davie1980

Reaction score
I'm a couple seasons in with hearts. doing ok.
i finish top half and fight for "best of the rest" but still a long way off challenging celtic. i'll qualify for the europa league without too much difficulty.
finances are tight and building a great team is extremely difficult.
i've tried a few formations and tried creating and tweeking my own tactics with moderate success.
but i can't seem to get into a good run with a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1. which is a problem as 2 of my best players are advanced playmakers who would be best suited to the hole behind the striker. to round up my squad.

i have 2 good goalkeepers. ones a good shot stopper, good all round keeper. the other one has great distribution and could play sweeper keeper. so either option is available to me.

central defenders are all rounders, solid defensively. all of them arereasonably good in the air, reasonably quick. i dont like having slow defenders or poor in the air, so i often comprimise and get guys who are fairly strong, if not exceptional in both attributes

full backs are fast but probably slightly better defensively than going forward. not wingbacks.

i have a few guys that can fill dm or cm roles. not deep lying playmakers. grafters, defensively sound and again fairly well rounded players. just not extremely technically gifted and passing is middle of the road

attacking midfielders. possibly my 2 strongest players are advanced playmakers. creative, technically gifted flair player. not fast or athletic, but the guys that i want to make things happen. this is why i'm looking for a formation that has them in the advanced role behind the frontman. i would be reluctant to deploy either in a deeper role. one is getting on in years and cant play every game and often doesn't last the full 90 minutes. the other is a young lad who will take his place. only one is likely to be on the park at one time.

i have a couple of options out wide. wingers who could play wide midfield in a flat midfield 4 or winger in the more advanced role. both fast, good driblers and crossers. i also have a couple of decent strikers/forwards who could play inside forward, but i'd rather the wingers as the strikers arent as good and not the quickest (they may get sold)

my 2 best options up front are best suited to being target men . neither particularly creative or technically brilliant though. strong, good in the air and decent finishers. one of them is reasonably quick. but i do not have a blisteringly fast striker.

i need a flat back four. i could play with central midfielders or defensive midfielders. (bwm, b2bm, dm or cm.) and have to have an advanced player. wingers or wide midfielders, but not wingbacks. i could consider an assymetrical midfield also.
and a sole target man to top it off.

i'm not overly fussed about style of play. i'd prefer lots of nice passing, possession and ccc's. but the main priority is getting results first and foremost, if that means sacrificing the pretty stuff so be it.
also i don't care if i have a tactic that conceeds goals as long as i'm scoring more. equally, i wouldn't mind if i struggled for goals as longs as i was still keeping it tight and getting the results.
my philosophy is very much as long as i'm scoring more than i conceed. even if its one goal. a wins a win.

i know the formations i can use, but it's probably the tactics, roles and individual player instructions where i'm going wrong.

if someone has a plug and play tactic that would suit these players and shape i'm all ears. otherwise, just some tips on how to set things up to get the best from these guys.

Last edited:
ps it has to ve a tactic for 13.3.3

i've had good results with mr langvatns tactics on other saves. but his best tactics either require wingbacks or i can't play my attacking midfielder as i want. and i've used ovros 3-6-1 which need a sweeper that i dont have, wingbacks that i dont have and still doesn't accomodate my attacking midfielder
which is why i tried mucking with my tactics by myself on this save. but after 2 frustratingly mediocre seasons i'm ready to let someone else do tge hard work :D

Last edited: