A few WHY'S??

• Thread starter Thread starter Sparkle22
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 1K

Sparkle22

Reaction score
After playing this game for many years, but specifically overdosing in the last few days - I've noticed a few annoying traits of players that I remember from way back that haven't changed...

Is this bad programming or just unrealistic?

1. WHY - is my striker with 12-13 speed and 12 determination nearly always beaten to the ball by a defender with 10 speed/accl and 9-10 determination??
This goes way back...

2. WHY does every player, especially the GK, WALK SLOWLY to pick up a dead ball to take free kick/goal kick/throw in when there are 2 mins left on clock and I'm down by 1 goal?!
I have 'no time wasting' clicked and full attack etc... They still just walk...

3. WHY - do I get the occasional player knock the ball on (usually from a clearance or after he's dispossessed someone) - and then just walk next 6 steps to get it - only to get overtaken by opposition?
This happens constantly. I don't care about concentration/decisions/determination stats - and the fact that I play LL - no player in the world does that, no matter how bad he concentrates or lacks determination. Even my GK walked out to collect a back pass - and I watched as opposing striker ran at him and slotted it around his sorry behind.

4. WHY - do my defenders 60% of the time just hoof the ball square out of the stand when under the slightest pressure ("he's taken no chances, row z" etc)?
Yes, I have tried every combination of mentality, 'run with ball' etc etc. And again, just because I play LL teams it shouldn't matter - they would rarely do that IRL. I played and coached LL football - and never did I see one of our defenders just hoof it out of the stand at the slightest provocation. Players just aren't that bad even down in the bilges...

5. WHY - so many times do I see a throw-in knocked back to the thrower - only to pass through his legs?
First touch aside - again this happened about twice in 15 years of playing the game at low levels - and yet it's happened 9 times in the game I'm playing atm. Admittedly the better/more experienced players do it less - but still... 9 times really?!?

etc...

After playing this game for many years, but specifically overdosing in the last few days - I've noticed a few annoying traits of players that I remember from way back that haven't changed...

Is this bad programming or just unrealistic?

1. WHY - is my striker with 12-13 speed and 12 determination nearly always beaten to the ball by a defender with 10 speed/accl and 9-10 determination??
This goes way back...

2. WHY does every player, especially the GK, WALK SLOWLY to pick up a dead ball to take free kick/goal kick/throw in when there are 2 mins left on clock and I'm down by 1 goal?!

3. WHY - do I get the occasional player knock the ball on (usually from a clearance or after he's dispossessed someone) - and then just walk next 6 steps to get it - only to get overtaken by opposition?
This happens constantly. I don't care about concentration/decisions/determination stats - and the fact that I play LL - no player in the world does that, no matter how bad he concentrates or lacks determination. Even my GK walked out to collect a back pass - and I watched as opposing striker ran at him and slotted it around his sorry behind.

4. WHY - do my defenders 60% of the time just hoof the ball square out of the stand when under the slightest pressure ("he's taken no chances, row z" etc)?
Yes, I have tried every combination of mentality, 'run with ball' etc etc. And again, just because I play LL teams it shouldn't matter - they would rarely do that IRL. I played and coached LL football - and never did I see one of our defenders just hoof it out of the stand at the slightest provocation. Players just aren't that bad even down in the bilges...

5. WHY - so many times do I see a throw-in knocked back to the thrower - only to pass through his legs?
First touch aside - again this happened about twice in 15 years of playing the game at low levels - and yet it's happened 9 times in the game I'm playing atm. Admittedly the better/more experienced players do it less - but still... 9 times really?!?

etc...

This goes way back...

Positioning, pace isnt always the defining factor, positioning, anticipation, decison making, concentration all come into account for the defender.

time wasting is too high in general, due to the animation, something being looked at for fm13

Combination of slight bug and animation error, also happens a lot less regularly than you think

You cant have tried every combination if they still kicking it out. If they are doing it 60% of the time then your defenders will have about a 40% pass completion rate, if that is the case the problem is almost certainly tactical, even LL you will get the players passing it out if your set up is right, such as not restricting their range of passing, making sure they have options in said range

Suspect this is an issue with your side, this also happens very rarely in game, usually on poor pitches/bad weather.

You aren't looking into the linked attributes enough. high pace + high determination can still lose to low pace + low determination + high positioning. Then there are the hidden attributes like consistency to consider (you can view these in the editor)

As for the rest of it, yes watching these things happen can be frustrating, but the 3D match engine is just a graphical representation of what is happening in terms of processes and calculations to determine match results. Sometimes it looks terrible, but it's a relatively new technology for SI and it's ever improving. So just because something looks horrendous/unrealistic, it doesn't mean that is what actually happened, its just the game has no other way of replicating it in the match engine.

Your tactics can be the reasoning behind some of these problems though. It doesn't mater what instructions you give a player if you give him creative freedom. The more creative freedom you give him, the more he will ignore the instructions you have set him. The less creative freedom you give, the more he will stick to your instructions, as well as falling back on any PPM's he has.

You aren't looking into the linked attributes enough. high pace + high determination can still lose to low pace + determination + high positioning. Then there are the hidden attributes like consistency to consider (you can view these in the editor)

As for the rest of it, yes watching these things happen can be frustrating, but the 3D match engine is just a graphical representation of what is happening in terms of processes and calculations to determine match results. Sometimes it looks terrible, but it's a relatively new technology for SI and it's ever improving. So just because something looks horrendous/unrealistic, it doesn't mean that is what actually happened, its just the game has no other way of replicating it in the match engine.

Your tactics can be the reasoning behind some of these problems though. It doesn't mater what instructions you give a player if you give him creative freedom. The more creative freedom you give him, the more he will ignore the instructions you have set him. The less creative freedom you give, the more he will stick to your instructions, as well as falling back on any PPM's he has.

Indeed, vary rarely will a situation boil down to one or two attributes.

Yeah - the ol' hidden attribute stat for chasing a ball down. I thought there might be something else. The positioning thing does make sense, but some of the time the defender overtakes - which is doubtfully down to actual positioning...(?)

As for the hoofing it out - they're not doing it all the time - but enough to make me frustrated.
I'll lower Creative Freedom, as Jake said that makes sense...

Thanks for replies.

6. (lol ... two more) - WHY - can the opposing defensive midfielder hit a curling 28yarder into my top corner when his long shot stat is only 4?

7. And WHY - when I am losing by two goals and I turn all the attacking sliders/freedom etc up to 9 - do I lose by 3 more and barely get the ball back - but if I go conservative - I score twice.
Don't answer these last two btw.. .. just always frustrates me.. . . :P

Yeah - the ol' hidden attribute stat for chasing a ball down. I thought there might be something else. The positioning thing does make sense, but some of the time the defender overtakes - which is doubtfully down to actual positioning...(?)

As for the hoofing it out - they're not doing it all the time - but enough to make me frustrated.
I'll lower Creative Freedom, as Jake said that makes sense...

Thanks for replies.

6. (lol ... two more) - WHY - can the opposing defensive midfielder hit a curling 28yarder into my top corner when his long shot stat is only 4?

7. And WHY - when I am losing by two goals and I turn all the attacking sliders/freedom etc up to 9 - do I lose by 3 more and barely get the ball back - but if I go conservative - I score twice.
Don't answer these last two btw.. .. just always frustrates me.. . . :P

It is down to the positioning, the animation just isnt as good as the Match engine. The ME creates the animation not the other way round. also other things come in like anticipation etc, if the defender has reacted quicker than the defender, then he can still catch the slightly faster player simple because he has got a move on quicker

This also gets on my nerves!! I have players with 17 but cant score more than 1.2 goals per season, then comes Abidal with 8 and scores on his 1st kick!

This also gets on my nerves!! I have players with 17 but cant score more than 1.2 goals per season, then comes Abidal with 8 and scores on his 1st kick!

All about space, also decisions, composure, flair, technique. My central mid defend has a worse long shot than my playmaker, but because he is standing in space most of the time, he has lots of time to measure up when he hits it, so it's usually on target and in the back of the net, all of his 6 goals have been from 25 yards+

Back