MadRo

Reaction score
Swansea name Laudrup as manager

Former Barcelona and Real Madrid star signs a two-year deal at the Liberty Stadium

View attachment 281997

Swansea City have appointed former Barcelona and Real Madrid playmaker Michael Laudrup as their new manager on a two-year contract.
He succeeds Brendan Rodgers, who left the club to join Liverpool earlier this month, and takes the role on his 48th birthday.

"I've spoken to the chairman and I'm very pleased to sign for Swansea City,'' Laudrup told the club's official website. "It's going to be a new experience for me and I'm really looking forward to it.
"I've spoken to many people about Swansea and watched a number of their games on DVD - with many more to watch!
"It's going to be a new experience for me and I'm really looking forward to it"
- Michael Laudrup
"Everyone knows the style of football Swansea play and it suits my way of thinking."

Laudrup joins a Swansea side that were hugely impressive in their maiden season in the Barclays Premier League, winning plaudits for their attractive style of play as well as their 11th-placed finish.
And Swansea City Chairman Huw Jenkins believes Laudrup is the right choice for the club.

"We are delighted with the appointment," said Jenkins.
"Michael has a clear picture and understanding of what we require at Swansea City to build on all the good work and strides we have made over the last few years as a football club.
"There is no doubt about his standing as one of the game's greatest footballers, but we also see the qualities he has as a manager.
"We see Michael as someone who is fully committed and educated in all aspects of the way we want to take the club forward.
"I'm confident that Michael will prove a fantastic acquisition that will help keep this football club moving forward"
- Huw Jenkins
"Our overall aim is to build on our first season in the Premier League, but we also fully understand the need to adapt our approach as we go along to remain competitive season after season.
"Part of that process is to look at new ideas and increase our knowledge on all aspects of the game to keep advancing.
"Everyone I've spoken to about Michael during the appointment process can't speak highly enough about him, not just as a football man, but as a person.
"I'm confident that Michael will prove a fantastic acquisition that will help keep this football club moving forward."
Revered

Laudrup, one of the most revered players of his generation, played at the likes of Brondby, Juventus and Lazio before enjoying a glittering career in Spain.
Playing under the legendary Johan Cruyff at Barcelona, Laudrup won four consecutive La Liga titles as well as the European Cup in 1992 before winning another league championship with Real Madrid in 1994.
He won 104 caps for Denmark between 1982 and 1998, featuring in three European Championships and two World Cups.
Laudrup began his management career as assistant to Denmark coach Morten Olsen, before taking over at Brondby where he won the league and cup double.
He joined Spanish side Getafe in 2007, reaching the UEFA Cup quarter-finals in 2007/08, and has also spent time in charge at Spartak Moscow and Real Mallorca. (15th June 2012, Barclays Premier League Website)

July Review
View attachment 282217 5 wins out of 6, £20million spent, busy!!!!
View attachment 282218
A Brilliant preseason and there is no other way to put it! 5 wins out of 6 were against difficult opposition to say the least (included 2-0 victory over CSKA Moscow) while our other result was a well won draw against Arsenal. A very busy month for transfers were helped by the new members of staff who I roped in: Peter Schmeichel & Ruud van Nistelrooy (coaches), Eric 'The King' Cantona (DofF) Mick halsall (Head Scout) and Gary Iscott (Under 18s Manager)
With a high spending window we also had sell. Luke Moore and Nathan Dyer went to Huddersfield and Spurs respectively for £10 million, also going were Agustien, Monk, Lita and Gower with Donnelly and Richards leaving on loan.
Coming in was more busy with several key names coming in:
James McClean (Sunderland) £3.7m
Royston Drenthe (Unattached) Free
Mark Davies (Bolton) £6.5m
Lars-Christopher Vilsvik (Stromgodset) £350k
Mauro Formica (Blackburn) £3.2m
Graham Dorrans (West Brom) £4m
Neal Eardley (Blackpool) £2.4m
Pending: Scott Dann
I brough Eardley in after Angel Rangel suffered an injury that rules him out for at least the 1st month of the season, it all looks promising at the moment but a hard August is ahead!