3 Man Defense

SebastianRO

Reaction score
Hello all, I want some help from you today. I am a "manager" that likes to inovate at every team I control in game, so I picked up Manchester City (for the first time since FM 09) and I came up with a 3-3-2-2 system. It works overall, but I am a little unhappy about the 3 man defense. Don't get me wrong, it works okay, but not what I really want. I've never used such a system before and I concluded that I need some help from you. Take a look at my system and tell me what roles/duties shot my 3 CB's have.

As a general rule of thumb, 2 man marking and the center one covering, with the 2 wide CB's with same mentality level and the centre CB two ticks less, but the information provided is not enough to draw a conclusion. Also, watch full matches so you can have an idea of what's happening with their behaviour. To make them move as unit, you have to be aware they cannot be too many "ticks" apart, be it at mentality or closing down level. Try to keep the same number of ticks(mentality and closing down) for both wide CB's and a few ticks less for centre CB. Try it and you will see a big difference, but keep in mind, in my humble opinion of course, that you need cover for the wide areas

Have you tried dropping a mid to defensive mid and putting his closing down to high? When I play wing backs in a 4-1-2-1-2 my defensive mid will often drop into the wide positions to cover for the attacking backs. With no support on the width defensively and no midfield help, I don't know if you'll ever have a highly effective defense.

Barcelona used a 3-4-3 with a narrow diamond mid, not too far off from your idea, but they used a defensive mid to help win the ball back from opposition. Maybe a heavy control game, and a defensive mid will help you eliminate your opponents' chances.

Back