinho

View attachment 247306

The Brazilian legend a word that can truly be associated with him , Has won it all the World Cup , La Liga , Serie A , Champions League , Ballon d'Or to name a few. Most recently found in Mexico playing has taken up the opportunity to "Be part of a special project"

View attachment 247301
Ronaldinho's signing on bonus the new Antalyaspor cheerleaders

The Red Soldiers have certainly raised eyebrows and the addition of a complete unknown manager has fit the bill of eccentric owners who has praised the attacking Nature of the Scottish national Gavin Miller but has given a stern message.

View attachment 247300

"We have made out intentions clear , We want this club to be in Europe after this season anything less will not be acceptable and we will review our options"

( I hope you like the new story I am really excited and will do all I can to make this an interesting Story)​

I enjoyed my Antalyaspor save a lot, Emrah is a beast! Good luck!

Loving Ronaldinho's signing on bonus! More please! :p

View attachment 247267

View attachment 247266

As I walked along the beach on only my second day I found out just how much of a challenge this was going to be I had already been stopped twice on the beach for Photographs and had already had 3 calls from the chairmen asking if we wanted to go to Cyprus for a friendly - I could tell by his excitement he wanted to show off his new toy's.... Ala Eto'o and Ronaldinho

The tone of the conversation changed quite dramatically when I told the Owner that I did not want any of the backroom staff that were currently at the club , Literally none of them - I explained that the backroom staff had to be just as important as the players on the park...A few minutes later after what Can only be described as Turkish cursing I assume , I got what I wanted Mr Gencer had confirmed he would have all staff dismissed. 11 Local coaches all dismissed but I only thought about what I had to achieve.

View attachment 247265

I am sure the guys I have let go won't have too much trouble in finding something new, After all this is Antalya ( If i keep saying that maybe I will believe this is going to be a big place)​

View attachment 247264

"A couple of Interesting Developments in Antalyaspor today as the club have confirmed that they have had a big accepted for Bursapor centre back Serdar Aziz in a deal worth 1 Million Pounds"

View attachment 247263

"He has been dubbed the Turkish Sergio Ramos , with his playing style and his appearance , It is believed that Aziz has been offered the Vice captaincy to help persuade him to move from the challenging Bursaspor to the southern city of Antalya to be part of the Project Gavin Miller and the club is building"

<em>[video=youtube;sWGBwonOg-w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWGBwonOg-w[/video]

Aziz is believed to be offered a 4 year deal​

View attachment 247250

First meeting with the chairmen , Why do I have the feeling this is going to be interesting - he sent me over the agenda.
  • Coaching Staff
  • Players
COACHING STAFF :

We reviewed lots of the CV's and applications we got and there was a few that stood out for both myself and the owner first up was.....

Hasan Sas

View attachment 247249
I could tell that mr Gencer wanted Sas on board when he said

" He is a legend in Turkey, He was part of a special generation for our football and this would help us connect with the wider Turkish football population"

[video=youtube;wJ3iQna9f4A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ3iQna9f4A[/video]​

Hasan had been working as a coach for Galatasary until his release so he knows the League and he knows what it takes to win so it does make sense , It would be his first role as an Asst but it's my first role as manager and this keeps the chairman happy.

Mr Gencer had a clear train of thought about this connection to turkish football and he recommend another name to me

Yildray Basturk

View attachment 247247
Yildray had been working with the Turkish under 17 side as a coach and again he fits the profile of "Connecting with the Turkish football population" so if we bring in Sas and Basturk we are highlighting that we are wanting to give back to Turkish football and it keeps the chairmen happy as he clearly wanted these guys.

I fnally got to view some of my opinions , which I have the feeling is the way our relationship is going to be , I was more concerned with the fitness aspect of the team and with much persuasion I managed to bring in two British guys I wanted...

Nick Allamby

View attachment 247246
Nick comes recommended to me as someone that is a forward thinker and very professional in his role he has worked at Middlesborough and more recently Bradford not the most impressive but his results are very good and that's what I want.

View attachment 247244

The biggest personal coup for me was being able to bring in someone I could talk to on a personal level as well and when I managed to get sign on Gerry Docherty the St Mirren Head physio I felt relieved to be able to talk to someone about how much of a" ***** "the owner was and understand what I was on about.

So that covered off most of the Backroom staff with 1 or 2 minor additions still to be resolved but we then got onto a more exciting and frustrating conversation.

PLAYERS

View attachment 247242

After wrapping up our soon to be new Captain Serdar Aziz on his 4 year deal I felt that the chairmen and I were making the right moves....Aziz has potential sell on value and can also come in and do a job immediately.

We both agreed that we also needed a new goalkeeper and when we both seen that Mert Gunok the former Fenerbache goalkeeper was available on a free , we agreed to make some phone calls , 15 minutes later Mert was on the phone and he was really interested in what we were tying to do , I assured him if he came to us he would be number 1 from day 1

View attachment 247241

Mert gave us a verbal agreement that he would sign with us , But I think it was Mr Gencer's 125k signing on bonus which really grabbed the attention.

His phone went half way through our meeting , He asked me to give him 10 minutes Which I obliged and did not even want to ask what it was he was doing......

View attachment 247243

I heard what sounded like a Dutch voice on the other end

"250k is my fee , My client 250k and 20k a week with a 25% annual salary increase for 5 years"

I had no idea what this was or who it could be but it did not feel like the most legitimate of offers for a player when the owner would not disclose who it was because it could "jeopardize the deal"

What is he doing? Who is it? is it always going to be like this?

This is the club that wants to sign Messi in 5 years time! Any plans to do that? ;)

This is the club that wants to sign Messi in 5 years time! Any plans to do that? ;)

It is mate , and my aim is to make as many head turning signings as possible with at least 2 Marquee players but European football is key!!

not as easy to get messi though can't chuck strippers at him like Ronaldinho

View attachment 247099

Another big piece of news from Southern Turkey as Antalyaspor have tried to make another big statement of intent by picking up one of the hottest prospects in European football.....

ZAKARIA BAKKALI

[video=youtube;fcBqSVgjmaI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcBqSVgjmaI[/video]

"This club has made so many big signings this summer with Ronaldinho and Eto'o two players I idealized growing up and that was a big part of my decision to move here "

"The club made me a good offer and have promised me that they want to be a big club and I want to help with that"

"I had offers from some of the big teams in England but I felt that first team football was key , I did not want to play in reserves or in cup games , I want to play every week"

View attachment 247093

We wanted to show that we are not just picking up players at the end of their career , That we want to be a breeding ground for success and Zakaria can develop here to be one of the world greats.

I was in two minds after today's big announcement :

1: wow what a signing and we are not just going to turn into a retirement home like the MLS , Bakkali is a fantastic prospect and I really can't wait to work with him.

2:Am i in charge of this club or am I just a puppet for the Owner?​

View attachment 246454

View attachment 246453

First day of pre season training and I find out that in Ronaldinho's contract he only has to train 3 days a week during pre season as he is too old for full time training......Really I thought to myself is this a holiday camp? The most important time when I need to get the players to Understand what I want to achieve tactically and set expectations and we are letting one of our key players do what he wants..

View attachment 246448

I can see that this is going to be another challenge with Surprises like this.

Anyway!

View attachment 246451

I will be adopting a 4-4-2 approach initially but may look to adapt this , The initial idea is to play a lot of ball to feet and look to drag defenders out of position more and that's why the forwards will be playing more of a free role / False 9 to create the space in behind.

View attachment 246449
The wingers will be expected to be almost in line with the forwards to ensure a high pressing on the opposition back four , Which will also allow for a more attacking threat from overlapping full backs.

The engine room will have one ball winner and one box to box these players will be expected to contribute to the attacking phase and ensure the defence is not left unexposed.

It was clear from the first training session that some of these players were just not going to make the grade especially the midfielders they current players don't seem physically strong enough or fit enough , Another area we are going to have to upgrade.

I immediately thought of when I went to watch the USA as part of a training session where so much of the training was fitness and athleticism based.

View attachment 246447
It also made commercial sense as we have Ronny and Eto'o so why not look to get someone who is part of their national team to open avenue's into "The greatest country on earth"

I knew the potential financial implication would be an easy sell to the chairmen.

View attachment 246395

Okay so the chairmen has confirmed that he is open to the idea of looking into how we can tap into the american Soccer market as a way to broaden the Antalyaspor fanbase, we just need to hope we can now find the right player someone who fits the system and has a bit of an appeal as well.

View attachment 246387

We spoke with American super agent Brad Irving who said he had a client who may interested in a move as he has European experience from playing in the Bundesliga.

I was intrigued who it could be maybe someone like jermaine Jones , Michael Bradley.....

View attachment 246386

Benny Feilhaber

Benny has played in Germany , England and Denmark so certainly has got some European experience , He also has 40 caps for the US national team and is a regular in every squad under Jurgen Klinsman , But he was a bit more attacking than what I would have liked however he did fit the bill in many ways ...

European experience - Check
International status - Check
Fanbase appeal - Check
Hard working - Check
Value for money - Check

Benny confirmed his interest to play alongside Eto'o and Ronaldinho and to be part of the "project" and at 100k transfer fee it made sense.... Okay let's do this!

#bennyonboard
#thanksforgivingturkeyagobenny

just a few of the tweets from the Red solider fan base upon the announcement of their new midfield maestro and here is a sample of what they can look forward too.

[video=youtube;8Ap-r99JVa4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ap-r99JVa4[/video]​

Nice sign, be careful about foreign player limits though!

View attachment 246347

Antalyaspor have confirmed a further foreign signing today but have also seen one player leave the club on a free transfer.

View attachment 246343

[h=1]Clemente Rodríguez[/h]

The Argentine left back has joined the club on a free transfer following his release from Brazilian side Sao Paolo , the 20 time capped who had it not been for Javier Zanetti may have had more caps for his country but his 20 caps and experience of World Cups and Copa America's will be another valuable asset to the Antalyaspor overhaul.

"I have came here to win , I do not want to go my whole life without winning a competition in Europe and the way this club wants to develop is something that excites me" said the Veteran full back

Gavin Miller is quoted as saying " even at 33 Clemente shows a fantastic level of fitness , he was put through a very thorough medical as we wanted to make sure he was still capable and he passed with flying colours."

More of a shock is the departure of club captain Mehmet Sedef which clearly appears to have some bad blood around it.

View attachment 246337

"This club has lost its tradition , it has no identity and I do not want them to succeed in any shape or form, The Chairmen is a liar, The manager is a child and they are signing players who come only for a pay cheque it is not what football is about"

It is believe Sedef threatened manager Gavin Miller following the removal of his captaincy which lead to the dismissal of the player who is believed to be on his way to Erciyesspor as soon as he has agreed a contract.

There was no comment available from Antayaspor.

Good luck in Antalya! :D I am Turkish and I think irl Antalya are going to get relegated. They want to sign Kolo Toure, Andrey Arshavin and Andre Santos.

Ronaldinho was awful for Quechua his last club they hardly started him at the end he will probably be better in the game than irk

View attachment 245422

"I've got the squad I think we need for European football"

"I want to challenge for top 4/5"

"We will be hard to beat"

These are just a few of the quotes from Manager Gavin Miller in his final press conference before the first competitive game in the Turkish League.

View attachment 245412

The super star squad with some of the worlds biggest names open the season against Osmanlispor, The Ankara based outfit in their first season in the top flight in 5 years

View attachment 245413
"Watch out for there big striker Yeldiz , He plays with his elbows so just make sure you are physical back lads , Don't let him bully you"

View attachment 245407

"I am disappointed after this result , we were the better team, Do you think this will get you European football?, You need to play better!"

"Not one of their players are even on close to your salaries , I will not tolerate that again."

"Ronaldinho if you play like that again I will personally insure that you have double sessions everyday , You did not look bothered at all, You are not here for a holiday , Look at what you were and what you have become , You are better than that and only you can turn it round."

I don't like being the bad guy , But it felt like some of these guys did not take me seriously because I don't have a fancy CV like them so I had to make it clear my expectations....

LATER THAT NIGHT

View attachment 245405
RONALDINHO SPOTTED IN NIGHT CLUB

Reports that Brazilian maverick Ronaldinho spotted in night club , However does not look his normal Party self , Is this a turning point ?​