Lower League Tactic HELP (Leyton Orient)

Hyphron

Reaction score
I started off a season with Leyton Orient in League 1.

The season started extremely well picking up 5-0 wins away at oldham and 3-0 away at scunthorpe. As the season progressed the mid-season was a disaster, throwing away 2 goal leads was something that often occured and sometimes getting hammered 3-0 or 4-0. Towards the end of the season form picked up once again and I managed to secure 5th in the league, eventually getting knocked out of the first round of the play offs.

View attachment 264044

View attachment 264029

Throughout the entirety of the season the formation that was used was a 4-1-2-3:

View attachment 264052

View attachment 264027
The season overall went ok but silly mistakes were made by throwing away 2-0 leads and losing must win games that cost us automatic promotion. To ensure automatic promotion next year I was wondering if anyone could recommend a change in tactics for next season or what could be altered about the current one to ensure that the O's get back up to the championship.

Thanks!

The widemen grant and *** as well as clough upfront are the only real injection of speed and skill in the team the rest are just strong physical players which made me consider going 442 next season but i thought id ask here for help

Where were you predicted to finish?

What are the issues with the tactic?

What's the idea behind the tactic / How is it supposed to work?

Board wanted play off places so top 6.

The formation is great going forward and often scores first, however, the problem I come across is keeping a lead. Once I've gone 1 or 2 up in a tricky game I tend to lose and concede 3 or 4, this happened a lot throughout the season.

I wasnt sure whether It would be better for me to change formation or whether it was how I was playing the game that was making this happen. For example after going 2-0 up against MK dons i attempted to contain straight after but again they came back 2-2.

I just cant work out what the problem is... should I change formation, or what could be changed about the current one to ensure its more defensively solid. As well as this what should I do in game once ive taken a lead?

It's strange that you ask about being more solid defensively when you have a Control mentality, both fullbacks on Attack duty and aggressive pressing + very high line. These are all quite aggressive.

What did you change to contain MK Dons?

It's not that bad. You were expected to finish 6th. You finished 5th. Better than expected.

Just changed the mentality to contain after going 2-0 in the game.

I'm not very good at the game, what improvements do you think I should make to ensure i'm tighter defensively but not to lose that attacking spark?

Thanks for the advice

Just changed the mentality to contain after going 2-0 in the game.

But you left everything else as is? That's not going to work! Contain isn't a magic button. It gives your team a defensive mentality, yes. They'll be narrower, close down less etc. but you still have the roles and duties as they are plus a million TIs.

I'm not very good at the game, what improvements do you think I should make to ensure i'm tighter defensively but not to lose that attacking spark?
I suggest you make a plan B tactic that's less attacking or even somewhat defensive.

View attachment 263772

What do you think of this for a more defensive option if things go wrong?

The aim to sit back and defende and counter with the roaming playmaker playing balls to the wingers and clough upfront

Try it? Post your observations.

So I went 1-0 up against Swindon away in the first game of the season. I kept the attacking formation as it was going well. Next thing you know their goalie plays a ball straight to their striker who heads it in before it even hits the ground. 1-1. I switch to the defensive formation and contain and go on to lose the game 3-1... Dont know what happened.

Next game I switched to a basic 4-4-2 against blackpool at home, we take a 3-1 win.

What do you guys think about 4-4-2 as a lower league formation?

Any reccomendations for making the other one more defensive as clearly mine hasn't worked

A 4-4-2 is perfect for the lower leagues.

You said you switched to the formation posted above. That formation is shown as having a Counter mentality. If things were going well, why go THAT defensive by going contain? Do you still have all the TIs activated?

You also haven't posted any observations on your defensive variant. You may not even need to go more defensive than that. It just needs to be set up properly.

I switched to that formation after throwing away the 1-0 lead and going 1-1 to play for a draw. I then conceded another goal so switched from counter to contain. Final score was 3-1.

The formation conceded 2 goals and clearly wasn't successful, and yes the instructions were kept the same for both of them.

I know its a lot to ask but could you maybe help me form a defensive formation that will work when trying to hold a lead, thanks.

I can't build your tactic for you. You don't seem to be putting any thought or effort into this, so you cannot expect me to.

I've also already mentioned that your TIs are aggressive. Do you think then that using them on a defensive tactic is a good idea? You need to think about what you want from this tactic. What you want to do with and without the ball.

Even as I'm questioning your TIs, your tactic may have been close to being good enough? Letting in 2 goals yes, but you've posted no other observations about it even when I've asked you more than once. You'd be surprised at how competent you could be at creating a tactic if you actually watch it in action. Key highlights don't count.

In Conflictinbanno's thread below yours, he thanked me for helping him. I told him that he did at least half the work by watching his tactic and making changes based on that. I just nudged him in the right direction.

If I start creating tactics for everyone, no one learns anything. If the slightest thing goes wrong, they wouldn't know what to do, because they're playing with someone else's tactic and someone else's vision of attacking/defending/playing football.

Im new to the game and didnt actually realise you could watch the full game and was only watching key highlights. Thanks for the advice, ill watch some games, make some changes and let you know how i get on.

Thanks!