3-4-3 Viable?

• Thread starter Thread starter mentalm
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 6K

mentalm

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am just wondering if it is actually possible to get a working 3-4-3 or 3-1-3-3 to work in FM?

As a long time player I have tested many things through the years. Narrow 4-3-1-2 or Wide 4-2-3-1, even narrow 4-1-2-1-2 works wonders for me. Actually most tactics with 4 defenders is possible to function.

Lately I have been trying to get a working 3-4-3 formation to work. 3 Centerbacks, 2 midfielders(one could play as a defensive midfielder) and two wider midfielders(usually playing as defensive wings with high workrate) and 3 strikers up ahead. Even tried dragging two of the strikers back to play like Napoli does in Serie A.

No matter what I tweak I simply cannot keep the goal clean, always letting 2 or 3 into my own net. Whats worse is the fact that I cant even manage to get the team to create a clear chance at all. Hardly any shots at goals, only thing you would see from a highlighted game when I try to play the 3-4-3 is the opposition countering in a goal or three.

The formation would like something like this:

Goalkeeper - Sweeper - Defensive
CB - Stopper - Defensive
CB - Cover - Defensive
CB - Stopper - Defensive
DM - Anchorman - Defensive
MR - Defensive Wing - Support/Attack
MC - Deeplying Playmaker - Support
ML - Defensive Wing - Support/Attack
SCR - Deeplying Forward - Attack
SC - Poacher - Attack
SCL - Advanced Forward/TargetMan - Attack

Always end up with no chances and letting my opposition score several.

Anyone in here who can provide me with a discussion around getting a 3-4-3 to work in FM? I cannot find any threads regarding 3-4-3 only the regular 4-1-2-3/4-2-3-1/4-3-2-1/4-3-3...

Hello everyone.

I am just wondering if it is actually possible to get a working 3-4-3 or 3-1-3-3 to work in FM?

As a long time player I have tested many things through the years. Narrow 4-3-1-2 or Wide 4-2-3-1, even narrow 4-1-2-1-2 works wonders for me. Actually most tactics with 4 defenders is possible to function.

Lately I have been trying to get a working 3-4-3 formation to work. 3 Centerbacks, 2 midfielders(one could play as a defensive midfielder) and two wider midfielders(usually playing as defensive wings with high workrate) and 3 strikers up ahead. Even tried dragging two of the strikers back to play like Napoli does in Serie A.

No matter what I tweak I simply cannot keep the goal clean, always letting 2 or 3 into my own net. Whats worse is the fact that I cant even manage to get the team to create a clear chance at all. Hardly any shots at goals, only thing you would see from a highlighted game when I try to play the 3-4-3 is the opposition countering in a goal or three.

The formation would like something like this:

Goalkeeper - Sweeper - Defensive
CB - Stopper - Defensive
CB - Cover - Defensive
CB - Stopper - Defensive
DM - Anchorman - Defensive
MR - Defensive Wing - Support/Attack
MC - Deeplying Playmaker - Support
ML - Defensive Wing - Support/Attack
SCR - Deeplying Forward - Attack
SC - Poacher - Attack
SCL - Advanced Forward/TargetMan - Attack

Always end up with no chances and letting my opposition score several.

Anyone in here who can provide me with a discussion around getting a 3-4-3 to work in FM? I cannot find any threads regarding 3-4-3 only the regular 4-1-2-3/4-2-3-1/4-3-2-1/4-3-3...

im currently working on something similar with inter, but with an ACM

View attachment 327699

Thank you for some input.

Been testing the one you gives me Bitcho, but I seem to have the same problem with the wingers as in my own. They either only do offensive duties, or defensive. Not both. I want them to run up and down the flanks all the time not just one of the two. Seems like it concedes too much because of lack of defensive on the wingers here...

Sorry for not providing too much feedback Stuey, but that is a 3-5-2 not the 3-4-3 I am looking for :)

Thank you for some input.

Been testing the one you gives me Bitcho, but I seem to have the same problem with the wingers as in my own. They either only do offensive duties, or defensive. Not both. I want them to run up and down the flanks all the time not just one of the two. Seems like it concedes too much because of lack of defensive on the wingers here...

Sorry for not providing too much feedback Stuey, but that is a 3-5-2 not the 3-4-3 I am looking for :)

Sounds like you're asking your wingers to play as wingbacks, and trying to force square pegs into round holes. If you play an attacking winger in a defensive role you can expect him to struggle with the defensive duties. Would it not be more functional to play attacking wingbacks?

I had exactly the same problem as you when trying to recreate Juve's 3-5-2 (I know you want 3-4-3 but this still applies), I had no problems scoring goals but was leaking them from crosses all the times. Anyway I found the solution was to set both of the oppositions widest players to be tightly marked in opposition instructions before each match.

I also set one of my wide players to dw (support) and another to a normal winger so I didn't invite too much pressure by being to defensive but I dont think that was as effective as the solution above. Heres the View attachment 327858 I mentioned in case you want to take a look and good luck :)

I played a 3-4-3/3-4-2-1 with Napoli and won everything in my first season. I had CF s upfront with 2 IF a in the amc.

One thing I would say is get your ml and mr to man mark the oppositions wide players. Works fantastically and will cut out alot of those stupid goals.

fuelledbypassion: Not really, a defensive winger should both have defensive and offensive duties. If you look at Napoli in reallife their wide midfielders cover every inch of the pitch. My problem is that they are not doing the defensive when opponent have possession, or neglect the offensive when I have the possesion.

jordy: Thank you will test around with that a bit.

Rods: Same to you, never used opposition instruction alot but will test it out =)

fuelledbypassion: Not really, a defensive winger should both have defensive and offensive duties. If you look at Napoli in reallife their wide midfielders cover every inch of the pitch. My problem is that they are not doing the defensive when opponent have possession, or neglect the offensive when I have the possesion.

jordy: Thank you will test around with that a bit.

Rods: Same to you, never used opposition instruction alot but will test it out =)

Try setting there mentality to attacking, creative freedom to little, run from deep to rarely, run with ball often

Back