A Levels or IB?

• Thread starter Thread starter Alcaraz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 1K

Alcaraz

Reaction score
Hey Guys,I am doing my O Levels next year but I have also been offered a place in my schools IB Programme so whcih one should I take as I am having a tough time deciding.

I have heard that A Levels is more recognised than IB but IB is also slowly gaining recognition and my schools IB is really good as they come in the top ten in the world so...

I would do A Levels.

What year are you in.
I'm in Yr 9 on Wednesday and I have to do 5 GCSE's?

It depends what you want to do once you finish college/sixth form. You might want to check how many UCAS points a IB is worth, and if you think you could get more doing A Levels, thats if you even want to go to uni.

It depends what you want to do once you finish college/sixth form. You might want to check how many UCAS points a IB is worth, and if you think you could get more doing A Levels, thats if you even want to go to uni.

IB does get more UCAS Points than A Levels but most uni's set a benchmark for UCAS Points so it does not really matter as they look at ur grades and stuff more...I want to do something related to Business/Economics

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

I would do A Levels.

What year are you in.
I'm in Yr 9 on Wednesday and I have to do 5 GCSE's?

Yr9 next January...I am planning on taking 8 subjects

IB is hardwork dude, seriously and if you have a defined career path and know what you want to do, choosing appropriate A-Levels is definitely the way, if you're good at core subjects and languages then IB could work but in my experience I don't recommend it. Anyway its ages until you have to make that decision?

Same for me, Maths, English, Science, Geography and French

I'm in for a looong year
Ditto except I'm doing Spanish. Not French.

I was offered to do PE, and do an A level in Yr 11, but I don't like PE.
So I have stuck with 5 for now.
Then I have to pick my options. :S

Alcaraz, what country are you in man?

IB is hardwork dude, seriously and if you have a defined career path and know what you want to do, choosing appropriate A-Levels is definitely the way, if you're good at core subjects and languages then IB could work but in my experience I don't recommend it. Anyway its ages until you have to make that decision?

Not really cos my school is offering a place for me in their IP now which is basically a pre-IB course..so if i dont accept I cant get in at all

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Ditto except I'm doing Spanish. Not French.

I was offered to do PE, and do an A level in Yr 11, but I don't like PE.
So I have stuck with 5 for now.
Then I have to pick my options. :S

Alcaraz, what country are you in man?

England but I go to a International School...hence why I do A Levels not AS

Not really cos my school is offering a place for me in their IP now which is basically a pre-IB course..so if i dont accept I cant get in at all

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

England but I go to a International School...hence why I do A Levels not AS
Ahh, I get ya. Where are you from, or your family?

My friend did IB rather than A-Level, but he found it difficult to get a university entry as most establishments only recognise A-Level with some allowances for BTEC students.

If you want to guarantee yourself a place in a university, then do A-Level; you can't be this assured with IB.

My friend did IB rather than A-Level, but he found it difficult to get a university entry as most establishments only recognise A-Level with some allowances for BTEC students.

If you want to guarantee yourself a place in a university, then do A-Level; you can't be this assured with IB.

True...But I have heard that IB is slowly gaining recognition too...I suppose I should go for something tried and tested

Im Yr10 and im thinking of A LEVELS

I did my A levels 5 years ago now, when they were still hard - i joke, they were easy back too. Met a few people at uni who did IB after ditching A levels after a year. they said IB rewards more work than hard work - if that makes sense. plus it was, 5 years ago now, UCAS points friendly. you would have to do further research now.

Measure down from the ceiling to each top corner of the picture. If the measurements are the same it is close enough to being level.

Measure down from the ceiling to each top corner of the picture. If the measurements are the same it is close enough to being level.

Do you even know what we are discussing here

Back