animos

Reaction score
I am play 4-4-2 with 2 inside forwards and my midfielders are set to advance midfielder(support) and deep-lying playmaker (support). I am on wondering if you have any advice to make this formation better ?

you need to give much more information on what the problem is. give us screenshots etc

the problem i have is that i struggle against 4-5-1 and i dont want to change my formation to counter this i also play attacking football with short passes. I even struggled against lower teams that play 4-5-1.

the simple fact it that its likely you have to change formation. the triangle is out passing you in midfield, at the least get rooney to mark the DMC, looking at the results it look like you were hit on the counter a lot, try switching to control

also get your fullback to specific mark the AML and AMR

what formation would you recommend to counter this ?

i'd play 4-2-3-1 if i had a powerful amc like gourcuff, if not i'd play 4-5-1 as well

You could move the two wingers back a slot so the midfields compact, i mean the team your putting out is very good, so its not the squad lol, also if you watch the game, put commands in like hassle opponents, and get stuck in.........change attacking to standard, keeps the team balanced, if you knick a goal switch to counter, and if your in trouble go to attacking, change carricks deep lying playermaker (support) to (defend)

Play 4-5-1 on away games, match up in the middle have a deep lying playmaker(carrick) on defend or ball winning on defend(hargreaves), a box to box (fletcher) and considering your united play park ji sung as an advanced playmaker, but sometimes you could have him as a box to box, and fletcher as a ball winning, but have the 2 wingers in that Attacking midfield slot on the wings, AMR and AML and Rooney up front on his own as the advanced foward i think, thats how i play against the big teams and succeed :) never play 4-4-2 away from home against a big side, leaves my midfield short

hope i helped :)

Last edited:
You could move the two wingers back a slot so the midfields compact, i mean the team your putting out is very good, so its not the squad lol, also if you watch the game, put commands in like hassle opponents, and get stuck in.........change attacking to standard, keeps the team balanced, if you knick a goal switch to counter, and if your in trouble go to attacking, change carricks deep lying playermaker (support) to (defend)

Play 4-5-1 on away games, match up in the middle have a deep lying playmaker(carrick) on defend or ball winning on defend(hargreaves), a box to box (fletcher) and considering your united play park ji sung as an advanced playmaker, but sometimes you could have him as a box to box, and fletcher as a ball winning, but have the 2 wingers in that Attacking midfield slot on the wings, AMR and AML and Rooney up front on his own as the advanced foward i think, thats how i play against the big teams and succeed :) never play 4-4-2 away from home against a big side, leaves my midfield short

hope i helped :)

would my inside forwards still be as effective playing as wingers ?

well from personal experience, id say they are, my wingers grab goals from open player frequently, play one winger and the other as a wide midfielder so he has the defensive responsibilities, give the winger more creative freedom to cause havok, but if you want them cutting inside, go to the advanced settings at tick it, look at the closing down aswell if you want them tracking back(well i think thats how it works lol)

well from personal experience, id say they are, my wingers grab goals from open player frequently, play one winger and the other as a wide midfielder so he has the defensive responsibilities, give the winger more creative freedom to cause havok, but if you want them cutting inside, go to the advanced settings at tick it, look at the closing down aswell if you want them tracking back(well i think thats how it works lol)

The Ultimate formation is 4-2-3-1, with wingers, if you have a strong amc like cassano or ozil play them as a advance play maker and if you have a good striker like adebayor use him as a poacher. the good thing with 4-2-3-1 is your all out attack but your still defensivley responsible altough on cm need to be defensive or play a dmc and 1 mc