NiallC14

Reaction score
View attachment 212301

New reports coming from Belgium today have reported that K.R.C Genk manager Mario Been has resigned due to serious health issues within his close family. “It is with great sadness today that I have to announce my resignation from the post as manager here at Genk. I just hope that the supporters understand my reasoning behind it and that it is as better for both parties if I step down and let a focused mind take over a club that can go places.

Genk have also made a statement reading, “Due to Mario stepping down from his position this morning we are currently in the search for a manager and will announce his replacement in the coming days. I just ask that the fans will be patient in these tough few days.

View attachment 212303

I awoke early on a Sunday morning to the sound of my phone. I have to say i was more then surprised when i saw that it was from my agent.
"Have a great job opportunity for you! Give us a ring back ASAP!"
I was overjoyed this was my first opportunity to get back into work after i was sacked by Ipswich at the start of the year.

"Hello Mick, this is Roy you said you have a job for me?"
"That is what I said Roy, its for K.R.C Genk. I send in your CV when the position became available and they are really keen on getting you in for a chat. You up for it?"

"I'm not so sure Mick, they aren't the biggest club ever. However I would like to meet the chairman and discuss some details."
"​Great! I'll arrange for you to fly over and have the meeting this evening. See you there!"

______________________________________________________________________________________________

I was set to meet the Chairman, Andy Craven, at 6.00pm in a hotel in Brussels. I have to say i was very skeptical, but could i afford to be? I had been in 2 managerial jobs and was sacked from both of them.

Andy: "Hello Roy great to meet you."
"And nice to meet you. My agent has told me about how keen you are to have me here."

Andy: "Yes, we think your a great man for the job, here at Genk we have won our first league in some time and want to kick on and make a legacy while we have the chance. We received many applications but when we came across yours you fitted the bill. We want to make history here and win the Champions League at some time in the near future and in doing so increasing the reputation of Belgian football. You are young, have been around the best, and can really make a name for youself here!"
"Ok, you've won me over seeing how keen you are to progress this club forward and i want to be a part of that!"

Andy: "One last thing Roy, when cannot give you much room to move in this transfer market but hopefully if we do well and qualify for the group stages of the Champions League it should improve."
"That's fine, I'm happy to sign whenever your ready"

______________________________________________________________________________________________

View attachment 212307

Genk have confirmed the signing of Roy Keane as the new man to take their club forward!
He will take over with immediate effect!

View attachment 212308

Constructive criticism encouraged! First story on here so any tips about layout or mistakes i make fell free to say. Next update tomorrow hopefully.

Glad someones doing a Genk story :) Start looks good so I will be following.

Transfers

It was a tough first week in the job. I had no money to make my mark on the team and the players that are hear cant adjust to the way i want to play. The team was good and we had some players that i was able to get rid off and allow me to buy some of my targets.

My first signing was the Belerusian Dzmitry Verkhovtsov. His contract expires on the 1st of Jan and i move quickly to get him to join me then:

View attachment 212369

Next I was contacted by a agent for me to have a look at his player. I sent a scout out to see the lad play and he was impressed. However his 850k price tag was going to be a problem. To my surprise the board helped me by arranging the transfer themselves. There it was my first signing:

View attachment 212370

I then went on to sign Jack Robinson on loan from my parent club Liverpool and Lomana LuaLua on a free:

View attachment 212372View attachment 212373

I then let go off some players that didn't want to be at the club and recouped £1.2 million in the process. This allowed me to make 1 major signing and someone I consider to be the future of this club for years to come.

View attachment 212374

"Hello I welcome you hear today to Cristal Arena where we will present out major signing Yaya Sanogo to the press. I will now answer and questions."

"Greg Wild, De Standaard. How big do think Yaya can be at this club and do you see him as a player for the future or now?"
"Well Greg I think that Yaya will be the face of this club in the future but i also see him playing a key role this year. He is a hugely talented lad with a bright future and as soon as he settles he will produce that on the field."

"Max Lenin, Gazet van Antwerpen. Do you consider this to be a massive coup for K.R.C. Genk?"
"Of course it is Max, Yaya is a coveted player across Europe but valued first team football over high wages and i praise him for that. He was wanted by many clubs but seemed to like what he saw when he visited and was happy to sign."

"Also how much pressure do you think he will have on his shoulders as all eyes will be on how he adapts."
"Not much, he is a very confident player so the attention he gets he will thrive on. He has also came to a club where there are truly wonderful fans who will support him from the get go. I have to get going as we have a Key match to prepare for. Bye. "

Transfers:
View attachment 212375

View attachment 212411

Cristal Arena
Genk 1 : 0 Sporting (POR)
Barda

View attachment 212412
"Good performance, kept the ball well and didn't concede.All positives so far."

De Vliert
FC Dan Bosch 0 : 1 Genk
Ogunjimi

View attachment 212415
"Another clean sheet but not getting carried away. They were poor."

Stade de l'Epopée
Calais RUFC 0 : Genk 6
Tozsér, Vossen, Barda(3)

View attachment 212416
"Another good performance but against lacking opposition. Need to produce this against top teams now."

Cristal Arena
Genk 0 : 1 Liverpool
Bellamy

View attachment 212414
"Didn't expect to much but the effort put in was disappointing."

Moselstadion
Trier 1 : 2 Genk
Knartz, Nwanganga, Barda

View attachment 212413
"Good performance to round up pre-season. Loss of concentration to concede a late goal which was disappointing."

Pre-season was pleasing and showed I have a good squad with good depth. We now have to kick on and get good results in a very important Champions Cup Champions Qualifying 3 against Shamrock Rovers. It is key that I qualify to increase reputation and finances. Barda has shown just how good a finisher he is and he will be key in my push for the title.​

Last edited:
Gald to see people are following. Anybody got any problems with the layout etc. ?

I like the layout, but perhaps you could write 1 or 2 more lines about the game, maybe a description of a couple of goals or turning points like penalties or red cards.

I like it so far and please keep hold of Vossen. I bought him in 5th season and he was an absolute beast!

Will do. Only pre-season anyway not much to be said. I was seriously considering selling vossen. How did u play him cause hes poor for me.

I bought him in my portsmouth save. He was really a back-up to Quintero, but when he played he was getting ratings of about 7.3 every game. He was playing as a poacher in a 4-5-1, but i probably more suited to a target man and he can then bring in the inside forwards into scoring chances.

View attachment 212517

Genk 4 : 1 Standard
Vossen, Borre, Ogunjimi, Tozser

View attachment 212492
"Was a great performance from the team in our first competitive game. Dominated the game and was 3-0 up at half time. Anele being sent of was the only blemish of the performance. It is now on to a very important fixture against Shamrock Rover."

Genk 3 : 1 Shamrock Rovers
Sarr(2), Stevens(og), Sandomierski(og)

View attachment 212489
"Another strong performance against a surprisingly defensive team. It took 3 set-pieces to score our goals but they didn't offer much up front either. 1st game in the league up next hopefully we can keep this form going."

KV Kortrijk 1 : 1 Genk
Veselinovic, Ogunjimmi
View attachment 212490
"Dissapointing result in the first league game. Team seemed fatigued after their mid-week exports. Could become a problem as i intend to try my hardest in Europe."

Shamrock Rovers 2(3) : 2(5) Genk
Murray, Humphries, Barda, Murray(og)

View attachment 212488
"We went and got a result. Played a weaker team and they got the job done. Dinamo up next to try and qualify for the group stages."

Genk 2 : 1 OH Leuven
Barda, Tozsér, Annys

View attachment 212498
"First league win! We controlled the game from start to finish but conceded to yet another corner and its starting to become a problem. Barda scoring another goal, he's starting to hit some form lets just hope it continues."

Cercle Brugge 2 : 4 Genk
Eenoo, Portier, Ogunjimi, Lorentzen, Barda(2)

View attachment 212499
"Ok performance but at least we got the points. Barda bagging 2 late goals to keep his good form up. A first goal for the club from summer signing Lorentzen was another plus. Dissapointing to concede more goals as the defence looks to be shaky."

Dinamo 2 : 3 Genk
Joneleit, Leko, Barda, Lorentzen, Robinson

View attachment 212501
"What a game! We traveled to Zagreb hoping for some sort of result to take back home, we got 3 away goals and a lead. It sets us up perfectly to qualify now and get that well needed cash boost."

Genk 3 : 1 AA Gent
Benteke(2), Sarr, Coulibaly

View attachment 212502
"Strong performance by an increasingly confident Genk team. 2 goals from a up and coming young striker called Benteke. He impressed lately and showed what he was capable of with some well taken goals. The sending off before half time left them short up front and they never really threatened afterwards."

Genk 1(4) : 0(2) Dinamo
Vossen

View attachment 212500
"Another good performance against a good Dinamo side in a very important game. We have no qualified for the group stages and get a very welcome £6.17 million pound bonus for getting in to the group stages."

Genk 3 : 0 Beerschot AC
Barda(2), Ogunjimi

View attachment 212516
"Another accomplished performance and yet more goals for Barda. A sending of for young Robinson was the only blemish on a good showing from my side."

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE DRAW
As I awaited the draw I was hoping for an easy group. I knew there was no such thing as an easy group in the Champions League but I hoped. As the draw was coming to the 4th seeds there were some truly fearsome groups, some I really wanted to avoid. When my team was drawn I almost cried. I couldn't have picked a harder group. Bayern Munich, Manchester City, OM and Genk. I didn't stand a chance. I was hoping to have a group that I could finish 3rd and get into the Europa League but I knew I was up against it.
View attachment 212518

September

View attachment 212658

Anderlecht 0 : 2 Genk
Sanogo(2)

View attachment 212651
"Record signing Sanogo bagging 2 goals on his senior debut. Couldn't have asked for much more from the lads, we managed to keep a skillful Anderlecht squad to long shots for the majority of the game. Its now on to a difficult away match against OM."

OM 0 : 1 Genk
Vossen

View attachment 212646
"What a game! Told the boys to go out and play without a care in the world and that is exactly what they did. A really early goal allowed us to sit back on the counter attack and we were unlucky not to score more. We rode our luck a little and had a huge let of when Remy blazed over from 12 yards. We then regained composure and held the out till the end. A great result that gives us a chance to get 3rd in the group."

Genk 5 : 3 KV Mechelen
Vossen(2), LuaLua, Lorentzen, Barda, Vandenbergh, Biset, Gorius

View attachment 212649
"A poor performance defensive against a team that shouldn't have threatened after they received an early red card. They scored all 3 from corners which is a problem that i still haven't sorted but need to quickly. Despite this the forwards are in great form with Vossen following up his mid-week strike with another double."

Lierse 2 : 2 Genk
Lentz(og), Kovacs, Sanogo, LuaLua

View attachment 212647
"A very frustrating performance. Went 2 down early on because of really slack defense! This was a wake up call and after the second goal went in they didn't have a kick. We showed fight to get the scores back to all square but we had the chances to win just failed to take them."

Genk 3 : 0 Westerlo
Barda, Vossen, Sanogo

View attachment 212648
"A good performance to put the last performance behind us. Goals for all 3 strikers and more from wonderkid Sanogo showing just what he can do even at his young age. A well need clean sheet for the defense who have been poor lately."

Genk 0 : 0 FC Bayern

View attachment 212650
"What a point! Nobody gave us a chance but we showed were no pushovers. Great defensive performance again but the result came at a price! The effort took its toll on the players and we will be without our Star Player Barda for a few weeks after he picked up a knock."

Monthly Summary
Another good month, especially in the Champions League and we are sitting joint top of the group :O . Dropped some points in the league but we are within touching distance of the top so its not a worry. Defensively we are quite weak and concede a lot of goals from corners which is a worry but the great work from the forwards cancels that out. Sanogo is in fine form and has bagged 4 goals in 6 games, he is quickly becoming a fan favorite. We have a few injuries and one to key player Barda but he should be back soon and will help us try to push for the top of the league.

Enjoy this so far, 4 points from two games in the champions league is a great start.

Nice title as well ;)

I'm 100% on board the Genk bus here!

What a great side to pick, and some great results! Don't Genk have Kevin De Brunye? Is he back from injury yet?