20-30 Shots not scoring

Smiffy887

Reaction score
I am having 20-30 shots a game 8-10 on target and not scoring anyone have any advice????

Show your tactic and how you envisioned it functioning when you chose what you did.

This is the tactics board. The point is to find tactical solutions. Sometimes lots of shots with no goals is bad luck, but more often, it's the result of the types of shots your players are taking and where/how they created chances, which is dictated by tactics. I've had plenty of games where I outshoot my opponent 25-2 or something like that and only win 1-0 or 2-0, but I'm willing to tolerate it because I'm just trying to keep the ball and keep the opponent's defense packed in. For me, it's a feature, not a bug, but it's definitely a result of my tactical choices.

Anyway, let us see your tactic(s) and instructions, OP. There's probably a good explanation for why this is happening.

Shots are not all equal. Even ones that are "on target" can be poor shots in certain ways. You need to watch and analyze, not just look at a match total.

Bad shots and long shots can happen for a few reasons....

The Players: players can have PPMs or attributes that contribute to it. It really shouldn't be surprising if a player with poor Decisions consistently makes poor decisions in the final third.

Lack of Space: this is probably most common. Especially if you use a tactic that presses your side up in attack and compresses opposition space. There isn't a lot of space in or around the opposition box. Meaning you mean creativity or movement to create it. If you don't create space, you get players taking shots from distance or from low-percentage angles. Contested shots, which have a narrow shooting angle, are typically low percentage because the defenders have effectively cut down the places the ball can be put and the goalkeeper has a better chance of a save. Looking at analysis, that might look like a great opportunity because the player was in a good spot and had a shot, but the defensive positioning reduced the chances of it being a goal significantly.

Lack of Options: if players don't have adequate support, they may just take shots because what else can they do? It can be a lack of available options, meaning a parked bus is effectively blocking passing lanes. And sometimes it can just be the player being on attack duty so they aren't looking to bring others in - they are going for goal, like they are being asked.

Shots and conversion rates DEFINITELY are a tactical issue. You can't necessarily solve everything, but there are absolutely was to adjust things.

WJ that dont have nothing with tactic setup, most of us have that with all tactic on this board.

Simple shots going near posts, way to many long shots.
I score 1 goal for every 10 shots and I'm not even preventing long shots from being taken. So if I have a match where my team takes 20-30 shots, I'd score 2 or 3. Since this is the place for tactics discussion, we'd obviously need to know what is being done, tactically speaking.