FM23 - A Fresh Start

misterioBean

Reaction score
png-transparent-vitoria-s-c-guimaraes-primeira-liga-ligapro-portimonense-s-c-football-sport-lo...png

Ok ok hear me out here. This is not a Youth2Gold 3.0. This is not me stopping the Viking challenge. Let me explain what's the plan here.

So, if you followed my last posts, along the way we had a Youth2Gold save with the Portuguese side Vitória SC, more commonly known by Vitória de Guimarães. This is the club I support in real life and I always end up doing multiple saves with them on FM, a regular one with no rules and no goal other than making them the biggest club possible and a Youth2Gold. This year Y2G wasn't making it for me. For some reason I lost interest and I didn't make another save with them... until now.

Real Life Background

Now it's different. The club is passing a hard time in this beginning of season. We just got eliminated from the Conference League against Celje from Slovenia on penalties after a very bad performance at our home and a 4-3 win in Slovenia. We won the first league game of the season and right after that win the manager, Moreno, announced he was leaving the club with no justifications given on why he chose to do so.
Furthermore, the current president António Miguel Cardoso, claims the club is currently on a difficult financial state, even though we made some of the biggest sales in our history and sold some actions to VSports, the owner of Aston Villa.

After a season with Moreno, the football we were practicing was highly criticized since the beginning, sticking to a 5-4-1 formation with little to no versatility, this season he tried a new formation, a 5-3-2 but once again being criticized because the team simply wasn't playing well because they couldn't adapt to the system Moreno envisioned.

Now the team sees itself with no manager, no European competitions and not much money to move around.

Goals for the Save

The goal here will be, like I said before, make Vitória SC one of Portugal's best teams, but this time not only with young players. Just a good old normal Football Manager save.

Like I said the plan is not to completely stop the Viking save. I intend to keep playing both saves and keep updating them. My plan is to play each save for 1 or 2 days and then move to the other. If I can do this I'm sure it's doable.

The main reason I'm making this new save with Vitória SC is I always end up having the most fun when managing them. The feeling of hating when I lose but I loving when I do something we weren't expected to do is amazing and I can't replicate them in any other saves.

I hope I can make this experience as enjoyable for you as it usually is for me. Let's get this going!​

Last edited:
Club Info and Expectations

1692135442639.png

For those who don't know Vitória SC, this is a club that celebrated their 100th anniversary last season and has been a Portuguese top tier club for most of it's existence. In fact, we were only relegated twice in 100 years. The first time was in 1955 and more recently in 2006, but we got right back to the first division and have been a top half team ever since.
Being a top half team is'nt enough though. Our supporters are really ferverous and really want to be on the top 5 every season.

The biggest rivalry we have is with Braga and let me tell you one thing: everyone knows about the Porto-Benfica rivalry but this one is different. It can't be explained, you need to live it to understand it.

In terms of trophies, we have a Supertaça de Portugal, won in 1988, and a Taça de Portugal, won in 2013 against Benfica.

There are some known players that passed through Vitória in the recent years. Some people may know Moussa Marega, Bernard Mensah, Ghislain Konan, Dalbert, Otávio, Edmond Tapsoba, the new Inter Milan's player Yann Bisseck or, more recently, Ibrahima Bamba who left to Al-Duhail this summer.

Finances

1692135717791.png

The clubs finances are not great as I said before. This season we were able to get some money in with the sales of our 2 best CB's to Qatar. Ibrahima Bamba left to Al-Duhail for a fee around 9M + 3M in objectives and André Amaro left to Al-Rayyan for around 8M + a % of a future sale (the full details of both deals will only be announced in the end of the transfer window).

We also saw other players leaving like Anderson Silva and Nicolas Janvier, who both joined Antalyaspor for a conjunt fee of around 3M€ (according to the media). Ruben Lameiras was let go for free with a % of future transfer to Desportivo de Chaves.

So all things considered we were able to get around 20M€ in sales this season. But we also saw some players joining the team, who I will introduce in a bit.

For this reason, the finances in game are a bit higher than the original ones but it's nothing much. It's only 5M in balance and 1.5M in transfer budget, which considering the value of the sales is not much.

Supporter Expectations

1692136273366.png

I would say the expectations here are fairly realistic as this is quite literally the way most our supporters think. Basically they want us to play high-tempo entertaining football (which if you followed my last few saves it's the only way I play). Developing players using the youth academy is very suitable because Vitória has one of the best academies in the country.

Like I said, being competitive against Braga is a requirement and also finishing above Boavista who are also our fierced rivals.

Board expectations

1692137063080.png

Our board expectations are quite straight forward and as long as we are in Europe they will be happy.

Staff

1692139048084.png

With the main manager leaving the club I thought it was just fitting to send everyone with him.

Earlier in the summer the physio department was all fired IRL as well so off they go.

The Squad

Goalkeeper

1692139068999.png

Our main keeper is Bruno Varela and he is very good. In my opinion, one of the best GK's Vitória has had in the last decade.

1692139152375.png

As for his backups, we have Charles, who joined the club this season from Olympia Nicosia for an undisclosed fee (at least until Septbember). We also have Celton Biai, a younger option but when we played last season he clearly showed he needs to develop more before getting the chance to be in the squad.

Central Defenders

This is a very delicate position. Our 2 best CB's left and we only had one new signing for now.

1692139351534.png

This are our 2 main guys in my opinion. Both of them are good and even though Villanueva is not the fastest, Borevkovic compensates on that matter a bit. Borevkovic was loaned to Hadjuk Split last season and this year was close to leave to the MLS before Amaro left. He's now reintegrated in the squad so we should be using him no doubt.

1692139492719.png

The only signing for the CB position was Tomás Ribeiro and he looks good as well. He will be Villanueva's backup.

1692139551608.png

As for the right spor we have Jorge Fernandes and Mamadou Tounkara. For this season I think I will send Tounkara on loan to enhance his development and keep Jorge for Borevkovic's spot.

Right Back

1692139646103.png

Two options here and obviously we will play mainly Miguel Maga and have Bruno Gaspar as his backup for the season. I don't think we really need to replace Gaspar unless we have a very good offer for him.

Left Back

1692139747124.png

On the left side we have a new signing on Ricardo Mangas who joined us from Boavista for a fee of 1M€ (according to the media) and Afonso Freitas. They are very similar in quality so we will have a good rotation here, Unfortunately for Vitória, Mangas picked up an injury on the preseason and won't be available for a while, but we can use him in the game at least.

Deep Lying Playmaker

1692139893800.png

He was on loan last year and was signed this season because he was just too good not to sign. Zé Carlos will be our main guy for this role and can even play in other positions as well.

1692139968521.png

As for his backups, we will stick with Tomás Handel and try to loan Matheus Indio.

Box-to-Box

1692140024279.png

The heart and soul of our midfield for a couple of seasons now and will still have his spot on the first 11. André André is the captain and is one of our best players so we will keep him here.

1692140113776.png

As for his backups, keep one loan one here. Still unsure who we should loan out but probably Manu.

Advanced Playmaker

1692140189764.png

Two options here too, the first is Tiago Silva who is a very good creative midfielder. His backup is also a new signing who joined from Chaves for free. João Mendes also has very good creative traits and will be Tiago's backup.

Right Wing

1692140307672.png

Very 50-50 here. I think we will start mostly André Silva but Nelson da Luz offers us some things André just can't, mainly his dribbling capabilities and more speed.

Left Wing

1692140402423.png

Two new signings for this spot and probably two of the best we've had this year. Nuno Santos joined from the MLS and is easily our main guy here. Telmo Arcanjo joined on a free from Tondela and even though he is left footed I think he weill do good here. Like Mangas, he is also injured but Arcanjo won't be back until January... Talk about luck.

Striker

1692140538317.png

Moreno was using Jota Silva as a striker and to be honest I'm happy to do the same. He is very fast and is good at shooting so why not? There's just one thing I don't agree here and is his jumping reach. I think out of all our strikers he is the one who jumps the most but the game analysts don't think the same.

1692140661407.png

We have Safira and Butzke as his backups. Butzke is also a new signing and, for now, is the only player who I'm not convinced. He's probably a good target forward but I don't usually use them so he will be our 3rd option.

Youth Prospects

1692140850930.png
1692140861286.png
1692140867782.png
1692140872066.png
1692140876998.png

Just a quick glampse at our youth academy here...

The Tactic

1692141002670.png

I decided that on this save we won't be using the 4-3-3 DM anymore and instead we will be going for a 4-5-1. Just a little change of pace here.​

Last edited: