scottmefc

Reaction score
Hi All

First off, need to state that this isn't a 'plug and play' tactic and I don't think anyone will have any great success with one.

I have been so frustrated with FM this year, I've been unable to win 'like I used to' and get instant success, just by buying the right players, exploiting the ME etc etc I've started multiple games this year with Everton, usually getting to season 3 before getting sacked, with my highest position being 6th and with no success in cups.

Until now.

It was November in my save and we were languishing in 16th, the tactic I was using was a variation of a tactic from FM11 with wingbacks - I was conceding a lot of goals and the team was unhappy.

I decided to change to a 4-2-3-1 formation, with a flat back four, Attacking and Fluid. I ended up winning the FA Cup and finished 4th!

GK

DR DCR DCL DL

BWM DLP

IF AP W

P

My DCR is 'cover' and my DCL is a 'stopper' - your DCR will need to be quick as well. Your fullbacks are fullbacks, no other instructions.

I set my GK distribute option to DL (in this case, Baines but choose your better full back)

The roles of AMC, AMR and AML can be interchangable. For example, I had an AMR who was better as an AP than a W, so I changed him to AP and my AMC to AM. Generally though, I like to play AML as a W and have them swap positions with my left footed AMR.

Your BWM should be strong, good tackler and a good passer with decent pace. It's useful for them to be good at heading as well, they can help up break direct long ball approaches as well.

I like to play with a DLP, but you can just as easily change this to CM.

Your striker needs to be quick and have good finishing - they will be a poacher and end up on the end of through balls.

If I go a goal down, I instantly change my approach to 'Overload' and hope to get a goal back; this tends to work, but be careful, it can also bite you in the **** and you could end up 2-0, especially against larger teams. However, I have used this approach against Man City and Chelsea, gone in 3-0 at half time and ended up winning 5-4; I left 'Overload' on until the final couple of minutes where I defended my lead. (I will upload the matches when I get in from work)

Shouts I use in games tend to be 'retain possession' (when my assistant states we are giving away possession). 'stand off' and 'drop deeper' as well as switching to 'counter' when I have gone a couple of goals up and the opposing team are chasing a goal.

Pre match prep is Team Cohesion on Very High and Def Set Pieces.

I'm sorry this isn't a quick win situation - but hopefully you can use it as a base. Remember to play to your players strengths, look at their roles.

I will upload the tactic and screencaps later as well so you can download.

Cheers