A cancer of the mind

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 2K

Mike.

Reaction score
I write this, in the wake of Gary Speed's death, not just because of the tragedy involved, but becuase of the wider impact of depression and the seeming lack of knowledge of understanding of just how devastating depression can be.

Depressionisnt just feeling a bit down, it is as a friend of mine so unnervingly put it ( i'll come back to her later), is best desribed as a cancer of the mind. It is relentess, insidious, unrelenting and totally unchoosing of its victims. It doesnt matter if you are homeless, a nurse, a soldier, a footballer, or a multibillionare. It can manifest itself in so many ways and make no mistake it is a killer.

A few says ago, before all of this, i was reading the Secret Footballer, which featured an article which would turn out to be so tragically apt:

[h=1]The Secret Footballer: Sometimes there's darkness behind the limelight[/h] Mental illness is another of football's taboos, but attitudes are starting to change and it is not before time

The ability of football to turn life on its head with only a single blast of the referee's whistle makes it almost too easy to get carried away with the game at times. One minute everything is going well and seconds later things have never looked so bleak; sometimes that pressure is simply too much. Last week the attempt by the Bundesliga referee Babak Rafati to kill himself had pundits and commentators alike preferring to "put football into perspective" rather than ask the awkward questions that nobody wants to answer.

Many top sports people know only too well what Rafati is going through. On Friday, Stan Collymore, the former Liverpool striker, used his Twitter account to tell the world that his latest bout of depression was one of the most severe yet, prompting him to reveal that he hasn't seen daylight for four days. I certainly understand the feeling of wanting to shut yourself away from the world and when I was first diagnosed with depression in 2002 it was even more of a stigma than it is today.

Since football exploded as a global business some 20 years ago the pressure on everybody involved has become a poisoned chalice. On the one hand the rewards are vast but on the other failure, or even mediocrity, can become the barometer against which all aspects of life are measured, albeit for a minority.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying for one minute that everyone involved with the game is in a state of irreparable depression, but I do think that the majority of us feel a degree of pressure, from the thought of what the headline writers have in store for us to the fans that start work on Monday morning unsure if they'll have enough money to put fuel in their car, never mind afford another £40 ticket come Saturday.

When I started playing there was no media training or sports psychology to help you along the way; pressure was just something you had to deal with. Some players remain so anxious that they are physically sick before games, and one of my friends from the continent took to having oxygen such was his fear of underperforming.
On many occasions, I have seen players affected by what somebody has said about them on a message board or in a newspaper. Even if there are 99 positive comments, they will put all their efforts into searching for the one negative remark and, subsequently, put all their energy into worrying about it.

A player, of course, knows only too well if he has played poorly, and yet the fear of seeing a below-par performance pulled apart by a journalist remains a huge obstacle for some. I must confess that in days gone by I have refused interviews with some reporters when I've felt that the rating out of 10 given to me in their match report the previous week did not reflect my true contribution. As I wrote that sentence I could see how pathetic it might sound but imagine having your performance in the workplace publicly graded every week.
These examples of insecurity are in no way confined to the players. Whenever a manager mentions in an interview that he never reads the papers, then you know for certain that the first thing he does on a Monday morning is go through every match report with a highlighter pen.

Adding pressure to your own game is sometimes unavoidable and can manifest itself in poor performances, the culmination of which can lead to a dark and depressing cul-de-sac. Tragically, there are examples of players who have reached this tipping point. In 2009 Robert Enke, the German goalkeeper, killed himself after struggling to come to terms with the death of his daughter, his illness not helped by an inability to deal with the scrutiny of his performances and anything less than his own high standards.

Unfortunately, mental illness among the wealthy, and in particular those in sport that are perceived by the public to be doing the job they love, remains a tough concept for some to get their head around. The word "depression" is suffering from a tired image and doesn't seem to have penetrated the public divide in perhaps the same way that, for example, post-traumatic stress disorder has.

Yet, strangely for a game dominated by pent-up testosterone, the acknowledgment and treatment of depression is getting better. Managers understand, perhaps more than ever, that the talent of a modern-day footballer will tend to put them in a position of wealth and fame at a very young age, bringing vulnerability as well as huge rewards.

The media coverage of football has also changed, leading to a relentless quest for content that has driven an interest in the personal lives of many players. Because of this, I feel there is a real opportunity for our governing bodies to lay down a marker for what players can expect from the media and the terraces and what is an invasion of human rights.

Some have asked why a banker, which Rafati is, would ever want to be a part of any of this. The added pressure of refereeing top-flight football is in evidence almost every day of the week but, while banking is certainly a way to make a good living, it is, first and foremost, a job. Football is a passion and in an ideal world something to live for not to die as a result of.

The world, of course, is far from ideal and that makes it easy for all of us to point the finger at times. Sometimes I'll see fans screaming at players of their own team with such anger that for a moment I lose all identification with them; the butterfly effect is the player that hurriedly makes his way to the coach as hundreds of kids wait for autographs.

In my own way, I have learnt to cope with the side-effects of this game but only because I believe, in fact I know, that if some of those involved with football have arrived at a moment in their lives where they feel that standing in front of a train or slitting their wrists in a hotel room is the only way out, then it isn't just a game any more, is it?

Not too long ago we were talking about Robert Enke, many people were asking the same question, how did it come to this? why didnt he seek help? It isnt that simple, and the second question is one that both saddens and infuriates those who do suffer. It is so easy for someone outside it all to throw off easy words, without actually trying to understand what it is like to be in that frame of mind.

Enke could not get over the death of his daughter, despite everything else in the world he had going for him. He was severely clinically depressed, and despite all the people around him, and even in such a forward thinking country as Germany, he transformed from a happy world star to a shell of a man who drove in front of a train

(i recommend you all read The Tragedy of Robert Enke, by Robert Reng)

In this country we are somewhat backwards when it comes to depression. idiot and ignorant posters like LiamWatson who rant on about soldiers miss the point entirely. You do not have to be in combat in hellish situations to be depressed, perhaps that is the most terrifying aspect of it and why my friend refers to it as a cancer of the mind. It does not care for who you are or what you do, or how much money you have.

In such a macho and ignorant atmosphere in english football, those who suffer find it difficult to come out and seek help, they feel crushed by an overwhelming sense of shame and worry that they will be victimised, one just has to look at some of the chants in the crowd about any subject. Indeed this was Enke's greatest fear, and what stopped him from being able to deal with. How much more so in an atmosphere as venomous as ours.

We talked before about the german ref on these threads, and the criticism that drove him to his actions and in truth we are all guilty of that kind of criticism, I frequently vent about Jonny Evans myself, but none of us never really think about the impact.

On a personal level i come back to my friend, someone i've now know for 12 years, and for 5 years i had no idea she was depressed, up until the moment i randomly dropped in for tea, and clocked on to the fact she was getting ready to hang herself. My first reaction was shock, and a little bit of anger. For a while she could do nothing but cry, but after she stopped and began to talk, what came out was something that i still feel ashamed about to this day. She would frequently have terrible moments where nothing was good, and in these dark periods she would think about taking her life, and the she would feel so ashamed about this, she would cut herself to punish herself for such thoughts. She felt that couldnt tell us because of the way people would react to her and talk behind her back. These days she is a lot better, that day was a defining moment in her life where it became ok to have a problem and face it head on. She still doesnt know to this why she started to feel this way, what event in her life sparked itI always thought of her as just a bit moody, but I never saw the signs or paid enough attention, and were it not for a stroke of luck in a random moment...

It is all to easy to dismiss their actions as cowardly, without any understand of what is happening them. It is equally important to anyone who reads this who is in such a postion to realise there is no shame in depression. It is something that sufferers and non sufferers alike must tackle head on, without ignorance.

I written this in a gush so apologise for the rambling nature. But if you can take a moment to put that aside and hopefully you will take something from. And perhaps we wont ask "why did he do it?" we will learn to ask "what cane we do to stop it"?

Sadly, few people understand or have compassion for mental illnesses. They're dismissed as "soft" ailments, and people suffering for depression often get told to 'suck it up' or something equally ignorant. It isn't just a problem in football, it runs through pretty much every part of society.

Some of the (thankfully deleted) comments in the Gary Speed topic just highlight how stupid some people's preconceptions are.

I suffered with depression when studying in Cape Town 2004, I had nothing to be depressed about, I was living in Cape Town, such an awesome City, going to an awesome college, made fantastic friends, partied to my hearts content, parents paid for everything! Had women throwing themselves at me.. I had everything going for me, yet I used to cry myself to sleep some nights, ly in bed all weekend (well play Cm04 all weekend with the windows closed etc) :P

I never once cut myself however the thought of killing yourself crosses the mind frequently to prevent you from feeling like you do (trust me I never once even came close to it or even got further than thinking I could never do that to my mom) I believed I was possessed (dont all laugh) because I should not be feeling like I did, it must have been something else, the mind is a strong weapon!

It is a disease, not a choice or state of mind that can be turned on and off at will, its a very very serious disease and should not be taken lightly!

well other than that I am a perfectly normal and happy person, always have been, even during that time everyone loved me, I was the life of the party, made hundreds of friends... then one day, it literally just stopped :)

I thought maybe it was the fact that my college was quite competitive and the pressure to perform was expected as well as being away from home for the first time in my life!

anyway, I thought I would share my experience so people who are reading can actually understand its serious and its real and I support anyone who suffers with it :)

much love, Neil

Good read and something that has needed to be said. We need to remember that even if the act itself is cowardly in nature, its still a human being that we are talking about, we all have moments of weakness, suicide is one that a depressed person comes across and we DO NOT have the right to judge them, we as human beings do not have the right to judge a person in a time of weakness, we all have them and to get up on a perch and act all high and mighty about it is a fatal misjudgment of something that as mike says, is a cancer of the mind

My brother was diagnosed with depression a few years ago, I didnt notice it, we still made toilet humor jokes, still spoke about girls and sport, in my eyes nothing was wrong. Its not always easy to see and as mike says the reasons behind depression arent always so obvious as in the case of Robert Enke. I dont think he got to a point where he would kill himself, but its scary to think how long it festered under the surface without anyone noticing it.

Also to the high and might who say they should get help, it's easy enough for someone of sound mind to say, oh ill just get some magic pills to make the pain go away. There is a shame attached to it which is only fueled by the idea of asking someone for help and the constant berating people who have to voice there opinion on a topic they do not fully understand.

Im glad to hear you were lucky enough to stumble upon your friend mike, the experience could not have been easy for you. You have great emotional attachment to the issue and a real human sympathy for those who suffer it. Thank you for sharing this.

The first thing I noticed yesterday evening on FB as the hours passed after Gary's passing, were comments calling him insensitive, cowardly and I found them to be the most insensitive, ignorant idiots ever. What people have to realise is, some people have the mental strength to carry on and hopefully break through, some don't. Some people are so happy to jump on a bandwagon and label someone without even knowing that person, their situation-without knowing a thing. A so-called friend of mind did this, and I've changed my view on them sadly.

But I have had conversations about this before, people have said "footballers have everything and don't have a reason to be depressed". They forget footballers are human aswell-the reactions displayed by Robbie Savage, Shay Given, Craig Bellamy yesterday emphasised that. I used to think I was depressed a while back, but after listening to Stan Collymore talking about it on Talksport, reading about....it definately wasn't-and frankly I'm relieved. The biggest weakness of a human is the mind, it's just so incredibly volatile at times. Anoher weakness is pride. People say "just go and talk about it". Try and get someone who is immensly proud and doesn't like to admit weakness to it. It's nigh on impossible.

Having lots of money and success could for some, be like just a temporary band aid. It just papers over what they're feeling, when in fact some could be going through absolute **** because something happened that we don't know about.

But my opinion, I don't think depression can be stopped. Once somebody has it, it's there for good. And I'm only saying that through personal experience. It can be controlled yes. Though yesterday proved it can't just be controlled through a bunch of pills. You're always going to feel incredibly alone, no matter how many people are around you.

Good read Mike. Sorry to hear about your friend, good job your turned up.
Its a horrible thing to go through, I've been there. Its such a dark place. People encourage you to talk about it to try and "understand" what your feeling. For the record, (to people who haven't had this) its one of the most difficult things to talk about. I mean try talking to your parents saying that your depressed and you think its best to end your life? I tried .. well you know. Then I seen how my parents reacted. I seen how upset it got them. Then I decided to change. I didnt think about how it would affect their lives. I couldn't switch off how I felt, for a long time I was still in a bad way, but I was determined not to let it beat me. After a year or so, I got back to myself.

Unfortunately, my girlfriend has had depression since the birth of our daughter. Sounds horrible but most mothers tend to get this as hormones and emotions are all over the place.
She used to hit herself in her legs, so I couldn't see the bruises. It worries me, because I know what it can do.

As Neil says, I had nothing to be depressed over.. My girlfriend doesn't have any reason to be depressed, its just something that happens.

Thank god im out of that place now, and heres to hoping that no of you reading this have to go through such a period of your life.

Last edited:
This whole topic is a very sensitive issue which made me think twice about posting on the thread. As I said previously to Mike, I hope my comments don’t get lost in translation and I don’t want anyone to take it the wrong way.

I made a comment on the Gary Speed thread suggesting that his acts were cowardly and selfish. Mike text me suggesting that my comments may be harsh and that I do not understand the complexity of depression, which is a fair and valid point. I don’t.

Although in hindsight my comments were not thought out, I still think they are fair in their own way.

I could sit here and type out a sob story about my life, because it’s been no bed of roses, but who’s life has? We all have dark days, some more than others.

This whole situation proves that you never really know what’s going on inside someone’s mind. Mike thought his friend was a bit moody at times, how many of us then thought ‘hang on a moment, I know someone who is very grumpy, perhaps she/he has reason for acting the way she/he does’. Let’s be honest, we all make assumptions or base opinions of people on things like this.

Could it be perceived as ignorance? Maybe but I think it’s just in our nature. I was bullied at school; did I care that the guy bullying me might have had a drunken abusing father, which led him to take it out on me? Did I ****! As far as I was concerned he was a *****.

I know this isn’t always the case, some people are just ******.

But to call someone an ignorant moron for thinking Gary Speed cowardly, in my opinion is very harsh. I have a friend whose father killed himself. He resents everything about the man and hates that his mother had to find him & then attempt to raise three children on her own, working three different jobs. Would you blame him for using the words selfish or cowardly?

It takes a lot of bottle to be able to take your own life; just the thought of it is enough for me to know I couldn’t do it. The ironic thing is that if they are brave enough to do that then surely they have it in them to keep fighting? Then again just because I can handle something doesn’t mean another person can. I can’t drink any more than 7 pints of beer without falling over in a drunken state but my friend can drink it all night like its water.

If none of that made any sense, I guess what I am trying to say is that there is no right or wrong in situations like this. Everyone is entitled to feel the way they do. Those who are strongly religious will have their own views as well. We all make comments without considering all the facts and different situations effect individuals in different ways.

Maybe someone else will post something else and change my whole perception again. Ignorance would be taking in the facts and ignoring them.

I know what you mean Kris, I've known 4 people who have 'taken the easy way out' and I knew them quite well, well enough to be physically upset at the fact they had died, but I couldn't help but think to myself that what they had done was cowardice, that someone or even myself could have maybe seen through their front, but if someone asked you if you were depressed due to the way you were acting, would you take offence? (even if you were depressed).

I used to drink a lot to get away from so many things that would cause me to break down if I even thought about them, but of course, drinking only makes it worse and my mood swings were all the more obvious to people when I was under the influence until one day I just poured my heart out to my mum, told her about all these weird thoughts I'd been having about life after death and really wondering what it was like to the point I was worrying myself about actually committing suicide but thankfully, I thought about the other people who would suffer if I did end it, most of all my little brother, who had recently lost his dad and I was now the main 'father figure' in his life. It broke my heart to think that he would lose that part of his life because for a 13 year old child, he has had to go through no less than 6 of his relatives dying including his father and I can't imagine how he copes with it all. Our mother has recently been diagnosed with cancer as well so we've had to keep a very close eye on him, it's worrying times.

I was so angry with myself that I had even thought about suicide because I knew I had felt little to no pity for the friends who had done it to themselves, I felt so small, like a hypocrite (which I **** well was) but so thankful that I had come out and told my mum and dad about how I was feeling. They sorted my drinking habits out and basically sorted my life out for me. It's amazing just being able to speak to someone about how you are feeling and there is nothing worse than bottling them up inside because inevitably, that's what drives people over the edge.

Real touchy subject but one I have a lot of experience with, unfortunately.

I see where your going with it Kris. Suicide is a form of selfish act, but as said, you dont know whats going on in people's heads. To a degree, the person suffering from depression doesn't know either, otherwise they might be able to control it.
I wouldn't say because you don't know the complexity of it, doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't have an opinion on it. Everyone does.I dont agree with your comment about that if they are strong enough to take their own lives they should be strong enough to fit it. But thats just my opinion.
I wont speak about your friend and his father, as I can't even imagine what he would be thinking/feeling.

Kris and Ben, i do understand where you are coming, my issue with posters like Liam is that they dont even start to look at why someone even thinks about it. Its always the ones who are left behind who suffer the most, which should make people start to think just how deep in trouble that person is.

We can always debate whether its the easy way out or not. For me the issue is that they feel so helpless that to them it becomes the only way. Depression is never easy to talk about, and the way its viewed makes it so much harder. Until we really start to remove the taboo around depression, too many people will go down the route of Enke, Speed, and the people around us

Taking your own life may be a selfish act, leaving behind your friends family, wife, kids.. but maybe just for a second we can consider that the demons some one with depression suffers from are so great that they see it as a release, and that we are the selfish ones for wanting them to live on suffering in this way. one this is for sure more needs to be done to help and research depression and i hope from one tradgey it can prompt more action to save others from the same fate.

I do feel depressed at times in my life, but when thought upon not to the estimated scale of people such as Speed.

Reading all these stories makes me feel so sad and fortunately I don't know many people who have died. My family mean the world to me and it would be such a shock to hear something as awful as this occuring. It reminds me of the time my Grandad died earlier this year, he had been ill a long time, in and out of hospital. It was the worst time of my life.

I looked up to this man, he was powerless as the illness Parkinsons completely overtook him. When he went to the hospital for the last time and he was put on morphine it was then I knew that he would not be coming back.

I feel as though at times in my life that I am depressed but for silly things like looks etc and not to the bigger picture such as people who have abusive parents and those who live in poverty and although thinking about this does make me upset it reminds me of how fortunate I am to be in a state of mind where I am content and not in such a place where you feel like nothing matters anymore and you have to resort to something so awful.

Kris and Ben, i do understand where you are coming, my issue with posters like Liam is that they dont even start to look at why someone even thinks about it. Its always the ones who are left behind who suffer the most, which should make people start to think just how deep in trouble that person is.

We can always debate whether its the easy way out or not. For me the issue is that they feel so helpless that to them it becomes the only way. Depression is never easy to talk about, and the way its viewed makes it so much harder. Until we really start to remove the taboo around depression, too many people will go down the route of Enke, Speed, and the people around us

Totally agree.

but maybe just for a second we can consider that the demons some one with depression suffers from are so great that they see it as a release, and that we are the selfish ones for wanting them to live on suffering in this way.

I looked up to this man, he was powerless as the illness Parkinsons completely overtook him. When he went to the hospital for the last time and he was put on morphine it was then I knew that he would not be coming back.

Exactly my point from before, I never considered that they might be suffering in such extreme ways. I remember when my granddad (both really) were on their way out of this word as a result of cancer. I sat in his room with him while he was doped up to **** on morphine, probably couldn’t even tell I was in the room.

I think if you are in that much pain, they should put you out of your misery, so I guess those suffering depression is a different kind of pain.

Euthanasia is a completely different can of worms.

Germany learnt lessons from Enke (all clubs now have a psychiatrist, and in fact one player told his club he was suffering, they got him into treatment, and are not only paying for said treatment, but also his wages, because they are treating it as any other illness or injury). I hope we learn them here

Germany learnt lessons from Enke (all clubs now have a psychiatrist, and in fact one player told his club he was suffering, they got him into treatment, and are not only paying for said treatment, but also his wages, because they are treating it as any other illness or injury). I hope we learn them here

I thought we had something similar here? Surprised we don't

Yeah, depression is tough. I think you have to recognize that it's a cowardly decision but like Kris said, it's a battle. So, if we could be more aware and try and deal with it better (Like germany, do we really not have something like that? I think we should.) I think incidents like this would be less common. Because we could reach them before depression and the mad stuff it does to people could win that battle.

It's a terrible tragedy that a legend like Speed had to go, but I think it's worse that a guy as legendary as he was had to go out like that. Especially because, with things like this there is always the thought, "Could I have done anything to help?" It's a bad situation and I think we have to learn our lessons and recognize what a terrible thing depression is, and what we can do to help those suffering. So that in the future those who suffer don't feel like suicide is the only option.

I thought we had something similar here? Surprised we don't

I think we have sports psychologists, but they more deal with being mentally fit to perform on the pitch, rather than dealing with issues off it.

I think we have sports psychologists, but they more deal with being mentally fit to perform on the pitch, rather than dealing with issues off it.

Ah I see. Hopefully, like Mike mentioned, we can take up the same approach before it happens again. I know when I worked at Npower there was a counsellor type person who always helped people when they were depressed, and there's a few companies who adopt a similar approach.

Back