A little help for a Newbie please.

Reaction score
Hi Guys, 1st post!!
Sorry to be a pain in the backside but i'm a bit of a newbie to modern FM, although i used to play the game many years ago its been a while since then and things seem to have changed so much i'm more than a little lost. When i was addicted to the game you just bought it in a shop, loaded it onto your computer and entered a code and off you went. I'm sadly not a computer litterate person and although i've given it a go i'm totally confused about downloading. Knowing that there are all these add ons makes the game feel incomplete and i'd like to have them, especially the face packs but i don't know how to :(

I've got the 1st patch, that was easy and self extracting. But i tried the 9000+ logo's one (because it had instructions) but my computer said it would take between 2 and 7 days to download?????
I also tried a small face pack (Torquay) but don't know what to do with it now i've downloaded it :'(

Could someone possibly take a moment to do a walk through guide for dummies on how to download and install all the different types of add ons please??

Also as a Plymouth Argyle fan (for my sins) i'd like to get the missing player pictures, how do i do that??

And one last question, after hearing how you could create your own competitions, i wanted to make a UK Cup, the N'Irish, Welsh, bottom 3 Scottish and bottom 2 English leagues battling it out in the early stages before the Scots Prem and English Prem and CHampionship join in. I can see how to make a cup in an individual league but how do you make one for multiple countries???

Again, sorry to be a pain and thanks in advance for and help.

Fm for dummies

Welcome to FM for Dummies.Please don't get offended by the name.Just like learning to work a computer,I hope to steer you in the right direction to play the game.
Right, my little students. here is the basic things you must get right. Rule 1. The clue is in the name...Football Manager. You have got to manage all the duties of being a manager. From player morale to training and through to match day You can't cut corners. It must be done. Since 2010 was released and playing most nights,I have only managed to play a total of 30 matches Winning 15 drawing 12 and losing 3 in league and cup.Pretty poor record You may think but is it?
I top the Champioship Table with Bristol City. Three points clear of Derby. My players top the stats in goalscoring and defending passsing and assists.I play in front of sell out crowds at home and fill the grounds at away matches.Still in both cups having taken the scalps of Wigan and Everton on the way.I have spent a total of £160.000 on one player from my budget of just over 2million. Ruben Suarse from Levante. Great player for the championship.
Rule 2 Nobody elses tactics will work for you. You may get a degree of success with them but in the long run they will fail.IT IS HOW YOU lOOK AFTER YOUR PLAYERS that will make you a success or a failure. It is a little bit like ***. Fun to watch and talk about sometimes but much better taking part.
Rule 3.Never run the match engine at the start of the game at normal or fast. Always at a slow speed and always at full game.This lets you see where your players are actually on the field. For instance,When playing against Wigan, my main threats were the 2 Aml/Amr. I had to stop them putting in dangerous crosses to their strikers. I had noticed that my 2 full-backs who had tight- marking roles against them were still allowing them to much space.They scored against me after 3minutes from a cross from the winger before I could change things.1-0 down already.How did I fix it.I tookthe full backs off man-marking and moved up their closing down so they were closer to them and doubled up with my wide mid-fielders who i put on the marking job. Result. They faded out the game and i went on to win. With other adjustments along the way. Remember that you must treat both halves of the game differently. How many times you been winning at half-time and end up drawing or getting stuffed, The match engine virtual manager will change things at half time. He will motivate his players and change tactics to solve his problems. You need to pay attention to suttle differences in his formation and you can't pick up these if you don't play slowly. You run the match at normal speed after it has finished to get the pleasure of how good you are playing.
If you need help with little problems you havig in your game.I'll be glad to help if I can. All the best guys and girls Hope I aint bored you.

Last edited:
Back