A Brand New Beginning: My First Journeyman Save

• Thread starter WeArePalace
  • Start date
  • Replies 3
  • Views 715
W

WeArePalace

Introduction
So recently I've been doing a Michael Carrick managerial story and unfortunately I'm just not enjoying it at all. I guess I've done a lot of Championship saves and there just a little routine now. I've decided to go for a fresh beginning and do a journeyman save, which I've never done before. Obviously I start the game unemployed with the minimal amount of managerial ability. I've gone through quite a few months and currently sit at the start of October without a job. I hope everyone can understand that I didn't enjoy my previous story. Even without a job, I'm enjoying this more already than the Michael Carrick story. Thanks and hope you enjoy this story!
Aims
In this Journeyman save, I can't set any major aims just yet. I'd like to have it as a time to explore various leagues which I haven't before, I've included a lot of them in the game, hoping to eventually get to a decent job at the top level. One thing is, I probably don't want to join England for a while as I'd like to play in other nations.

TAKING OVER AT BRAY
View attachment 15464
I've progressed to the 17th of October 2018 and finally found myself a job. Considering my lack of attributes, landing a job in the top division in Ireland is pretty good in my opinion. Although, with 3 games left, the club has been confirmed relegated after an atrocious season where they are yet to win. They have set numerous records as a result for most game without a win in the league and surely it is one of the worst performances by a team ever. I'll be thrown straight into the action with a game 2 days away from my appointment as manager. This leaves me with little time to introduce myself to the team or implement any tactics or do any training.
View attachment 15463
Here's how I fare up. Little reputation or ability at the moment but hoping to get this club at least a win before moving on! Fearful already I might get sacked early on as the squad looks quite poor!
View attachment 15461
So there is how poor this team is doing. Absolutely ridiculous how bad this side have been despite being the worst side in the division, no wins is still really poor. Hoping that they'll be able to do well for me in the division below as they'd be one of the stronger teams there.
View attachment 15460
While the team is poor, there are a few decent players at the club and Dylan Barnett is certainly one of those! Already decent at just 21 and with bags of potential, will be with me for quite some time (until I go I expect).
View attachment 15459
Our two best players both go by the name of Dylan, and Dylan McGlade is probably the best one at the club. He has 5 star potential and hopefully he can fulfill that before other clubs come calling for his services.
View attachment 15458
Sean Heaney is our final key player in the team. Another 5 star potential player, this time at CB. Him and Hugh Douglas (out for 6-8 months injured) should form a strong partnership at the club. Although not sure if I'll be here in time for Douglas to make his return.
View attachment 15457
Heading straight into the game against Waterford, I'll be trying this tactic for a bit. It is ambitious but it's more in preparation for the 2nd tier next season, if it works now though I'll be more than pleased.

FINISHING OFF THE LEAGUE ON A HIGH
With 3 games remaining, getting this club a first win may be even too ambitious, but for now it's my aim. We face 5th placed Waterford, then 4th placed Shamrock Rovers and lastly 4th placed Cork. So it's that selection of teams in the similar area, not against any of the brilliant teams but not the poor teams either. Although, Shamrock are underperforming from expectations to finish in 2nd. Hopefully we can put in some decent performances so I can at least see how this team can play.

SSE AIRTRICITY LEAGUE - Matchday 34 - Waterford - Lost 2-0
View attachment 15451
Our campaign begins with a defeat but we didn't actually play too badly. Once they'd scored early in the 2nd half they took more control over the game but McGlade had a few chances here and there. Overall, maybe a draw would've been fair, but the team at least wasn't embarrassed. A poor performance from GK Sava didn't help either.

SSE AIRTRICITY LEAGUE - Matchday 35 - Shamrock Rovers - Won 2-0
View attachment 15450
WHAT A WIN!!!!! The team wins its first game in 36 matches in real style as we keep a clean sheet and score 2 goals, both for the first time this season. An amazing performance from the team as we take advantage of an underperforming Shamrock. More than I'd expected already from the team, Barnett was simply amazing today and hopefully he can keep playing at this level. Absolutely thrilled with that!

SSE AIRTRICITY LEAGUE - Matchday 36 - Cork City - Won 5-2
View attachment 15449
SIMPLY AMAZING I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!!! The team ends the season on a massive high with a drubbing of the team that earlier beat us 6-0. We get revenge following a world class performance from Paul Keegan, who scored 2 goals and collected an assist. Both Dylan's, McGlade and Barnett, had quality matches and I continue to have faith in young striker Jake Ellis, who scored on his debut. The previous manager gave youth no chance whatsoever, playing a team with an average age of 29. We don't even have many old players in the squad! What an amazing performance as the lads have their heads held high going into the season in the division below.
View attachment 15448
This was the earlier match against the team. Sweet revenge with a large win of our own!
View attachment 15447
So there's the final table. We look a little better now. Record low number of wins despite them being the last 2 games of the season. Also low number of goals and points. Dundalk ran away with the league winning by 25 points. My own team, St Pats, finished in a disappointing 5th.

NEW SEASON AT BRAY - HOW FAR CAN WE GO?
The team has announced it's star signing in the form of ST Chris Fagan as a free agent. His contract had expired at St Pats Athletic and we were more than delighted to take advantage of that. He has goalscoring pedigree and is operating as a key part of the side already. With little budget wise, this was the best deal available so I pounced and he should be good for the rest of my time here as a striker.
View attachment 15050
Fagan looks pretty good and has the experience that this team lacks a bit. We are expected to go back-up, but only via the play-offs, so we'll need players like him to step up and gain consistency in the team. I also have to wait 100 days before I can apply for another job. I can apply, but I will be immediately sacked as part of a deal the chairman made with me. I won't be jumping from job to job so quickly anyways, I want to get to know the teams I play with to get a bit more knowledge of leagues in the world.

(This is only a short update as pre-season is taking forever to arrive.)