4231 HELP! Can't Crack It!

• Thread starter Thread starter alluwo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 5K

alluwo

Reaction score
I'm managing Chelsea, playing a 4231 formation. I've been playing around with the team instructions and player roles but I'm barely scraping 1-1 draws with teams such as Watford and Villa. There's been a serious lack of goals! Could someone please give me some tips where I'm going wrong :(

I have the CM's playing as DLP and BBM
The wide midfielders are both set as Inside Forwards with the CAM set as AP.

Defensively I've got both fullbacks set to attack.

View attachment 201263View attachment 201264

It is very attacking with all those attack duties, for one thing, so you're vulnerable on the counter.

Secondly, it looks to be just a 'everyone swarm the box' tactic. You have no movement at all. The front 3 all make runs into the exact same space. No one is dropping to pull defenders and to link with the midfield. You're simply over-crowding the box and it's going to be nearly impossible to dig a way through.

How do you want to play? If you can explain what it is you want to do and how you want to score goals etc, maybe we can help you implement that. So basically, explain what you wanted to achieve with the tactic.

Have you seen this: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ics/350220-looking-tactical-help-advice.html? There are useful guides in there (created by others, of course) that can help with your ideas too.

Ideally I would like to use my two wide attacking midfielders (Hazard & Pedro) and my CAM (Oscar) as the play makers, breaking down the opp defenses, creating the chances for Costa up front.

Fabregas and Matic at CM I'd like to protect the defense and also play the killer balls through to the attackers.

I like an attacking style of play whilst remaining sensible and solid at the back.

I'll pick up on the points you made separately.

Firstly, expecting everyone to just supply Costa, is not a good idea. It can work, of course, but you'd need a plan B at least. What if Costa has an off day? What if he's marked out of the game? Etc.

How are you expecting the 3 to 'break them down'? Hazard and Pedro will sit on top of the fullbacks. Oscar will run with the ball from deep, looking to supply someone with through balls. So how are you breaking them down? You're relying on dribbling only, is that right?

You want the midfielders to protect the defence, but one of them is a box to box midfielder who'll venture very far forward.

Who is solid at the back? At best, you have 3 players back.

I had the same problem so I changed my 2 centre midfielders to dlp defend and centre midfield defend. Much more solid at the back

Back