25 Man Squad Rule Article

• Thread starter Thread starter Jake
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 5K

Jake

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Heres an article by Ian Dennis, BBC Radio 5 Live's Senior Football Reporter. The original can be found here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8530590.stm

Just thought it would be a good read for those interested about its affects on football in real life, and also for the affect its going to have on Football Manager.

A Premier League play-off to settle the fourth and final Champions League spot was mooted last week and attracted various responses - negative and positive.
While that particular proposal continues to be debated, there will be definitely one change to the way the top flight operates next season - and it should have a major impact.
From the start of the 2010/11 campaign, all 20 clubs will have to adhere to new squad regulations.

They dictate that each club will have to select their 18 names on a team sheet from a pre-nominated squad of 25. In that list of 25, eight must be "home-grown".
The Premier League's definition of "home-grown" is a player who, while under the age of 21, spent three years in the English system.
In addition, clubs will be able to select an unlimited number of under-21 players they have registered. The changes will not only benefit youth development but, crucially, will also force some clubs to sign several English players when the transfer window opens in the summer.

"We want to try to create the best opportunity for young developed talent to have a chance of playing in the first team and we think this will give more opportunities for academy graduates to do that," stated Mike Foster, general secretary of the Premier League.

"Clubs invest a lot of money in youth development. I think at the last calculation the average spent was about £3m per annum per club in the Premier League."

In the long term, the league believes the changes will also have a positive effect on the England national team and provide a financial benefit to those clubs operating with a limited squad size.

Foster said the clubs have been very receptive to the changes.

"Clubs are great believers in youth development," he added. "You can see that when you go up and down the country and see the great facilities and commitment that is taking place."

Foster explained that the policy was first debated last summer by all the clubs.

"We spent a day looking at youth development and ways of enhancing what already takes place," commented Foster.

"The clubs agreed in principle to this type of measure. We fine-tuned it and brought it back to the clubs in September, when they approved the new rule unanimously."

Foster confirmed the league is happy with the outcome.

"There's been a lot of noise from Fifa for the past several months for a quota system, which we've objected to because it's illegal under European law," he added.

"That pressure hasn't necessarily gone away but we wanted to focus our energies on something that would fall within the legal framework of the EU as well as encourage our successful academies."

For some clubs, these new regulations will mean a radical change in approach.
Research has shown that on the penultimate day of last season, top clubs such as Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool were among a of group of seven who did not have eight home-grown players on their team sheet.

In fact, analysis shows that Rafael Benitez's side were the worst offenders in the Premier League last season for producing home-grown talent.
Admittedly, it was not the final list but towards the end of last season Liverpool had used only 17% of their home-grown players in 2008/2009.

Relegated Middlesbrough, with Dave Parnaby at the helm of their successful academy, were top of the class with 69%, while Aston Villa and West Ham United were on 67%.
Champions Manchester United were at 42%, with Chelsea 28% and Arsenal 37%.
Arsenal, under Arsene Wenger, have been criticised in the past for not producing English talent but eight of the starting line-up that beat Liverpool in the second leg of the FA Youth Cup last season were English.

When you consider that particular crop of youngsters has been heralded as Wenger's best yet, then maybe Arsenal do not need to worry about these regulations coming into force.
Others may have a bit more work to do before August.

THE RULES

- Clubs must include eight home-grown players out of a squad of 25.
- A home-grown player is a player who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season which he turns 21)
- Changes to the squad list of 25 may be made during the period of a transfer window.
- Clubs will be able to supplement their squads with unlimited additional players under the age of 21.
- An under-21 player refers to a player under the age of 21 as at 1 January in the year in which the season concerned commences.

Last edited:
I think it puts the focus more on purchasing youngsters at 16/17 and then feeding them through your youth teams and reserve teams into the first team. Which I don't think is the intended purpose of the plan if those youngsters are coming from abroad at that age, sadly. Not sure it will achieve what it obviously hopes to do :(

They really should investigate whether the rules about youngsters are being followed properly for the under-16s. Certainly stuff like paying the parents to relocate closer to the 'purchasing' club so that they fall within the club's 'area' is becoming so common place it's making a mockery of the spirit behind the youth rules.

I think it puts the focus more on purchasing youngsters at 16/17 and then feeding them through your youth teams and reserve teams into the first team. Which I don't think is the intended purpose of the plan if those youngsters are coming from abroad at that age, sadly. Not sure it will achieve what it obviously hopes to do :(

They really should investigate whether the rules about youngsters are being followed properly for the under-16s. Certainly stuff like paying the parents to relocate closer to the 'purchasing' club so that they fall within the club's 'area' is becoming so common place it's making a mockery of the spirit behind the youth rules.

i agree, no doubt teams will jsut look to buy the best foreigners younger and younger, to ensure they become home grown. The only way to stop it is to introduce this rule in conjunction with an international transfer ban until the age of 18, or maybe even older.....

the only team i can see it having a short term affect on, in terms of purchasing a few 'home grown' players who are of first team standard is Arsenal. But then again players like Fabreags (if he stays) are classed as home grown...

i agree, no doubt teams will jsut look to buy the best foreigners younger and younger, to ensure they become home grown. The only way to stop it is to introduce this rule in conjunction with an international transfer ban until the age of 18, or maybe even older.....

the only team i can see it having a short term affect on, in terms of purchasing a few 'home grown' players who are of first team standard is Arsenal. But then again players like Fabreags (if he stays) are classed as home grown...

Arsenal won't have a problem, lots of their young players have been developed in England for 3 years.

It will be teams such as Portsmouth who will struggle with the rules. Though unlikely to apply to them if it is just a Premier League Directive.

I think the rule sounds good in practice.

But it isn't really going to benefit England in the long run, as in a few years clubs will have players classes as home grown from all over the world.

Then you have the stupid 90 minute rule. What means a youngster cannot sign for a club if he is out of the 90 min travel time, meaning that at times the best players cannot get the best training. Unless his parents up root themselves too, there was talk of boarding schools being built by the Premier League to bypass this rule. So clubs could allocate players there whilst keeping track on their progress regulary.

I am very sceptical about this idea, I don’t see how it will benefit youth players if they are only in the squad because of the rules and not because of there talent.

Also is 25 really a large enough squad? I would like to know the size of most Premier League club’s at the moment. With European games, league cup, fa cup and then add replay’s, fatigue will kick in for the bigger clubs like Man Utd,Liverpool and Chelsea etc

i can see it decreasing the importance/popualrity of the FA Cup as the bigger clubs will field even weaker teams (especially during the early rounds) to keep their senior players fresh for the league and europe

i think it is an okay idea. whats wrong with a few youngsters playing in Cup competitions early rounds. helps there development, also if a major injury crisis hits a club. youth players will get more involved.

I am very sceptical about this idea, I don’t see how it will benefit youth players if they are only in the squad because of the rules and not because of there talent.

Also is 25 really a large enough squad? I would like to know the size of most Premier League club’s at the moment. With European games, league cup, fa cup and then add replay’s, fatigue will kick in for the bigger clubs like Man Utd,Liverpool and Chelsea etc

The squad isn't limited to 25. You can play unlimited U21's as mentioned in the first post.

So if you take Man Utd's squad as an example, they would not have to leave out any players as they do not have 25 players aged 22 or above.

I think the rule sounds good in practice.

But it isn't really going to benefit England in the long run, as in a few years clubs will have players classes as home grown from all over the world.

Then you have the stupid 90 minute rule. What means a youngster cannot sign for a club if he is out of the 90 min travel time, meaning that at times the best players cannot get the best training. Unless his parents up root themselves too, there was talk of boarding schools being built by the Premier League to bypass this rule. So clubs could allocate players there whilst keeping track on their progress regulary.
i agree the 90 minute ridiulous. so united couldnt sign someone form london, but could get someone from spain?! good work FA. Just to think, if it had been introduced earlier, we never would have got David Beckham

The squad isn't limited to 25. You can play unlimited U21's as mentioned in the first post.

So if you take Man Utd's squad as an example, they would not have to leave out any players as they do not have 25 players aged 22 or above.

Cheers, Clearly did not read through it properly. Still even at that i bring back my previous post of clubs playing youth players because they have to rather than through merit or ability.

Would you be happy as a Burnley fan with this rule, Providing you survive 8-|

Great idea this will prove who really is a great english side.

well out of the big 4 I think United probably have the most english/british players

I see a future with many 'English' Players in the English team and it all starts with Almunia

it sounds complicated

I'm just struggling on which players in the clubs would be home-grown

No, it all started with Hargreaves.
Not really they are different cases, almunia is in no way english while hargeaves has english parents but was born in canada.:S

And Hargreaves is hardly unique in this, patrice evra was born in senegal but plays for france.:S

Back