2 Hours Gaming = Line of Cocaine

• Thread starter Thread starter TheHig
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 2K

TheHig

Reaction score
So says UK therapist Steve Pope.

http://gamepolitics.com/2010/05/24/uk-therapist-two-hours-gaming-equals-line-cocaine

A few quotes from the article for people who CBA reading it all

“Young addicts are skipping meals, playing truant from school and are even stealing money from their parents to buy the latest games.”

This sums up the current state of game addiction in the UK's county of Lancashire, at least according to an article on the website of the Lancashire Evening Post.

Written with a sense of urgency that was perhaps designed to cast a chilling effect on the reader (but will instead provoke laughs or a disgusted shake of the head from most), the piece centers on the trials of a 15-year old gamer named Jack, who “discarded his friends, neglected his school studies and survived on junk food as he embarked on marathon gaming sessions of up to 48 hours.”

A few quotes from “Jack”:
Playing on my games console was all I wanted to do and it was the first thing I thought of as soon as I woke up. I would play for hours on end without even realizing.

It was like it was a demon that had got inside my brain and I just couldn’t stop. If my parents tried to stop me playing, I would just flip.
An area mom recounted the tale of buying a Call of Duty game for her son and likened it to buying him his first shot of whiskey.

A local counselor (and therapist) named Steve Pope was asked, or offered, his opinions on videogame addiction. He began by stating:
Spending two hours on a game station is equivalent to taking a line of cocaine in the high it produces.
Pope also serves as a sports psychologist for the local football (soccer) team Fleetwood Town and claims that team officials, “…ban their players from using any form of console for at least 24 hours before a game.”

Such a ban is needed, according to Pope, because, “Many footballers are playing on hand-held consoles and computer games before a game and this is resulting in a natural high which is causing a chemical imbalance which is leading to them not performing their best on the pitch.”

Pope continued, “The poisoned chalice is being handed down through the generations.”

Thanks (we think) John!

hhhmmm, very strange article, i dont think its that bad, there are always exceptions to the rule, its not the end of the world that "Jack" thought he was possessed....

I used to play video games for up to 12 hours a day and I never changed as a person, never had bad eating habits and always put my friends first, my family I can't stand but meh, life isn't perfect. On the whole, research like this is very hard to get right because certain people react differently to certain things, "Jack" seems like somebody who has problems, other people can sit on their **** all day glued to a tv screen and have no side effects. Just sayin

I used to play video games for up to 12 hours a day and I never changed as a person, never had bad eating habits and always put my friends first, my family I can't stand but meh, life isn't perfect. On the whole, research like this is very hard to get right because certain people react differently to certain things, "Jack" seems like somebody who has problems, other people can sit on their **** all day glued to a tv screen and have no side effects. Just sayin
yeah i know, nothing changes much for "Normal" people, "Jack" seems problematic and clearly has issues

on a personal note:
how old are you mate? parents always seem like the dogs balls when you between 14-17 or so :D

No more than the whole mobile phones give you brain cancer theory which has been recently proven 100% false.

i know, such a bunch of ****, my gf always tells me to turn off my phone at night as it will give me brain cancer, even though i like it on in case of some emergency or something! at least now i can have it on, muhuwahahhaha (6)

your spot on there, basically jack has issues, in any case its never normally the product, its the user which is the problem,

Sigh, I think Jamie hit the nail on the coffin here. You are always going to have one or two individuals who take things 'too far' wither it be with games,drink,drugs,***?,eating,reading...you get my drift.

Was a LOL read though.

Back