3-5-2_MOMOX * * * Won CL, EL and PL within first 3 seasons with Newcastle

Toonrock

Reaction score
3-5-2_MOMOX * * * 5 consecutive PL-titles with Newcastle, plus Famous Treble!

16 TROPHIES WITH NEWCASTLE UNITED IN 7 SEASONS !

FINISHED OFF WITH THE FAMOUS TREBLE (FIRST TIME EVER I TRY THAT) :)

* * *​

CLASS OF 2024 THAT WON THE FAMOUS TREBLE
View attachment 54991

The philosophy behind my tactic comes from what I personally reckon to be one of the best ways of successfully approaching the game of football.
It´s how I would want my team to play if I was manager of a real-life club
icon_smile.gif

In addition, it´s always a priority of mine to play a tactic that actually could exist IRL-football (And not the exploits, like strikerless and 3-FW-tactics).

The tactical principle in my 3-5-2 is simple:

Movement into open space is the most important thing in football, imo.
That is; Movement - And a solid foundation at the back.

The term ´MOMOX´ is short for the three words MONITOR
MOVEMENT EXECUTE.

1st Phase:

MONITOR – How does the opposition line up? Do they have a high or low defensive line? Do their backs get forward much or stay back?

In order to determine this, I always have the oppositions formation to be seen, so I can monitor my co-managers operativeness.

Two key factors are important to regulate doing the match; It´s the Match Mentality and my Defensive Line.

As the screenshot shows, Southampton approaches the game with quite a low defensive line and a lonely striker up front, defensive mentality.

-> Therefore, in this case I will choose a Sligthly Higher/Higher Defensive Line, and a Standard/Control-Match Mentality (In order not to get caught on potential counter attacks).

My higher defensive line is justified by the fact, that I have a solid back-three to secure stability if the opposition attempts to counter attack. Furthermore, the defensive midfielder (DLP) makes out an extra shield to protect the back-three.

-> Had I played against a strong opponent, which played with a high defensive line and full-backs coming forward, I would use a Normal/Slightly Deeper Defensive Line, and a Counter-Match Mentality.

One has to adjust as you go along, to find out which Match Mentalities and Defensive Line-settings are suitable; I primarily use (in Match Mentalities) Normal
, Counter, (Control - quite rarely though) and Attack - And then it´s simply to analyze how the oppositions Defensive Line and Mentality are played out and adjust from there.

Occasionally (naturally) your team will have an off-day (or a general dip in form), where it doesn´t seem to work - But that´s football
icon_smile.gif

2nd Phase:

MOVEMENT – The two strikers and two CMs play a central role here. Their main task is to seek and exploit the space in the opponents final third.

The two strikers tracking backwards as well as outwards to receive a pass – and the two CMs moving into channels and going forward – makes out a dynamic four point order for operating and establishing in the opponents final third, and for the rest of the team to move forward.

In the screenshot, my CF (Pellegri) has tracked back to find space in which to receive a pass. My two CMs (Bakayoko and Merino) have found space themselves in the final third, so they are playable.

This example results in my left-back eventually receiving the ball, and delivering a beautiful cross into the box, where Pellegri has come from deep (which is extremely hard to defend against for an opposing defender) and with power and anticipation he meets the ball with a header for a goal.

3rd Phase:

EXECUTE – Get the ball in the back of the net!
icon_smile.gif

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

TASK AND ATTRIBUTES FOR EACH PLAYER POSITION

Ball Playing Defender (Cover)

-> Has the task of supplying deep cover for the back-three, as well as being a ´relief valve´-backwards passing option when needed.

-> Preferable attributes: Acceleration, Pace, Anticipation and Marking (all 14+).

Ball Playing Defenders (Defend)

-> Apart from the obvious defensive responsibilities, they offer width and a ´relief valve´-backwards passing option aswell; Often this “invites“ the oppositon to linger forward, creating space in the midfield and opp. final third.

-> Preferable attributes: Acceleration, Pace, Strength and Marking (all 14+).

Wing-Backs (Attack)

-> Has to be a carrier for width, defensive as well as offensive tasks.

-> Wing-backs are set with the instruction of ´Sit Narrower´ which gives more passing options in the engine room of the midfield, as well as being dangerous in the final third and getting forward to goal scoring chances.

-> Always train the Wing-backs to ´Mark Opponent Tighter´ and ´Run with ball down Left/Right´ - In addition, they have ´Close Down Much Less´ for instructions, making them less woundable to oppositions playing with overlapping backs and wingers.

-> Preferable attributes: Acceleration (14+), Pace (14+), Crossing (12+) and Tackling (12+).

Deep-Lying Playmaker (Support)

-> Although somewhat modelled to the role of an Andrea Pirlo, the main task of this defensive midfielder is to have the right attributes to add protection for the back-three.
The role is automatically accostumed to good movement and being a focal point for ball distribution - but when choosing the player, some steel in terms of mentality and ability is required.

-> Preferable attributes: Anticipation, Positioning, Tackling and Marking (all 14+).

Central Midfielders (Attack)

-> As mentioned earlier, the two players primary task is to move into space to become available for passes. In addition, they represent a real goal thread coming from deep into the box.

-> Training (if able to choose) it´s ideal to learn the CMs ´Move Into Channels´, although naturally, this PPM is already picked in the individual player instructions.

-> Preferable attributes: Anticipation (12+), Off The Ball (14+), Positioning (12+) and Vision (12+).

Trequartista & Complete Forward (Support)

-> The ´mirror twins´ of the duo in midfield, the two strikers have the job to move wide/back in order to make themselves playable. Of course the main goal scores on the team, but they have to be able to set their teammates up as well.

-> It´s quite important that the players fit in proper extent to the player roles (T-at & CF-su), but most strikers have the ability to play there or can be trained to do so.
Some players are better on the right or left side, there´s not much else to do than find out as you go along. I won the CL in 2020 with Moussa Dembélé on the left, and Michy Batshuayi on the right (see last photo in this thread).

-> There are two things, I start training my strikers before all other PPMs; And that is 1st ´Move Into Channels´ and 2nd ´Comes Deep To Get Ball´.

-> Preferable attributes: Acceleration, Pace, Off The Ball and Finishing (all 14+).

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

MY ROAD TO THE EL-TROPHY, IN MY ONLY 2ND SEASON (WHICH I WAS REALLY PROUD OF)

THE CL-FINAL (AGAINST REAL MADRID) IN 2020

Last edited:
uhm i dont think this has formatted how you wanted and theres no screenshots and required stuff needed, hopefully it'll get fixed

uhm i dont think this has formatted how you wanted and theres no screenshots and required stuff needed, hopefully it'll get fixed

Yeah it sucks:( - But in the proces now of getting it to work

There also is no downloadlink? Looking forward to try it out

There is a limit on the amount of pictures you can post at once as a new user. You'll have to update in stages.

There is a limit on the amount of pictures you can post at once as a new user. You'll have to update in stages.

Okay - I must be patient then :) So I can upload URL ones a day or?

Okay - I must be patient then :) So I can upload URL ones a day or?

I thinks its limited to those under 25 posts (i think) not sure. Just edit the text correct with the basic formations. You can always use post #3 for questions and feedback replies (just edit it, i'll delete post #2 so its under the OP.

Thought i'd start a new save and try this with my beloved Millwall.

I didn't make any changes to the squad other than a couple of bods to make up the numbers. I like to operate with 2 players for every position on the pitch. Media prediction is 23rd normally. Ended up finishing 4th and losing out narrowly in the play-offs.

View attachment 57068
View attachment 57067
View attachment 57066

Results were a mixed bag, hindered by injuries and suspensions.

I really like this tactic, although not the most successful I have used, and it also fits in Genie scout which is another bonus.

George Saville ended up with the highest avg. rating in the league with 7.39 playing as the left-sided CM and Aiden O'Brien highest assists (18) playing as the Treq.

Can't help but feel with the right person looking at this and a couple of tweaks it would perform even better.

Thanks for sharing Toonrock

Last edited:
Results were a mixed bag, hindered by injuries and suspensions.

I really like this tactic, although not the most successful I have used, and it also fits in Genie scout which is another bonus.

George Saville ended up with the highest avg. rating in the league with 7.39 playing as the left-sided CM and Aiden O'Brien highest assists (18) playing as the Treq.

Can't help but feel with the right person looking at this and a couple of tweaks it would perform even better.

Thanks for sharing Toonrock

Thanks, nice to know you liked it :) ..Reg. the mixed results, it can´t be stressed enough how important the ´1st Phase - Monitor´ is. - Learning to use it ideally could come as you go along and results may improve.

Thanks for feedback :)

Last edited:
In addition to this thread, it´s worth mentioning that it´s quite important not to have too big a squad.

-> Ideally, I always go along with 19 (Max. 20) players : Make sure to rest them regulary : And train them in different areas, shifting ones a month.

I loan players if I wish to have some to back-up the first team.

Just seems best way of getting the players to become better imo, having a smaller squad.

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]*** LAST UPDATED 7/5-2018 - With the ending result of my Newcastle United career ***[/FONT]

do you have a home and away version please?

This is it!;) - I always go along as I´ve described in the guidelines, it´s a learning curve really:)

- But for example, away from home oppositions tend to want to come forward and secure a result; Then (again depending on their defensive line and mentality), I would often use counter mentality and perhaps a normal/sl. deeper/or sl. higher def. line.

Much is also intuition, and the progress of the game as you go along (Who is making the chances? - If it´s you, you probably are doing something right - Is it the opposition, try tweaking a little).

Last edited:
maybe i will do a version for home and away ... i don t know.

but thanks