A Childhood Passion: Aston Villa Football Club

XerJames21

Reaction score
Aston Villa Football Club

View attachment 381339

On 9 August 2010, after achieving three consecutive 6th place finishes, Martin O'Neill resigned as manager of Aston Villa. This marked the end of Aston Villa chairman, Randy Lerner, making large sums of money available for transfers each season. Since then Aston Villa have had four different managers and only managed to finish within the top 10 once. It has been a frustrating time to be a Villa fan, but thankfully this season (2013-14) Lambert seems to have turned a corner. But that is in a year's time; our story starts at during pre-season of the 2012-2013 season...

Objective

SeasonPositionLeague CupFA Cup
2012-1317th4th Round4th Round
2013-1410thQuarter-Final5th Round
2014-158thQuarter-FinalQuarter-Final
2015-166thSemi-FinalQuarter-Final
2016-175thWinnerSemi-Final

Trying to create objectives with Aston Villa is difficult, especially with the financial constraints put in place by Lerner. So these are rough estimates only at this time, and I have probably been slightly harsh on the team that I inherit. As you can see I, I expect to improve in the league year after year. The biggest jump is going to be after the first season, where I expect to just avoid relegation and then push up into mid-table.

Cup competitions are hardest to predict, it all depends on who you get and when. If I get Manchester United in the 3rd Round of the League Cup then I do not expect to progress very far. As the team progresses, however, I will expect better results in both league and cup against the big teams.

You should aim higher mate. I've seen people win the league with Fulham in the 1st season. If you're good then you could win the league or maybe challenge for it within 3 years. Hope you do well. Are you using any update(s)?

Aston Villa Football Club
Club Evaluation

View attachment 381353

​Finances

The club finances are in a dire position at the start of the season. If I hope to have any success at Villa then I am going to have to improve the financial situation of the club, thus making them able to compete in the Premier League without being encumbered with debt and a large wage bill.

The projected profits are, as you can see, £14,020,000, this is unlikely to be reached based on previous experiences with other clubs. Regardless, if by some miracle we reach this target, it is not nearly enough to compete in the Premier League. The easiest way to save money is through cutting the wage cost, which stands at a staggering £35,229,116 per season, and that is just the players! The club will have to remove some of the highest earners from the club, especially if they have a massive match appearance fee.

The Team

In recent years Villa have become more reliant on youth players, which is shown in their squad. There is a lack of quality players, with a over reliance on youth players, although those youth players have a bright future with in the game. The team is particularly lacking, according to Ian Culverhouse's report, in the full back positions.

The three standout players are Ron Vlaar, Gabby Agbonlahor and Brad Guzan. Their combined salaries are £95,000, which is a lot. That is mainly Agbonlahor, who is on £55,000 per week, as such I will consider offers for Agbonlahor, but only if they are reasonable. Any money made on Gabby will be reinvested in young talented players.

With a transfer budget of 0 and already over spending on wages, by £98,410, the club is going to have to rely upon the youth team if there any injuries to the first team. Thankfully Aston Villa have a long history of producing excellent youth players, who will hopefully, one day, be the backbone to the team. Of the youth players currently at the club there are three stand out players: Jack Grealish, Joshua Webb and Christian Benteke.

The Staff

There are rather a lot of staff at Villa these days, it is a mixture of ex-Villa players and members of staff brought in by Paul Lambert. The staff are mainly mediocre to be honest and a lot will have to leave, if I can afford it of course. However, some, such as Tony McAndrew and Gordon Cowans, cause they are pretty good at their jobs.