2 left back

2 right back

4 central defenders

1 defensive midfielder/defender

4 central midfielders

2 attacking midfielders

3 strikers

2 wingers each side

I'm extremely happy with how the squad is built, however my real question is, say one of my strikers is having an amazing season where every game he scores, the logical thing is to not bench him, play him, y'know? what about the other two, will they decrease?

Part of me has, the youngsters in particular, available for the reserves, but doesn't want to send them on loan, or the back up players, in case of injury, y'know?

First time in ages I've managed to get myself a satisfying start to a save and I'm wanting to go long term on this one and not make any mistakes.

Any advice?

I'd get rid of a couple of the CM's and get an extra DM as 4cm's for 1 spot is too many and you've not currently got any backup for your DM. Personally I'd get rid of 1 of your keepers as I've never known one of my sides to need more than 2 and I'd get rid of one of the strikers as I tend to have 2.

But I do tend to try and build a squad where most positions can be covered by players who focus on another one, e.g. AM's can cover ST if need be, same with CM's, DM's and CB's. Extra cover for my defence across the line, normally one of my 4 CB's can cover either LB or RB with the backup to which ever one he covers also being able to cover the other one.

Then if my backup is about to become good enough to take over the starting slot I'll get a extra youngster for a season until I sell my current starter and move everyone in that position up a slot. (so my backup becomes my starter and the youngster becomes my backup)

I run a similar formation (just with 3 AMC's over wingers) and I know your pain. I've currently got 2 keepers (one of which is still 20 - the other is a 30 year old DDG), 5 wingbacks, 3 of which can play either side and the other two are dedicated left backs, 4 CBs, 2 DMs, 3 CMs that can also play in other positions, about 8 AMCs (3 of which are youth prospects) and 3 strikers.

Keeping them all happy can be a total pain, but seems ok. Main problem is the AMC area, but my first choice 3 consist of two Ballon D'Or winners and a Euro Golden Boy, so it's hard to bench them. Luckily with all comps, I can rotate pretty well.

Unfortunately though, I have had to sell some pretty good players/prospects over the seasons because of game time issues.

Last edited:
3 keepers

2 left back

2 right back

4 central defenders

1 defensive midfielder/defender

4 central midfielders

2 attacking midfielders

3 strikers

2 wingers each side.

1. Being Celtic you need to be seriously competing on multiple fronts so your squad is not big.

2. Id lose one Gk, get another fb who can play both sides (loan Wallace of Chelsea/Jonathan Silva/loan Digne from PSG/Sime Vrsaljko), lose one CM get at least one more dm (preferably two who can also play at cb - Stefan Strandberg is cheap or KARA who is not, or one such DM plus a cb - loan Kurt Zouma/Facundo Cardozo from whoever bought him/Rasmus Thelander).

Maybe drop a goalkeeper and a full back. Otherwise that's how generally a squad would be for me. It's largely dependent on what system you play, but the generic squads tend to follow this kind of sample plan.

Don't be afraid to loan players out. Just add the clause which allows you to recall them before the loan spell ends if you need to.

Have a look at the "Celtic 2nd Season" and "views on my transfer dealings" threads a couple of pages ago.

If you work backwards, you should be able to see who I punted & signed.

Without any sort of 'cheating' - i.e. using editor etc, I managed to sell about £120M worth of players over 3 seasons and ploughed it back in again - just got drawn against PSG in last 16 of Champ League in 3rd season which is a save I will probably go back to but it was getting kind of silly.