• Thread starter Thread starter Kris
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 2K

Kris

Reaction score
Hello Guys/Girls,

Hope you are all well?

As part of the staff's bid to cut down on spam and the like i thought everyone would find this usefull.

Internet forums are either a brilliant community where you can meet and chat with new, interesting people, or full of scornful idiots who deserve to be banned from The Net in its entirety. This film explains some of the common mistakes people make in forums, which makes then the sort of loathsome fool no one wants to know.

Watch The Video: http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2008/11/07/online-etiquette-how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum/

Step 1:
Flame Wars
By-and-large, the trouble with The Internet, and forums in particular, is that everyone gets to be anonymous. That essentially gives them free reign to be as snooty and argumentative as they like.
A ‘troll' posts deliberately controversial or annoying messages for the specific purpose of getting a rise out of people and initiating a hate-filled and overly-argumentative thread. The appropriate course of action is simply not to respond. Don't feed the troll.

Step 2:
Godwin's Law
Godwin's Law states that “as an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.”
What that means in real terms is that sooner or later someone involved in a forum argument will be likened to a ****, or displaying Hitler-like tendencies. Please note that if you're the one invoking Godwin's Law and likening someone to a ****, you've immediately lost the argument because it's such a lame-a** low blow.

Step 3:
Fanboys
Approximately 99.9% of all online forums are based around videogames. Sadly, there are several members of the videogame community who have such an overly-fanatical devotion to their particular console that they're somehow incapable of admitting any other system might have good features too. They're best ignored, because ‘Fanboys' are basically a special subset of ‘Troll', and as such are all Nazis and/ or Hitler.

Step 4:
Teenagers
Sadly, teenagers are allowed on The Internet too. They have funny ways of spelling and don't understand that proper grownups don't want to put up with their pubescent attempts at ‘humour'. There's nothing you can do about Teenagers on The Internet, you'll just have to learn to circumnavigate them.
Not all teenagers are evil, mind. Just most of them.

Step 5:
Post Count
Every time you post, your post count goes up by one. Some people seem to think that the higher the post count, the more worthy and valuable they are to society at large. Frankly, the exact opposite seems to be the case; posting just to up your count is insanely annoying, so make sure all your messages add to a discussion in some way. If you're replying in a thread, make sure what you're writing is funny, interesting or funny and interesting. “yeh i agree lol” is not, in any way, shape or form, a valid reply, ever.

Step 6:
Respect the Admins
It's their website, and they can do whatever the **** they like with it. You're a guest, and hassling them about how they run things is akin to going round your Auntie's house and curling one out in her tea-pot.

Step 7:
DON'T USE ALL CAPS IN YOUR POST
EVER. ‘Shouting' through the written word is pointless and annoying, clearly.

Step 8:
Lurk Before Posting
Don't just jump in to the forums spouting off reams and reams your amazing knowledge of the intricacies of World of Warcraft. In Binary.
Lurk around a bit first and read some threads to see whether or not that's even remotely the sort of thing people there would be interested in.

Step 9:
Keep On Topic
If a thread's all about how amazing a new 2D Sonic the Hedgehog game would be, don't derail it and start talking about something else entirely, like Chun Li's thighs. Make a new thread if you absolutely must.

Step 10:
Picture Etiquette
Don't post massive pictures that are wider than most peoples' screens. What's more, don't post massive pictures of filthy grotty **** or anything in case people are at work. Not even the most ardent heterosexual likes looking at boobies when sat near their boss. It's enough to put them off for life.

Step 11:
NSFW
What's more, make sure you mark any risqué links as Not Safe For Work, just in case, and make sure doing so is in keeping with the forum's tone.
By and large, just remember to be excellent to each other. Be all civil and pleasant. Keep your tongue firmly in your cheek and get a nice thick skin.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! (NOT ON VIDEO CLIP)

It turns out there's even more annoying stuff people do that we simply couldn't squeeze into the film...

Step 12:
Signatures
...should be small and tasteful. Massive graphics plugging something you're selling are a right royal no-no. Text is very much preferable.

Step 13:
Your profile pic is how people picture you, so choose something good-looking, funny or interesting. Pretty much anything goes, just make sure it isn't ugly or annoying and fits with the tone of the forum.

Step 14:
Gravedigging
Old threads are old for a reason, and that reason is that noone's interested in discussing that anymore. Unless you've got an outrageously good reason to do so, leave dead threads to Rest in Peace.

Step 15:
Drama
Used properly, The Internet can be a tool for good. If used for overblown, melodramatic weepy Emo nonsense, it's ruined and needs to be scrubbed clean. Learn to relax and take everything in your stride. Noone's on The Internet to get all stressed and angsty, we're all just here for a good time. So leave all your haughty drivel at the door.

Step 16:
Smilies
If used sparingly a smiley can emphasise a point: sarcasm comes across extremely poorly in forums – almost dangerously so. A quick winky will sort that. Reams and reams of extravagant animated smileys performing all manner of wacky acts are annoying, and are the sort of thing your mum would do, were she able to use a computer.

Step 17:
Read the FAQ and Forum Rules
Because they'll tell you how the community there likes people to act. They're there for a reason.

Last edited:
sorry lads because i found out recently that i somtimes tend to spam and text talk but i will try my best to cut down on it

honestly i dont think our convo's on forums should be as restricted as all those rules are making them. it has some very good points, altho from 12th step up the rules tend to be a lil bit more non-sense, like regulating all our sigs and avatars, if you understand me

I agree with most of it especially people that go off topic, it does get annoyingXD

I love how this is getting ignored ^^)

lol, i watched it, but I don't think I do much wrong, or do I oO)

Most people's attention span goes after a line and a half if the threads not about Man City,Vagner Love or some poor guy getting heaps of abuse.

A really good effort but some of the people on this forum are beyong help.

A new thread that they probably won't read won't change it now.

Can I just add that I for one can not stand people who do not use capital letters at the start of sentences or posts on a forum. It's incredible how much one capital letter can make one post look so much nicer and easier to read.

Can I just add that I for one can not stand people who do not use capital letters at the start of sentences or posts on a forum. It's incredible how much one capital letter can make one post look so much nicer and easier to read.

That's quite a sad thing to actually care about.. (:

Gotta say that I agree. Dunno why, I'm not a grammatical ****, but i tend to take people who read their post before replying more seriously.

Btw I saw this video just the other day and it made me chuckle rather alot, mainly due to being reminded of the arrogant American faggits that play Cod 4.

POW!! 101 posts :D

Gotta say that I agree. Dunno why, I'm not a grammatical ****, but i tend to take people who read their post before replying more seriously.

Btw I saw this video just the other day and it made me chuckle rather alot, mainly due to being reminded of the arrogant American faggits that play Cod 4.

POW!! 101 posts :D
So Godwins law is true :O

I agree about the use of capitals too, also correct punctuation and spelling.

Last edited:
I assumed this website was for teenagers. I didn't know adults actually played football manager that much. How old are most of the people here? And how old are the admins? :S

The average age is indeed around 17. I know this because my brother was sad enough to type in data from the age thread into a calculator and find out the mean...

I am a teenager, however adults do play it as it is generally a game for people who know what they are on about. If you put this game in front of a nine or ten year old (generally) they wouldn't know what to do with it.

i'm with cheese lord. what have i ever done to be labelled evil.:'(

Back