Reaction score
Hey All

After 3 fairly average seasons with my Newcastle team, finishing 6th and 7th most seasons, I kept tweaking and tweaking and finally seem to have cracked it! Managed to finish 2nd last season and win the Europa Cup, Liverpool just dominating on my save.

Due to Newcastle not having a huge reputation 90% of the transfer were transfer listed players and in fact I've made a profit every transfer window so one could argue this has been tested on an 'average' team.

Update - Keep the DLF set to Attack.
Update - Set to cautious when playing bigger teams away from home

View attachment 31128

No OI's and I leave training to my assistant.

The whole point of this tactic to peg back the opposition and essentially camp outside their box. I would recommend that both your IF's and DLP have some pace. I initially bough Martial (for 12M) as an IF but he's been devastating as the DLF scoring 19 goals in 15 games.

It's rare that you're going to completely demolish teams with a 5-0/6-0 score (although it happens) the whole point of this tactic is that it's incredible flexible in terms of facing both larger and smaller teams. Most results will be one or two nil.

Last Season:
View attachment 31127

Fixtures

View attachment 31126

Transfer

View attachment 31125View attachment 31124

Player Traits

CBs - As this formation doesn't hold an extremely high line, pace isn't super important here. So focus on bringing big, old fashioned cb's that can also pass. My cb's contributed over 10 goals from set pieces last season.

Wing Backs - Acceleration, Passing, Crossing. Everything else is secondary. The wing backs are so pivotal to the attack that if they can't be in possession comfortably the attack will usually break down with them.

DLP - Once again pace isn't super important with this role. A player that can tackle and has good passing and vision is important as most counter attacks come through him

VOL - Not many players that can play this role. Mobility is very important here. My VOL banged in 13 goals last season (finishing stat of just 10) as he usually arrives late in the box to finish off a phase of play where you're camped outside their 18 yards.

CM - Arguably the most pivotal player in the team. A big strong a typical box to box player is what you want. Power, pace, stamina, and big is what you want. My CM scored 16 goals last year, mainly from corner, but having a presence there adds a lot to your attacks

IF - The usual that you look for an supporting Inside Forward. Mainly there to provide assists rather than score, although a lot of their goals come from headers.

DLP - This is an odd one. The a typical DLP's haven't performed well for me. You want someone with the stats of an Advanced Forward (with a bit of strength). Martial has performed wonders for me, much to my surprise.

Let me know how you get on with it.

View attachment 31123

Last edited:
I am going to give this a go with Cardiff.

I have struggled to find anything that works with them so fingers crossed - I will report back.....

Any particular position to take corners etc?

Perfect let me know how it goes!

I usually have Wilson take them (IF) as he's got a great delivery, in matches he's not playing i usually have my left back take them

View attachment 31122

I had a really good start winning 3 on the bounce, but beaten soundly by Arsenal at home - constant balls over the top. Any suggestion for against the bigger teams, I was thinking of dropping mentality to cautious.

I am going to start a new save to give the tactic a full pre-season. I will keep you updated.

Against the bigger teams, you can opt for a more cautious approach and see where it gets you. I did do that last season when my team was a bit weaker

I have a lot of pace up front and most of time i suck the opposition in and hit them on the counter. I know this isn't true for most teams. Also bear in mind, it will take you team time to mould into the tactic and for the cohesion to be their between players. My exp with FM 19 thus far is you need to invest in a team of players, the days of plug and play with Wimbledon and beating man city 6-0 seem to be gone

OK, new season.

Pre-season was iffy at best.

Premier League

Chelski 1 Cardiff 1
Cardiff 2 Man City 0

What a great start and some great football too.

amazing mate good to hear it's going well.

I've got a few new players and they're not doing great but after a few matches they start doing a lot better. You can see in your assistant's analysis that some players don't really play the way it's set out. Takes a few games for the team to gel and play the way they're supposed to but works after a while :)

I was Playing now a Few games with this Tactic, it`s going really well, a few game where i was think what is going on now, like 2 red cards in on game, but i still won it.

i think to many tackles but i like it, and will for now keep playing with this tactic

View attachment 30824

@Lilrob i'd suggest removing 'Get Stuck In" I think one of the updates affected this as i've had a lot of red cards as well.

But glad it's going well man!

Here's where I stand mid way through the 2022 season. tactic is solid. Top of the table. Only 3 defeats all season, 1 in Prem, in in Champs League (Away to Alt Madrid) and the Community Shield (penalties).

View attachment 30761

I'm in 2020 with Everton (took over at the beginning of August as Marco Silva took an international job). This is my first job in this particular career as I started unemployed with top reputation but no badges, and I didn't really fancy any of the offers I got before this.

Thought i'd give this tactic a go, as it fits quite well with the squad that I have. I'm 10 games into the season, and so far it's gone well for me, despite injuries to key players.

View attachment 30407

Most impressed with beating Man Utd 3-0 at Old Trafford. I dropped the mentality to Balanced for this. Every other game has been on Attacking.

As it stands, only Liverpool and us are unbeaten. I'll keep going with the tactic for the rest of the season, and report back.

View attachment 30406View attachment 30405View attachment 30404