Why do I always have slow start of the season?

horsovski

Reaction score
I'm in my 5th season now with AC Milan and I'm noticing it's same story at the start of every season. I start of very slow, not winning many matches, being in the middle of league table and then usually around December/Januar team goes on insane run until the end, winning almost all matches (CL including).

I'm playing 4-1-2-1-2 and have a pretty good team by now but for some reason this always happens at the start of the season. Am I doing something wrong? My preseason is always good though, I keep it at fitness very high and a lot of match training (tactics) and getting good results with it so I'm not sure why, when season finally starts, I always start bad and then need to catch up (usually too late) ?

Thanks

I had the same problem for a long a time,I'll tell you how I manage to solve it! First of all,whenever I start with ho matter which team,and I after I create a tactic,in my opinion pre season is a key thing for whole season,not only for the start! At least 6 but if it possible up to 10 friendly matches, I play every 3 or 4 days. And,as we all like to buy lot of players it is really important to slowly introduce them into the team,so try to rotate as much as possible in friendly matches. Training,teamwork and team cohesion(very high),thats what I am using. Thats pretty much it,it is working great for me,I hope I helped you!!

I agree, pre-season matches help a lot.

Last edited:
I had the same problem for a long a time,I'll tell you how I manage to solve it! First of all,whenever I start with ho matter which team,and I after I create a tactic,in my opinion pre season is a key thing for whole season,not only for the start! At least 6 but if it possible up to 10 friendly matches, I play every 3 or 4 days. And,as we all like to buy lot of players it is really important to slowly introduce them into the team,so try to rotate as much as possible in friendly matches. Training,teamwork and team cohesion(very high),thats what I am using. Thats pretty much it,it is working great for me,I hope I helped you!!

You don't do fitness training and tactics match training in pre-season at all or do you switch to teamwork and team cohesion later on? And, when season starts, when and to what do you change your training settings?

Thanks

Last edited:
No,in pre-season only teamwork and team cohesion and than when season starts I switch it to balance(average) and tactics. But if you notice during the season that you concede too many goals or score too few,you can than change your training to attacking movement or defending.

I go 6 week pre-season. First 2 weeks is fitness at very high, rest only after match. Then alternate tactics and team cohesion until the season starts. Continue to train tactics until fully fluid in all tactics. Assuming you do not change your tactics or add a bunch of new players. Then go with what your team needs at a level that fits the fixture list. Usually ball control or defensive movement at average level for me. Once November hits then allow rest before match.

I have found that if you mostly keep the squad and coaching staff the same from one season to next, you will start off very strong.

read from somewhere in this forum but can't remember who is the person who wrote it. Credit to him.
I used the same and find it to be working quite well.

Pre-Season
Very High - Team Cohesion
Match Prep - 50%
Match Prep - Tactics

in Season
Low - Balance (but sometime i switch to Ball Control)
Match Prep - 30/40% (I usually set it to 40%, then bring it down based on my assistant's advice)
Match Prep - Def movement (I switch this around depending on opposition)

Individual Training
Role - Heavy

I could see the players improving a lot at the end of the season, and more if they are involved in more games.

Your pre season training must be low. I was Dagenham, and i used to lose every other game in League 2 when I had low preseason training. Stormed the league with high preseason training the season after.

In my opinion the biggest problem is fitting in new signings every year. If you fit in to much new players it takes time to play well. Most of times my good run starts in november until the end of season. Friendlies can help. You also can sometimes play with the same players of last year and fit in a few players at a time.

I have this same problem in the majority of my saves especially my portsmouth one which is current as the majority of my team is based on loan players and free transfers who i either sell or are let go after a year.

Would look at team work and team cohesion in your training and also try and intergrate new players into competitive matches slowly.