Reaction score
Morning,
I'm attempting to create a 4231 formation with my Leeds United save, i've been promoted winning the league with a 4-3-3 formation. Although its worked OK for me i just want to try and experiment with as many formations until i find the most suitable.

The Philosophy

The idea of the tactic is simple...Create CCC's and don't concede them! I would like to do this by ticking some other boxes as its what i like to see in "real life" football.

1. Everyone is comfortable with the ball
2. Team works hard and covers distance.
3. Fullbacks get forward
4. Center backs are ultimately defenders.
5. A combination of a "dog/destroyer" in midfield with a creative player.
6. A number 10!
7. An all around striker who brings others into the game and stretches the defense.

I would also like the set up to be transferable to different formations, so that i can counter opposition threats and exploit their weaknesses!Whilst keeping the same philosophy!

Ive also worked on some team instructions so that i can switch between "possession" , "counter", "defend" and "attack".

The Tactic

View attachment 214324

4-2-3-1

Its set up to be a fluid / controlling tactic .

Team Instructions -
View attachment 214323

Ive tried to keep this simple as i want to change these as the game changes.

With the ball -

I want the trio behind the forward to be my main creative force in the team by supplying assists and goals. I want the ball to be worked into the box to create "CCC's" and not just shoot from distance. The DLF should also bring the trio into play more (i think)

The fullbacks are set to "get forward" so they will hopefully support the wingers and give options, however im worried that they will get in each others way.

Without the ball -

I want the front four to press and win the ball back early if they can, then the two central midfielders to act as a shield in front of the back four. The FB support role should mean they get back into shape and create a solid back four. If i play the wingers as support and ask them to close down im hoping that they will stop crosses from coming into the box.

Problems

Lack of attack in the foramtion (only one attack role)
CM pairing - which would suit best
Set plays - very little goals from them
Im only creating 1-2 CCC per game, with around 2-3 1/2 chances
Im conceding as many chances as im creating.

Last edited:
I'm currently using 4-2-3-1 but counter/fluid. My FB are set to auto, my midfield pair are a BBM and BWM both Support. I then have a IF ( A), AM(S) and W(S).

Doesn't get many goals but has so far been solid at the back