Illmatic

Reaction score

mourinhotactics1.jpg

Nowadays there are loads of good attacking tactics, but few good defensive ones. I have decided to create tactics that does not require world class stars or is about getting 1000 passes in a game. Instead they are based on a solid defence and winning games and titles no matter how. The man who perfectly embodies my tactical vision is José Mourinho. The self-proclaimed"Special One" is one of the best and successful managers in football and in history having won 18 trophies throughout his career which include: three trebles (2 with Porto and 1 with Inter), 6 league titles and 9 domestic cup titles. Mourinho has used different formations in his career such as 4-3-1-2 and 4-3-3 in Porto, 4-3-3 in Chelsea, 4-3-1-2 and 4-2-3-1 in Inter and now he is using 4-2-3-1 and occasionally 4-3-3 at Real Madrid. I plan to create all of his tactics in an ultimate tactic pack to give you the feeling that you are having a peek on the tactic board of “The Special One". Mourinho analyses games and let his opponents make the first moves before exploiting their weaknesses and that is what you will be able to do with this tactic pack.

FC Porto

Porto 4-3-1-2

View attachment 222432

Mourinho used an attacking 4-3-1-2 in his home games and against weak opponents. The tactic fields a offside line that has a stopper/cover combination in central defence with two marauding fullbacks who make sure that the field is as wide as possible and put in crosses. Further up the field there is a defensive midfield trio that works as a unit to deny the opposition space and protect the backline. Ahead of the midfield is a advanced playmaker who creates chances for the forwards who are two advanced forwards that finishes the teams moves. The aim of the tactic is to keep clean sheets while moving the ball fast to the forwards to score goals.

Player Requirements:

GK:The usual attributes of a goalkeeper but good rushing out and acceleration is a bonus

FB's:
The fullbacks need at least 15 pace/acceleration as they act as wingers and will have to rush back to their positions. At least 13 in crossing is needed beacuse it's the fullbacks to job to put in crosses. The fullbacks dont have to be great defensively but it helps if they have decent positioning, marking and tackling.

DC's: The defence is the most important part of Mourinho's tactics, the stopper will need at least 15 in aggression and bravery while the coverer will need 15 in anticipation and good acceleration.

DMC: The anchor man needs good anticipation and good postioning, marking and tackling.

CM's: The central midfielders will need good positioning and decent tackling and passing to keep the ball.

AMC: This is the playmaker and he will need good creativity, passing, dribbling, technique and decision.

ST's: The strikers will need good pace, finishing and off the ball movement.

Porto 4-3-3
View attachment 222433

What many don't know is that the reason behind Mourinho's 2003/2004 treble winning season is that he also played a counter attacking 4-3-3 against tough opposition and in away games. The 4-3-1-2 can get overrun on the wings and therefore the 4-3-3 is a better choice when away beacuse most teams attack when they are at home. The 4-3-3 keeps the shape and resticts space for the opposition to work in and then launches quick counter attacks to score goals. The defence of the 4-3-3 is the same as the 4-3-1-2 except the fullbacks will not go forward as often. The midfield is a double pivot that protects the backline while the advanced playmaker ahead of them plays killer balls and helps out defensively. The wide forwards man mark the fullbacks but move in attacking positions when on the counter. The lone forward just stays up and waits for balls.

Player Requirements:

The player requirements are the same as for the 4-3-1-2 except you will need AMR's and AML's with good pace and acceleration, crossing, dribbling and finishing.

Unless you have a big squad with players in all positions needed you will need a AMC that can play in the MC position. At Porto Mourinho had Deco who could play both roles and at Inter Sneijder. You will need at least one striker capable of playing on the wing at Porto Mourinho had Carlos Alberto and at Inter he had Eto'o. You will need to play both formations to be successful, 4-3-1-2 in home games and against weak opposition and 4-3-3 against tough opposition and away games. It can also be useful to switch between the tactics during a game. The best example of this was in the 2004 Champions League final against Monaco when Porto faced Monaco. Carlos Alberto scored in the first half to put Porto up 1-0, then Mourinho changed to the 4-3-3 and only counter attacked with 3 players. The final ended 3-0 and Mourinho completed his biggest achivement: winning a treble with Porto. To demonstrate the tactics I played a full season switching between the two tactics with Porto.

Results:
View attachment 222442View attachment 222443View attachment 222444View attachment 222445View attachment 222446View attachment 222447View attachment 222448View attachment 222449View attachment 222450View attachment 222451View attachment 222452View attachment 222453
View attachment 222454
Analysis:
View attachment 222455View attachment 222456View attachment 222457View attachment 222458View attachment 222459

To prove that the stars of Porto were not the reason for the success I had, I tested the tactic in the Barclays Premier League with Everton who were predicted to finish in 8th place.
Everton

View attachment 222460View attachment 222461View attachment 222462View attachment 222463View attachment 222464View attachment 222465View attachment 222466View attachment 222467View attachment 222468View attachment 222469View attachment 222470

4-3-1-2: http://www.mediafire.com/?rma4mcynrc54oj8
4-3-3: http://www.mediafire.com/?aph6ta9ztejcteh

Upcoming:
Chelsea 4-3-3
Inter 4-2-3-1 & Inter Ultra Defensive 4-5-1
Real Madrid 4-2-3-1

Last edited:
I would love to see the transfers you made with Porto if you would be able to provide a screenshot.

Plus I would also like to see how you lined out in 4-3-1-2 if that is possible.

would love to see the 4312 inter period....are u goign to release that tactic?

It was created with the default patch, you should test to see if it works well with the latest one

Great job. Its just that if its with the older patches, having a solid defence is enough to win all matches. Could you perhaps patch up and use the 12.1.1 and take it from there ? I am not putting you down, its just that in 12.0.X, one would dominate with a top team by just hitting continue with the default tactic that came with the team when taking over

Cheers

hi mate great work and i hope that you'll upload chelsea,inter and real versions very soon :)

Last edited:
Looks great, any idea when the others will be released?

Can u give the match prep focus in detail??

He's explained it. Very high with no focus until the tactic is 100% fluid, then very low (keeps it at 100%) with the focus area on defensive positioning. The work load doesn't effect the focus area.

Ok...tq mate.. :)...is it for both tactics??when use the attack tactics ...still use the defensive match prep??please advise.. :)

Thx for the feedback guys i'm almost done with the chelsea 4-3-3 and will be working on the inter tactics next week.

Ok....try it...i'm also use this tactic for 2011...very good tactics... :),but in 2011 -center mid is a ball winning mid . ;)