SimboGlory

Reaction score
Hi

I have spent hours and hour researching all the tactics for FM17,and below is a summary of what I have found if anyone wants guidance on what may work and what may not (I appreciate you may have a different experience with these tactics, this is just based on my experiences)

A bit of background. My friend and I have a network game, he is Newcastle and I am Villa. In the first season I used the FM16 version date442 tactics by chickenwing as it was so good for me in FM16. I finished 2nd in the league and won the FA cup. So it worked! My friend used his own tactics and won the league, but he had the Newcastle team so it was likely to happen.

2nd season – I finished 3rd and won FA cup and Euro cup – he finished mid table
3rd season – 4th and League cup – he finished mid table

I wanted a challenge so looked for a tactic for him to use, I found the new version of the date442 –

I sent this to him to hopefully improve his team, what happened next was the best transformation I have ever seen on FM. He was 16th at January and went on an unbeaten run to finish 4th and knock me out of the top 4.

He has since dominated the league with this tactic, winning the prem 3 times in a row, the FA cup every season, the league cup every season, and 2 champs league semi finals and 1 final. He blows everyone away, its incredible. I have seen him destroy teams like Bayern 7-0 away. (By the way he lests assistant do training and OI’s)

I went looking for a new tactic to match him, and so began all my research. (I didn’t want to use the same tactic as him as I thought its boring both being the same).

I have tried all of Zyndars tactics and none have worked for me. I cant break into the top 4 with them. I have tried all of Knapps tactics, again with little success. I cant get a level of consistency like my friend can.

I have tried some obscure ones from Korea and the tactics from around the worlds forums. Nothing worked.

I am now using a 523 formation attached and am finally having success. I have sold my wingers and bought players to suit this tactic and so far so good as I sit around 4th. Its nowhere near what my friend is achieving but it’s a start (ive been outside top 4 for so long now I cant compete with him in the transfer market). And my wing backs are poor. I lost my left wing back for 9 months and his replacement is a right footed midfielder. So once January starts I hope to improve these positions and kick on.

And way, I have attached these 2 tactics. Try them. Give them at least 10 games. And if you want to know any advice on any other tactics, just ask, as I think I have tried a LOT!

cheers

Last edited:
The 523 tactic you mention here is also the one I'm having the most success with. Very good tactic.

The 523 tactic you mention here is also the one I'm having the most success with. Very good tactic.

That’s good to hear! Do you do anything special with training etc? (I leave it to assistant) and I have no OI’s set. The only problem I find is I cant hold a lead away from home. I draw a lot of games away after winning most of the game. It might just be because my wing backs are not good and I need to improve the team in the next transfer window! Be interesting to hear if you have the same problem.

I thank you for sharing your experience. Even so can't understand the huge success your mate had with this year version of date! Being a fan of his last year tactic (that I considered one of the best, I even started its own thread, as it was in the tactics from around the world thread) I tried it a lot, in several scenarios and I simply can't make it work!

Last edited:
I thank you for sharing your experience. Even so can't understand the huge success your mate had with this year version of date! Being a fan of his last year tactic (that I considered one of the best, I even started its own thread, has it was in the tactics from around the world thread) I tried it a lot, in several scenarios and I simply can't make it work!

Same mate, after a few seasons I tried his tactic and it didn't work for me. He never loses, its almost unrealistic! He has spent a lot on incredible wingers and I think they are the key.

So what tactic did he use in your games exactly?

Cavour ROAD

So what tactic did he use in your games exactly?

The date442! 2017 tactic that is attached to the post (he lets assistant do training and opposition instructions)

I am having a lot of success with the 532 tactic attached as well now. I am 3rd in the league at Christmas after losing 3 in a row at the start of the season with a different tactic

Hi mate, I'm a big fan of date 442 too. I have tried the 2017 version and I think it is quite good but it has a weakness in defending attack from wide. Though if you have very good right backs and wide midfielders they could overcome the weakness and I guess that is why your friend has been doing very well since he has bought incredible wide midfielders.

Hi

I have spent hours and hour researching all the tactics for FM17,and below is a summary of what I have found if anyone wants guidance on what may work and what may not (I appreciate you may have a different experience with these tactics, this is just based on my experiences)

A bit of background. My friend and I have a network game, he is Newcastle and I am Villa. In the first season I used the FM16 version date442 tactics by chickenwing as it was so good for me in FM16. I finished 2nd in the league and won the FA cup. So it worked! My friend used his own tactics and won the league, but he had the Newcastle team so it was likely to happen.

2nd season – I finished 3rd and won FA cup and Euro cup – he finished mid table
3rd season – 4th and League cup – he finished mid table

I wanted a challenge so looked for a tactic for him to use, I found the new version of the date442 –

I sent this to him to hopefully improve his team, what happened next was the best transformation I have ever seen on FM. He was 16th at January and went on an unbeaten run to finish 4th and knock me out of the top 4.

He has since dominated the league with this tactic, winning the prem 3 times in a row, the FA cup every season, the league cup every season, and 2 champs league semi finals and 1 final. He blows everyone away, its incredible. I have seen him destroy teams like Bayern 7-0 away. (By the way he lests assistant do training and OI’s)

I went looking for a new tactic to match him, and so began all my research. (I didn’t want to use the same tactic as him as I thought its boring both being the same).

I have tried all of Zyndars tactics and none have worked for me. I cant break into the top 4 with them. I have tried all of Knapps tactics, again with little success. I cant get a level of consistency like my friend can.

I have tried some obscure ones from Korea and the tactics from around the worlds forums. Nothing worked.

I am now using a 523 formation attached and am finally having success. I have sold my wingers and bought players to suit this tactic and so far so good as I sit around 4th. Its nowhere near what my friend is achieving but it’s a start (ive been outside top 4 for so long now I cant compete with him in the transfer market). And my wing backs are poor. I lost my left wing back for 9 months and his replacement is a right footed midfielder. So once January starts I hope to improve these positions and kick on.

And way, I have attached these 2 tactics. Try them. Give them at least 10 games. And if you want to know any advice on any other tactics, just ask, as I think I have tried a LOT!

cheers

Update - now using first 3512 - brilliant tactic and flying with great results. Still cant catch my friend but Im not far away now. Ive just added OI's (closing down all strikers and showing wingers and full backs to weaker foot) and it seems to have improved it even further. Give it a whirl! (Its 2nd on Mr Ls tactic test league)