3 at the back

• Thread starter Thread starter hallo1983
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 7K

hallo1983

Reaction score
Is it possible to come up with a tactic that enables you to play 3 central defenders and not get hammered all the time? ive tried for years to come up with a method but to no avail!
if anyone can help with this please let me know!

many thanks in advance
halol1983

you will need to use wingbacks or at least defensive wingers as well I think or you won't be able to stop wingers crossing the ball or making easy runs behind your centre backs

Agree with the above. The best way is to use Wingbacks as the formation you use is the one the team use in defence( then runs from deep, wide play,mentality and ppms decided your attacking formation.

If you just start out with à simple rigid standard approach and set Balanced roles ( between support, defence , attack) and make up à plan as how to deal with the opposition wingers, then it works. It might be that you have to let your Wingbacks manmark the AMRL when facing strong opponents or even middleteams with really Quick wingers if they play direct balls into channels.

One thing that is not possible though is to replicate how your DCs spreads wider in defence

The 3 man defence works best against two strikers, Universidad De Chile manager Jorge Sampaoli has a rule to always have an extra man over the opposition attackers, so 3 defenders to 2 attackers, 2 to 1, 4 to 3 etc. This is good because you can have your players man marking the strikers apart from one defender (who should be the central one) who can sweep up loose balls that don't find any attackers. Make sure this player is the one with the best anticipation and passing, put him on ball-playing defender - cover.

I did an article for the blog 90minutesup on Italy at the Euros and I talked about their defence, it's worth a read because it also talks about them struggling when the opposition attacked predominantly from the wings.

90 Minutes Up: Overview of Italy at Euro 2012

Using tactical terriers theory I'd use wing-backs or defensive wingers with two CBs on stopper duty and one on cover so you mark up the opponents attack and have the covering CB as backup.

I used 3 at the back for my first 2 seasons got promoted to prem and then finished 12th... had 2 stoppers and 1 bpd 2 wingbacks set to support 2 midfielders 1 bwm 1 bbm with an ap slightly ahead then 2 forwards, 1 poacher and 1 tm (I think).

I still have it as one of my tactics as its about the only way I can compete with that stupid 4231 *****.

Exactly what I use actually! (defensive wingers)

One thing with this though is that I'd recommend using a really defensive-minded midfielder who drops deep to the CDM slot because there can be quite a lot of space in between the lines, or you could use Italy's formation and use a DLP in defensive midfield.

Is it possible to come up with a tactic that enables you to play 3 central defenders and not get hammered all the time? ive tried for years to come up with a method but to no avail!
if anyone can help with this please let me know!

many thanks in advance
halol1983

I've just made another article purely on the 3 man defence, you might want to take a look as it covers the weak-points and it's advantages with real life examples! Football Tactics From A Terrier!: Analysis of the 3 Man Defence

I'm actually making a tactic with a 3 man defence, 2 CBs 1 sweeper. When testing I found having attacking wing backs are better than defensive right and left midfielders. I have a player instruction for a WB which makes a lot of tackles and interceptions but also get involved with the attacks a lot, creating chances, keeping possession and even getting in the opposition box to get on the end of some clear cut chances. My tactic mainly based on Brazil's 2002 world cup (though I'm not directly trying to emulate them). 2 normal central midfielders, though 1 I've made slightly box to box, an attacking midfielder as Ronaldinho was, 2 strikers, 1 of which are more creative as Rivaldo was and Ronaldo for the other, the best striker ever. It's not really a counter attacking tactic though. It keeps possession well, 55-65% against most teams and creates chances to score.

I just need to perfect my STCL player instruction but the rest of the tactic works. Currently testing it with Real Madrid, in the past 10 games I've only conceded in 1 match, 2 goals vs Athletic, in those 10 games I've played vs Bayern twice and didn't concede. So 9 clean sheets means it works defensively and I've scored 30 goals so it's averaging 3 goals a game. A bit off topic but I'll make it available on this forum once I've sorted out those little issues.

Back