3-4-3 Recreation Hungary Nation team 1950's.

• Thread starter Thread starter maxy67
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 12K

maxy67

Reaction score
BEING UPDATED

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2012-tactics-training/86239-history-tactics-links-tactics-included.html

This 3-3-4 formation- is a recreation of the great Hungarian team of the 1950’s who destroyed England 6-3 at Wembley.
I seem to get 60%+ possession in a lot of games.

Heres an article that I found about this great Team:

The Hungarian football team of the 1950's ushered in a new era of technically adroit attacking football. They dominated the international scene for almost six years.
The Hungarian football team of the 1950’s redefined the sport of soccer, revolutionising the way the game was approached and breaking records by the bucket load. Between June 1950 and the Hungarian Revolution in 1956 the Magnificent Magyars compiled a competitive record of forty-two wins, seven draws and only one defeat. The tragedy is that the defeat came in the final of the 1954 World Cup
Puskas Led a Team of Stars

Rarely has a single national side been blessed with as many truly world class players inhabiting a single era. Yet Hungary during the 1950’s could call upon the services of a plethora of international stars. The incomparable Puskas arguably the greatest goalscorer in the history of the modern game, with 84 goals in 85 games, captained the team.
His strike partner was the equally predatory Sandor Kocsis, a forward whose 75 international goals were plundered in only 68 matches. Completing the triumvirate of attacking geniuses was the deep-lying centre forward Nandor Hidekuti (39 goals in 69 games), the last man to score a hat trick against England at Wembley, way back in 1953.

However I looked at the records of their matches and I saw that they let in WAY to many goals for my liking, 10 goals before their only defeat against Germany in the World Cup of 1954. So my recreation of them, will make it a little more defensively stable as shown in my description of the roles.

Limited Defender (DC) Stopper- Marking, Tackling, Determination, Positioning, Jumping and Strength, Aggression and Bravery
Heading, Marking, Passing, Tackling, Technique, Composure, Concentration, Creativity, Decisions, Determination, Positioning, Jumping and Strength

Ball-Playing Defender (DC) COVER- Heading, Marking, Passing, Tackling, Technique, Composure, Concentration, Creativity, Decisions, Determination, Positioning, Jumping and Strength, Anticipation, Acceleration and Pace

Ball-Playing Defender (DC) Defend- Heading, Marking, Passing, Tackling, Technique, Composure, Concentration, Creativity, Decisions, Determination, Positioning, Jumping and Strength

Deep-Lying Playmaker support (MC)- Passing, Tackling, Technique, Composure, Creativity, Decisions, Positioning, Team Work and Strength. First Touch and Off the Ball for a Support duty

Ball-Winning Midfielder defend (MC)- Marking, Tackling, Aggression, Bravery, Determination, Positioning, Team Work, Work Rate, Stamina and Strength

Trequartista (AMC)- Finishing, First Touch, Passing, Technique, Anticipation, Composure, Creativity, Flair, Off the Ball, Agility

Defensive Winger attack (AML/AMR)- Crossing, Dribbling, Marking, Tackling, Technique, Decisions, Team Work, Work Rate, Pace and Stamina

Poacher (STC)- Dribbling, Finishing, First Touch, Anticipation, Composure, Off The Ball, Acceleration, Agility, Balance and Pace

Complete Forward attack (STC)- Dribbling, Finishing, First Touch, Heading, Long Shots, Passing, Technique, Anticipation, Composure, Creativity, Decisions, Determination, Off The Ball, Team Work, Acceleration, Agility, Balance, Jumping, Pace and Strength

GIVE THE TACTIC TIME!- To get good levels of possession and good CCC's, then the team has to be comfortable with the tactic.

Make the pitch narrow, to keep the ball more.
And don’t use opposition instructions- I didn’t.

I haven't tested the tactic too much, but have had great results so far- so any testers would be great!

I do not think this will work well with smaller teams because the tactics very fluid, and to understand a fluid tactic your team has to be intelligent and good players so do not try this with dreadful teams in lower leagues please.

Any questions would be great.

View attachment 206809View attachment 206810View attachment 206811View attachment 206812View attachment 206813

Last edited:
Looks interesting. Gonna try it then I'll give you some feedback.

gonna give it a whirl since 2 of my fullbacks are injured and the other two are suspended

I tried it with Juventus. I was amazing during pre season. But I played the 3 first games of the serie A and it was only draws. The team didn't play the same way. But I have to consider that Krasic and Pepe had injuries so it kinda had an impact.

could you give some feedback if you try this? that would be nice. I'll still try this again when I have more time.

love the idea - got good results vs lower league teams ... but I love 3-4-3 Bielsa style ...

Bielsa’s Chile the most tactically-exciting side | Zonal Marking
chilek.jpg

I've tried to tweak this tactic to one depicted above, but how on earth to set nilmar and vidal style positions in fm2012?

Yet it worked ... at least for Chilie and Universidat de Chilie ... and now partly for Bilbao ... (you can't score a goal)...

I've tweaked you tactic to be similar to Bielsa set to thrive in Bilbao | Zonal Marking
yet I think I always do the trick I've learned while playing (spying for Bilbao tactic) with Malaga...

in FM2012 Bielsa starts with 3-4-3 similar to listed below (only 3 in the box - which is nonsense because requires additional instruction for each striker ... etc) ... once they score he changes to 5-2-3 (still 3 in the middle in attack) with his 2 "wide midfielders" dropping back as fullbacks.

I've did something similar ... for Everton (tested with Malaga and Bilbao :) )

yet to loose (but I'm close to loose in every game... :)) making right changes and dropping back wide midfielders helps... Since I've starting all the games with "no 1-st transfer window" option ... I'm playing with the same squad I've received from FM2012... only tip - sign James McFadden ... I drop him from IF to DW with original DW (Baines) dropped to defense... the problem is ... I'm yet to tweak the defensive tactic (see bilbao link - with 4 defenders and anchorman) ... and it is very slow to be fluid in all areas (I've played 18 games (6 friendlies) but it is still not fluid)

the other problem is in mentality, I've tried control and counter with mixed fortunes - resulted in the goal in the end of the game 2 times ...

Last edited:
Well I'm in 2-nd season with Everton ... I'm down to 3 tactics right now ...

1st PLB-d (play like bielsa) - the most effective with anchor man and Target Man (download link)

2nd PLB - with Poacher / BBM and AP (download link)

3-rd PLB-chilie see post above or Brazil 3-0 Chile: Dunga prevails over Bielsa in the tactical contest of the tournament | Zonal Marking
with CF and Poacher and IF (literally Llorente,Muniain and Toquero) (download link)

Please note ...
* I really don't care about getting good (or great results) I do LOOSE to Arsenal at home or away (usually 1-0) regardless of tactic used (usually the one with an anchor man)
* I love to see action figures of a real 3-4-3 (see Chile one as a good example)
* I tweak it before every game - see the Hibbert role (DWR) - I can use
DW (support) - Hibbert
or WM (support) - Colemann
* I do not tweak the central 2 midfielders ever
* make sure everyone in the line-out is at least 95% fit
* get it to fluid with very high team-work, and ... attacking movement or defend set-peaces (used it once for a month or so, after I've conceded 8 goals from corners in 5 games)
* the game if called "Football Manager" and not "add tactic and get good results" ... so make changes in defense 3 or in attack 3
* I've circled the most important role and features of the tactics...

In summary ... I've tested it on 3 teams
Everton - low budget - great players for 3-4-3 formation;
Bilbao - you can't buy any non-basque players - and get in youth development; Bielsa uses 3-4-3 sometimes, and you've got 4 good players for wide positions;
Malaga - just for fun ... although - not that fun in the end ... I've won 3 La Ligas in 4 seasons and got fired (and was replaced by "the special one").

I still think about 4-1-2-3 as a back-up plan
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee512/zonal_marking/bilbao1.jpg

Have fun

Back