A New Beginning

• Thread starter Thread starter Treaders
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 2K

Treaders

Reaction score
There i was, Called up to the area managers office accused of swearing at a customer. I'd been seen by 2 members of staff and i knew this was it, he came into the room and laid into me, shouting and screaming at me which soon followed by the words your fired.
As i went to sign on, i thought to myself with rent and my car insurance to pay for how can i live on £53 a week. I had 2 find myself something new, i had to go back to school. As i sat at the pub the following night i was screaming at the tele telling sam allardyce bring carlton cole on!! "you should be a football manager nicko" said my mate ben. what a excuse to go back to school, to earn coaching badges and become a football manager.
In May i left school with coaching badges for the football league, My girlfriend who somehow stopped with me through this was suprisingly supportive, so i started to hand out cv's. then came the morning that changed my life...

With still no contact from any of the vacancies, i began to wonder if i right to do this, then my phine vibrated,
"hello" i answered quickly
"hello is this Nick?"
"speaking, how can i help?" i asked
"oh, hi im michael slater, chairman of charlton athletic. ive been reviewing your cv and i would like to invite you to my office at the valley to discuss the managers position"
i froze, was this really happening to me, charlton athletic want me! "yes of course, when would you like to see me sir"
as we discussed details my head was spinning, but the meeting was set for 11am the next morning. I was that excited i couldnt sleep, and kept having to wee!
I arrived at the valley the next morning to mr slater, we stept into his office and started to talk contracts...
he came out with £975 a week for 3 years, my jaw dropped and i couldnt have shook his hand any quicker, the 25th may 2012 and i was charlton manager, i began my job the next morning.

My morning began with discussing the squad that i had, It was quite depleeted. needing some class adding. we drew up a list of possible candidates,
as we ended july, i had most of my side sorted,
here are the transfers...

View attachment 215398

Ive chosen to add alot of experience with sol campbell and dawson, but also a bit of flair with the likes of bebe on loan from feeder club manchester united.
The only problem was finance wise, i didnt have alot to manouver with, and only a week till the new season began i had to try everything possible.

August

Charlton 2-1 Bournemouth
(Hanley, Wright-Phillips)
We began the season with a tough home game against bournmouth, we began well with baldock and hayes going close, we conceaded against the run of play when marc pugh scored a well placed finish on 25 minutes. 6 minutes later we were in trouble when dawson tripped cadogan, Then ben hamer showed his class by tipping the penalty away.
We started the second half with some real pace and deservidley levelled on 72 minutes when grant hanley poked in after a scramble in the goalmouth. Just after that goal bradley wright-phillips was introduced, and on 87 minutes dale stephens played wright-phillips in who smashed the ball into the far corner and cemented our first 3 points.

Charlton 2-0 Leyton Orient
(Baldock, Stephens)

We continued our good start with a 2-0 win over orient after extra time, after 90 minutes where both teams struggled to rally extra time lightened up the night, firstly with sam baldock netting his first goal for charlton with a curling effort from 20 yards. As leyton orient chased a equaliser, we killed the game off 2 minutes from time where on the counter dale stephens were left alone just inside the box wher he hammered a unstopable hit past the goalkeeper and helped us to progress to round 2.

Walsall 3-2 Charlton
(Wright-phillips, Hanley)

Our first trip of the new season see's us travel to walsall, what a disaster, goals from grigg a jon macken penalty and a michael morrison own goal left us 3-0 down inside half a hour. after that we woke up and began to play, A classy finish from bradley wright-phillips and a bullet header from hanley gave us hope at half time, In the second half we dominated, attack after attack but we couldnt break down the walsall defense, with paul hayes squandering our best chance.

Charlton 3-0 Tranmere
(hanley, Wright-phillips, Hayes)

I demanded a better performance from the side and they delivered against a poor tranmere side, After a good start we got our reward when grant hanley headed us into a 24 minute lead, Bradley wright-phillips scored a 20 yard effort just after the break which settled us then paul hayes added his first of the season to run out comfortable winners.

Oldham 0-2 Charlton
(Hayes 2)

After a positive result last time out we kept our good start going with a good 2-0 win at oldham, with sam baldock picking up a injury early on, paul hayes had his chance to shine which he did with a header early on and a well taken finish towards the end to give us 3 important points,

Charlton 2-0 Portsmouth
(Wright-phillips, Jackson)

In the league cup 2nd round we upset premier league side portsmouth, we gave a really impressive performance with bradley wright-phillips poking in after a great cross from bebe, Johnnie Jackson then scored a thunderbolt after the break to give us a memorable victory.

We ended the month securing 2 more loan deals before the deadline, with lee martin and darren pratley signing on loan to the end of the season.

View attachment 215462

View attachment 215463

September

Charlton 3-2 Hartlepool
(jackson, Wright-phillips 2)

We began september with a home game against hartlepool, the game began frantically with jackson scoring a screamer from 20 yards, just a few minutes late hartlepool drew level with a great header from ritchie humphreys.
We were soon back in front thanks to 2 quick goals from bradley wright phillips, then hartlepool fought back and scored again through colin nish. just before the break hartlepool were given a penalty that charlton's ben hamer saved fantasically to keep his side in front and to help them collect 3 points.

Carlisle 1-1 Charlton
(Baldock)

Our trip to carlisle was a tough and very physical encounter, after both sides were putting on a great defensive performance sam baldock scored a peach from 25 yards to give charlton a chance of a unlikely victory, that was until the clock ran into added time where carlisle's pressure had a reward when andy welsh swept in at the back post after a deep cross was failed to be cleared.

Charlton 1-1 Brentford
(Baldock)
Our game against brentford was very frustrating, we failed to take alot of chances and dropped 2 points, after missing alot of chances sam baldock looked to have rescued us with a goal on 73 minutes only to be pulled back by a penalty on 81 minutes.

Chesterfield 1-2 Charlton
(Wright-phillips, o.g)

After a positive start we got our reward with bradley wright-phillips scoring after 15 minutes, once chesterfield started to play they had a good rythem and deservidley got level through lee novak, just as we were looking vulnerable a freak own goal from jamal johnson put us back in front, and also helped us gain 3 points which kept our good run going.

Hull 2-5 Charlton
(Baldock, Hanley, Jackson 2, Solly)

Our toughest game of the season seen us put on our best display in a fantastic 5 goal show. baldock got us on the way with a well placed finish from 10 yards, and also grant hanleys header just before the break kept us comfortable, after the break jackson added a third from 20 yards to send the visiting fans crazy, but with hull being a class side they fought back with 2 goals from matty fryatt to set us a tense finalle, but a penalty from jackson and chris sollys first goal of the season see's us run out comfortable winners.

Charlton 0-1 Stoke

In the league cup third round we faced a established premier league club in stoke, we were on the back foot for most of the game, and although we rallied and almost snook a equaliser it wasnt our night, the lads performed well and we were unlucky in defeat.

Charlton 3-0 Port Vale
(Wright-phillips 2, Hanley)

We kept our impressive league run going with a comprehensive 3-0 win, wright phillips got us on our way after beating the offside trap to place the ball past the keeper early on, grant hanley doubled the lead just after the hour with a brilliant header and in added time wright phillips completed his double with a tap in from 3 yards, which took us to 8 games unbeaten in the league and we currently sit in 2nd place.

View attachment 215553

Forgot to update this as ive got so into this game,

To help you catch up, i got promoted from league 1 after finishing 2nd with 100 points. finishing behind crystal palce, but i did win the johnstone paint trophy

View attachment 217331

I will try to update alot more as i embark on a great journey in the championship

After our fantastic season the supporters had some great news, charlton were approached about a takeover, Rumours however said that keith millen would be named the new manager. for me it was time 2 wait and see,
View attachment 217336

The embargo was placed on us.​

After a couple of weeks, still no news. i couldnt prepare for anything, i wanted it 2 end and find out what i am supposed to be doing. then the chairman michael slater released a statement which made me feel better.
View attachment 217341

A few days later, i turned on sky sports news and there was the news.

View attachment 217347

i then recieved a email from mark thompson, i could see this coming a mile off but by email. absolute no respect to what i have done. but i new it wouldnt be millen as he had just agreed to be sheff utd manager.

View attachment 217348

3 days later i recieved another email saying my job was safe and he requested a meeting, i just loved the club so i agreed.​

I had visions of you and fulham lol. Just gotta build a good side now

4 days later the chairman had a change of mind and i was sacked. i found out thanks to sky sports news, and fuming wasnt the word.

Luckily i had a nice pay off from charlton. it took me a few months to get over to be honest. but i new if i waited id get my chance and in october it all went up. preston, blackpool, derby and notts forest had offered me a job, on the same day. unbelieveable, but for me 1 stood out and after hearing how much the chairman would back me i new it was for me, so i decided to take over.....

View attachment 217504

i signed a 3 year contract on just under 7k a week. and promised a transfer budget of 7 million to get blackpool back in the big time.

I had a 1st look at my squad the next morning and i could recognise some real class. nathan dyer, wilfred zaha, paulo ferreira we had alot of quality and i couldnt wait to get started.​

My squad needed alot of work, which i plan to do in january.

View attachment 217512

i already looked into who to sign and agrred a 900k fee for lukas jutkiewicz, i will keep you updated on others.

Dyer, Zaha and Ferreira are great players for Blackpool, hopefull they do what you would exect that quality to do. Continue to make the stories mate, loving them

Back