rocheyb

Reaction score
My preferred tactic is called 4-5-1 Assymetric Saints and it looks like this:

View attachment 449353 View attachment 449352
View attachment 449344

What I like about this tactic is that you get one of everything: A defensive midfielder; a central midfielder; an attacking midfielder; a wide midfielder; a winger; a centre-forward. But by matching the individual players to their most appropriate roles for each position, and giving them the right individual instructions, you can get the team to morph into other formations during different phases of play.

When we attack, pressing high up the pitch with high tempo, Schneiderlin moves up alongside Wanyama, the full-backs come up and both wingers can get down the flanks. The Shadow Striker and the Deep Lying Forward will work together to ensure that one drops and one goes long when playing through the middle, but both will hit the front when the winger is raiding down the flank. So you can go from the original 4-5-1 to an attacking 4-2-3-1 and into 4-4-2 within a single attacking move. When we defend, the two central midfielders sit in front of the defence and the wingers drop deep to help the full backs. The Shadow Striker provides an outlet on the left and the Deep Lying Forward plays with his back to goal, holding the ball up near the centre circle while the rest of the midfield adopts a counter-attacking shape around him, the right winger in particular going further forward for a quick break, often into the channel to go directly for goal. When I get a two goal lead, I usually switch off the High Press / High Tempo team instructions and gradually make the team more solid and defensive throughout the course of the second half, as long as we aren't in danger of losing our lead.

I tweak the roles for each position/player going into every match, according to the player's qualities and the strengths or weaknesses of the opposition - an understanding which, at this point, is based on my knowledge of the real life players themselves rather than their FM avatars. But this, using the Team Selection and Instructions shown above, is the usual starting style for most matches where I fancy my chances of getting a result but don't want to be too open at the back:

Goalkeeper - Defend: Take quick throws / Pass it shorter (1)
Right Full-Back - Support: Pass it shorter / Close down more / Cross aim target man
Left Full-Back - Support: Pass it shorter / Close down more / Cross aim target man
Centre-Back - Defend: Pass it shorter / Close down more
Centre-Back - Defend: Pass it shorter / Close down more
Regista - Support: Close down more / More direct passes / Hold position
Ball Winning Midfielder - Support: Pass it shorter / Hold position / Shoot less often (2)
Left Winger - Attack: Pass it shorter / Cross from byline / Cross aim target man
Right Winger - Attack: More risky passes / Get further forward / Cross aim target man (3)
Shadow Striker - Attack: More direct passes / Move into channels / Dribble more (4)
Deep Lying Forward - Support: Pass it shorter / Move into channels (5)

(1) These are the magic instructions to make the keeper throw or roll the ball to one of your full-backs or a wide-open winger
(2) Often changes to a Box-to-Box Midfielder or Deep Lying Playmaker (Steven Davis or James Ward-Prowse) who are better at more direct passing
(3) More risky passes is for Adam Lallana only
(4) More direct passes and dribble more are for Gaston Ramirez only; Jay Rodriguez passes short and doesn't dribble
(5) The tactics explained in the in-game description of any given position are applied automatically, so the Deep Lying Forward will Hold up ball even though I haven't told him to.

EDIT NOTE: I also set opposition instructions for all midfielders and forwards (and wing-backs, if they have them). You have to click each player so you know which is their stronger/weaker foot:

Close down: Always
Tackle: Hard
Show Onto: (whichever is their weaker foot - or select "Weaker foot" for players who can use either)

Set the 2nd general set of instructions, too. This allows for when wingers switch flanks or when a like-for-like substitution is made. But when the opposition makes substitutions pause the game and check what impact it has made on your previous instructions. If they have changed formation, they may have attacking players going unchallenged and being allowed to play on their stronger feet. Keep an eye on those full-backs that you know like to attack, like Leighton Baines and Kyle Walker. Set instructions for them too, if you want - especially if you're defending a lead.

View attachment 449349

Jordan Henderson is a diving cheat! Two minutes into injury time and he throws himself under Jose Fonte for a penalty, which Gerrard duly despatched to rob me of an opening day point at Anfield. I'm still very bitter about that! Anyway, as you can see, with the exception of Hull City (when I switched to 4-2-3-1 with disastrous results), and allowing for the fact that Spurs won all of their opening 10 matches, we only lost to the teams you would expect even the modern Pochettino-fuelled Saints to lose to, with wins against Manchester City and most of the lesser rated teams, draws with Arsenal and Manchester United and victories in the return fixtures with Liverpool and Tottenham (who are now back to their reassuringly mediocre best). I'm also through to the Capital One Cup Final and, having beaten Walsall at the second attempt with a weakened team, face Chelsea in the FA Cup 4th Round.

Last edited:
I hope this link will work. I have an iMac but I believe the software is the same for PC as long as you can unzip the folder successfully:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3js3wc6buo1877/4-5-1 Assymetric Saints.zip

For matches against the top sides, I have started to tweak the team instructions. I switch the team's mentality to COUNTER and fluidity to RIGID and change their tactics as shown in the first attachment. I beat Arsenal 3-0 and Chelsea 2-0 on my way to a 6th place finish and qualification for the Europa League. It reads like a very defensive tactic, but because they couldn't get through us, we were constantly springing forward with fast counter attacks and getting crosses in from either side.

View attachment 447977 View attachment 447974 View attachment 447973 View attachment 447972

I put Steven Davis to Defensive Winger during the match, because that suits his particular set of skills, but if you have a fit, flying winger you can have him attack and aim crosses at the target man from the byline.

Last edited:
I'm now into Season Two. I have signed Fraser Forster in goal and strengthened my defence and defensive midfield departments. Six matches into the season, we are top of the table and the highest goalscorers (albeit that Everton have a game in hand):

View attachment 447222 View attachment 447221

Against Aston Villa, Cardiff and West Ham I began with the team's overall instructions set to CONTROL and BALANCED, with these touchline shouts:

View attachment 447220

When I got two goals up, I then switched to COUNTER and RIGID, and to the touchline shouts shown in my previous post. The opposition has to come forward to try to get back into the game so switching to that counter-attacking style squeezes the space in our half of the pitch and exploits the space in behind the opposition's defence. I'm also getting plenty of goals from set-pieces, which I make a point to have the team train on at least once a month.

Here are the details for the 4-0 win against Aston Villa:

View attachment 447219 View attachment 447218 View attachment 447217

Gaston Ramirez's first goal was due to a Villa defensive error, but the other two epitomised the advantages of the Shadow Striker running from deep into the left hand channel to shoot into the far corner. His second was a one-two on the edge of the area with Lambert to create the opening. The third was a high ball from midfield into his path, in a quick counter-attack.

Last edited:
Proof that these tactics are working - a clean sweep for September.

View attachment 447211

Player of the Month:
1st Rickie Lambert
2nd Gaston Ramirez
3rd Dejan Lovren

Young Player of the Month:
1st Luke Shaw

Goal of the Month:
1st Gaston Ramirez vs Cardiff (counter-attack leading to 25 yard lob over the keeper from inside left position)

Manager of the Month:
1st Me

View attachment 446902

Don't forget to manage your players' morale by using the Private Chat function to compliment good performances or criticise bad ones. Be guided by the player's match rating as to whether to speak calmly or assertively and when they have put several good or bad performances together in a row, discuss their form.