4-1-2-1-2 Attacking - Inspired by Manchester City

• Thread starter Thread starter JoeySamSam
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 6K
Hey everyone this is my first post on this site let alone posting a tactic so please bare with me if I forget something.​
:D

Introduction:

I had great success on last year's game with a wide 4-5-1 tiki-taka which I've tried and failed to recreate a number of times this year. So, I decided to try something different and came up with this more narrow and more direct approach which has worked really well for me on a couple of saves (Udinese, Southampton) however I am yet to complete a full season with the tactic as there are a few things I am not 100% happy with. I am posting this to ask if anyone would be generous enough to try out my tactic and post some feedback or pointers to help me improve it, and if it works well I will update it and then post a complete version.​

Idea:
Like I mentioned, I came up with this as a more narrow and direct tactic because I felt that the roles on the wings aren't as effective this year compared to previous years, whereas there are some very effective roles and players to occupy them through the middle. Also, the patient passing game hasn't been working for me this year as I think the game can defend it too easily. Now, this tactic is not based on, but is inspired by Man City's incredible attacking, direct football they have been playing this year and I think they are so good to watch because there is no nonsensical sideways passing; they just win the ball and get it forward quickly to their strikers and attacking midfield players, who are constantly making forward runs that the midfielders often find, hence scoring lots of goals. I have kept this concept in my mind as I made this as I think it is the most exciting football to watch, even though it pains me to say, being a United fan!​

Formation:
It is a 4-1-2-1-2 which I like because it has the standard four at the back, and then 4 in central midfield so that it is easier to not give the ball away and have options to pass to, and play balls forward through the middle to the two strikers who are making forward runs or dropping slightly deeper to open up space for the other forward, or the AMC or supporting midfielder.​

Roles:

-GK is a​
sweeper keeper defend
so that he can sweep up and collect most long balls or balls over the top.
-The centre backs are both​
central defender defend
which is standard for the CB's so that they both tackle, head and mark equally.
-Full backs are​
complete wing back attack
so that they provide the width to the narrow formation which can be very helpful, and they either cross or play through balls to the forwards.
-Defensive midfielder is​
half back defend
to make up for the attacking full backs as he basically acts as a third CB slightly higher up so that he can mark attacking mids and recycle possession.
-MCL is a​
ball winning mid support
who can win the ball back high up the pitch and also play balls forward and make forward runs to support the attack.
-MCR is​
deep lying playmaker support
who holds his position in the middle of the pitch mainly and plays through balls to the forwards and spreads play into space.
-Attacking midfielder is​
advanced playmaker support
so that he starts slightly deep to spray passes forward, but he does sometimes run forward like a third striker if space has opened up by the other two forwards occupying the opposing defenders.
-Right striker is​
false
nine support
who drops deep to make space for other players as well as running forward when the other striker or wing backs are on the ball.
-Finally an​
advanced forward attack
who leads the line by making loads of forward runs for the midfielders to play balls into, as well as playing in his striker partner.​

Player and Team Instructions:
I will not go into details of all their player instructions as you can see them for yourself. The defenders and goalie and dm have short passing so they don't needlessly give away the ball in a potentially dangerous area. All the other players have risky passes and direct passes on so that they are attack minded and look to get the ball forward quickly and efficiently into space.

The team instructions are so that we get the ball into dangerous positions in space with as many CCC's as possible, and players are making runs through the middle, with the wing backs getting up to support by overlapping. There is a high tempo and creative allowance so that the team aren't as easy to defend, and the players aren't playing non-threatening passes ala Tom Cleverley and Joe Allen.​
:P

The philosophy is attack and fluid so that all the players make tackles and defend, etc, as well as attack.​

Other:
As already mentioned I haven't completed a season with this tactic due to being busy with college and other stuff as well as wanting (please) other people to try this and give me some feedback as it will help improve the overall tactic, and improve my abilities at making tactics for the future and FM playing​
:)
Plus I think it is better for other people to make their own minds up about stuff through experience rather than having me preach about how amazing results have been with my tactic. If anyone really wants screenshots I will post them though. (if I figure out how, doesn't seem to be working atm)

As for training and OI's etc, just do whatever you feel your team needs and what you usually do as I'm sure everyone has their own views on training depending on the team, league and players they have.

I can't help but feel I've forgotten something​
:P
but anyway I'll stop there as I've probably written too much already. You can interpret this tactic how you like, but if anyone wants to try it and help me with improvements it would be very much appreciated.​
:D
Thank you.​

Back