The Target Man, coming to a cinema near you

AceAvenger

Reaction score
I hate playing target men, despise it, I feel they are all lumbering oafs that can't play football but in my Atalanta save on regen day, God decided to give me this as punishment.

D3eEo.png

Now this guy could be potentially a Ballon D'Or contender but the **** thing is, you guessed it, he's a target man.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone play target men and finds them integral to their play and if so can they show me their tactics and break it down a bit?
  2. Should I just put him on Quickness training and force him to become faster or should I embrace his gorilla like physicality?
  3. Should I just groom him up and sell him to Inter Milan for a lot of money or is he too good for that and could propel this small club from Bergamo to Italian and European glory?
  4. Why is he bald at 15?

1. Not usually, but I find the easiest way is to restrict their creativity. Make them do their job and their job ONLY. As in, make them hold the ball up, win headers, get on the end of crosses, bring others into play, and shoot. That's it. Nothing else.

2. Quickness training would help. At 15, he has a lot of room to grow into his attributes, so perhaps making him more rounded would be a benefit.

3. Depends. If you can get lots for him, I'd sell him, if not... I wouldn't. Guess it all comes down to how confident you are of turning him into a star.

4. Alopecia?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll just turn him into a well rounded player, I'm sure he has loads of PA to burn. His stamina is a good sign, at least he won't stop running.

1 Does anyone play target men and finds them integral to their play and if so can they show me their tactics and break it down a bit?
2 Should I just put him on Quickness training and force him to become faster or should I embrace his gorilla like physicality?
3 Should I just groom him up and sell him to Inter Milan for a lot of money or is he too good for that and could propel this small club from Bergamo to Italian and European glory?
4 Why is he bald at 15?

1 - Very rarely, as in your case, almost always they perform like ****. I've had the oddball target man who's done very well, and few who've done very well the way you'd expect from a target man. The first case of the former was Zigic with Sampdoria in FM11, he did well with positioning, off the ball movement and so his 12 pace was enough, he scored me bags. But his game was more alike to what -I- (and here note I know almost nothing of real football) expect from a poacher. Of the latter, Artem Dzyuba worked more like what I expect, with headers to companions not just ahead, but also behind, when not in position to strike, passing, crossing; but he only did for a few matches, that vanished. Now I've got a regen that has 19 yrs, around 18 heading, 15+ jumping, 18 passing, crossing, finishing, 14 composure, 10 pace, 8 dribbling and acceleration, 13-15 in decisions and off the ball. I've played him twice, in a 4-2-3-1 deep, in which I've manually set the AMC (T-A) a bit more offensive, the AMR/L a couple ticks from standard (IF-As) and him (TM-S) with the attacking set to two-three lower then AMC, no runs forward, no runs with the ball, medium long shots (12), often passes and crosses, and similarly along an AF-A in a 5-3-2 and in both cases he's been marvellous, scoring and creating goals (not just with last pass) acting as what I expected from the TM. So what I'd tell you is to either give him a match in your first team or manage one of the younth matches (it may not be possible, I set this morning to control reserve team and the match was played out of my control, the difference was in the post match report -I- picked somebody's as top performer) and see if he behaves like a target man should. If he does, then maybe you can risk developing him that way. Else, try to round him.

2 As above, if he doesn't play like a target man is supposed to, go for that. At his age and with his phisical stats, he looks like one that can be turned into something else than a TM.

3 You still have several years ahead to watch his development. Watch his progression each year and decide according to how likely he'll reach his potential or not and the offers you may get.

4 He went to Spain and got fooled. That is someone le tomó el pelo.

1. Not usually, but I find the easiest way is to restrict their creativity. Make them do their job and their job ONLY. As in, make them hold the ball up, win headers, get on the end of crosses, bring others into play, and shoot. That's it. Nothing else.

Anything else beneath restricting creativity for modifying the TM role ? Any other rules of thumb for I have not managed to create good TMs yet.

Hints would be appreciated.

1. Does anyone play target men and finds them integral to their play and if so can they show me their tactics and break it down a bit?

In Rosenborg, a save which I cant open anymore for some reason, I played with Prica and the talent Bakenga upfron. Where Bakenga was the poacher and Prica as the Targetman in a supporting role. That worked very well in my 4-4-2 and I turned my season around after a bad start where i tried to play 4-2-3-1.

A Target man basically needs a fast partner upfront, a more creative and mobile type. Either a player that are more of an trequartista or deeplying player like a rooney. Or a poacher which goes deep behind the space your target man create.

2. Should I just put him on Quickness training and force him to become faster or should I embrace his gorilla like physicality?
Yes, as other ones have said. It can only help with a more mobile gorilla, unless you want him to perfect his strenghts.

3.Should I just groom him up and sell him to Inter Milan for a lot of money or is he too good for that and could propel this small club from Bergamo to Italian and European glory?
Depends what they offer, but I wouldn't sell for less then 60 milion euros. However you should keep him, he's a young player with alot of potential. He can be a key player in the future, eitehr way it would be intresting to find out how good he can get in my opinion.

4.Why is he bald at 15?
Weren´t Rooney quite bald at 15 too?

Does anyone play target men and finds them integral to their play and if so can they show me their tactics and break it down a bit?
  1. Should I just put him on Quickness training and force him to become faster or should I embrace his gorilla like physicality?
  2. Should I just groom him up and sell him to Inter Milan for a lot of money or is he too good for that and could propel this small club from Bergamo to Italian and European glory?
  3. Why is he bald at 15?

1 - I play with a Poacher as target man and it works very well. more than 70 goals per season. The tactic is Makavelli vs Barça. Its in the forum.

2 - Yes

3 - Keep it if you want to put Atalanta in the front. if you just want money, sell him. Simple

4 - He's a skinhead. Maybe you can sell him to Lazio