4-5-1 Attacking tactic problems.

• Thread starter Thread starter stefanp05
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 3K

stefanp05

Reaction score
Right so I've been trying to get this formation and style of play to work for a while and just had very little success long term. I'm looking for a possession style tactic which i can achieve but i'm trying to get it to be very clinical aswell to create a fair few chances, now i seem to get a great deal of possession but very little penetration.

Now i could use some advice as to which roles would work best for the midfield trio as well as the forward trio, maybe you see something wrong with my team instructions any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

It's hard to say because you haven't shown what players you're trying to use...

As for the problem with possession is that if you're playing a short passing (like you are), fairly slow tempo game (like you are), this allows the opposition to reorganise their defence in their own half while you're still pinging it around in the midfield. This results in you getting lots of possession but little penetration. I usually like to play a short passing game BUT I allow a few players to play a greater variety of passes. Most crucially I like to have my playmaker to play a variety of passes that gives him more creative freedom and ultimately pose more danger.

I also see you're having your playmaker as the DMC. This will also lead to decrease penetration as you're starting play quite deep, coupled with the style of short-passing, leisurely tempo football, means that it's going to take a lot more touches and passes to get to the striker thus allowing the opposition greater chance to force the error or simply pull all their men back into defending.

A way to fix this penetration would perhaps to allow one of your midfielders who is technically skilled to drive forward (come from deep, dribble), which allows for greater linking of the midfield to the forwards, as well as telling your striker to come deep more often.

I also see you've got your team crazy wide. This is great if you're playing a narrow team but can be a problem if you're playing a hard-working 5 man midfield. With your play stretched so wide, it's easier for this opposition to cut off your defence to attack supply once again blunting your potency.

I know it's very fashionable to play short-passing football but it ain't always good. It can be a extremely frustrating (from personal experience) watching your team trying to thread the football past opposition using 1-5-4 or worse 1-4-5 formations.

Greatly appreciate the reply very helpful and great insight into the short passing play i was trying to accomplish, i have changed my tactic somewhat since yesterday; changing the DLP to defensive DM then the two midfielders to an attacking AP and a CM support.

Would you recommend making it slightly more narrow to improve attacking potency or would the AP be the penetration and extra edge i need results have improved greatly i might add.

Also i was struggling for Away form and was hoping you could look at this tactic for aswell and help is greatly appreciated.

I'm glad that results have improved! Also keep a look out for the match performance stats as well.

Would you recommend making it slightly more narrow to improve attacking potency or would the AP be the penetration and extra edge i need results have improved greatly i might add.

I wouldn't make it more narrow. Personally I don't like narrow play. Especially when Chelsea has such great wingers, it's good to have the play wide (but not extremely wide) which allows them more space to do their magic and get the opposition all hot and bothered. Ideally you want to retain the AP penetration through the middle, and ALSO have penetration coming in from the wings. This will wreck havoc on most opposition and is a joy to watch when you get it right.

I haven't played FM13 but a lot of people have been having problems with Away matches. So it might not just be purely a tactic thing but a inherent game engine problem. Not that you shouldn't be winning most matches away but not be too discouraged if your team has an occasional shocker away.

I'm not sure about the actual stats but from my actual real world observations Chelsea seems like a very exciting team but don't seem to have too many hard-working players. This is a problem because if I was managing, I would want a really dynamic, hard-working midfield for away games to give me extra defensive capacity.

I don't think it will help setting your formation to such a narrow play away from home. This won't make your wingers (Inside Forwards) very effective. I would keep the width a bit above the middle. I would definitely bring the defensive line down to what you have done (maybe I would have set it to a bit above the middle of the slider) but unless you bought in new CD I don't think Chelsea has the fastest of defenders so maybe what you've done with the defensive line is good. I wouldn't be afraid to set the style to "Control" and the strategy to something more "Balanced".

Playing away from home I would play either 4-3-2-1 (against lower table opposition) or 4-1-2-1 (against quality opposition). To give you an idea of the roles in my 3 man midfield i would have 1 AP (in the middle of the 3), 1 CM (support role) and 1 CM (Ball winning midfielder). It is important that both the CM support and Ball winning midfielder have to be hard-working, high teamwork players who are really prepared to work to get the ball back and do their share of defending.

If I was playing with a DM, he would be in quite a defensive role. Mostly sticking back, sweeping the field hopefully before my defenders need to deal with it.

BTW what sort of problems are you having away from home? Conceding or not being able to score goals?
Don't overlook the importance of physically strong players in the midfield as well. I'm thinking Fellani types who can really bully other players and get the ball back for your team.

Back