A Rovers Revolution (Blackburn Rovers Story)

rovermadrees

Reaction score
Rovers Revolution

I have been reading stories written by users for some time now, and felt like doing my own. I’m 3 and a bit seasons into the game, I’m gonna bring you all up to speed with how things are looking and how seasons have progressed, an then I’m gonna carry on from there. Here's my first season for you!

Season One

On the 5th​ June 2011, Blackburn Rovers made a huge announcement. Anuradha Desai released a statement declaring that Steve Kean had been sacked from his post as manager, and the club decided to take things in a new direction. The club have announced the new manager as Rees Walker, a 25 year old manager with little experience. Rees Walker has never managed a team in the Premier League, and some fans may be scratching their heads as to why the club has chosen to make this drastic move, but fans are curious about the local lad. Walker, born in Blackburn and lifelong Rovers fan only had this to say “I’ve watched this team for many years now, I’ve seen the highs and lows, and I’m here to prove myself. I’ve been in football for some time now, and this is my opportunity to bring success back to Blackburn

Pre-Season and Transfers

In and Out
View attachment 233990

Total cash spent = £1,050,000 Total cash received = £4,425,000
The first step into the transfer market that Rees Walker made, was stepping in to sign free agent Biel Ribas. Ribas, who previously played for the Spanish Second Division team Salamanca, joins as backup to Paul Robinson, as Rovers receive 2m for Mark Bunn who heads to Southampton. Another departure is Myles Anderson, who has had a brief spell at the club after joining last summer. The second signing saw Walker dip into the transfer market to sign another free agent, Ahmed Soukana. Soukouna, who was a free agent after leaving Toulouse, joins as a much needed option in attack. Rovers also saw Jason Roberts leave for a small fee of 525k to make room for the incoming striker. Nick Blackman, Josh Morris and Amine Linganzi all left the club for brief spells on loan at Peterborough, Colchester and Preston respectively. Among the other summer signings for Rovers were South African hero Siphiwe Tshabalala, the 27 year old joining from Kaizer Chiefs for a small sum of 350k. Wayne Bridge also arrived from Man City on a season long loan deal, with Stuart Parnaby signing on a free to add to the weak right back spot. Edinho moved to Rovers in a part exchange deal, with Bruno Ribeiro heading to Malaga, Rovers also received 1.9m as part of the deal to take the Brazilian to the Anchovies. Walker then moved quickly to bring young strikers Yaya Sanogo and Artem Kravets in to bolster the attack, both players signing on loan. Experienced midfielders Maniche and Mahamadou Diarra are brought in to strengthen the midfield and provide reliability.The shrewd business of Rees Walker see’s Rovers spend just over 1m, bringing in four players on free transfers, and also see’s a return of almost 4.5m. This could either see Blackburn cement their place again in the Premier League, or head for a relegation battle. The new manager had declared that his expections for the season was to seal Rovers future in the Premier League, and build for the future. He expressed that he had a four year vision to get the club into the Champions League, similar to which Steve Kean has failed to live up to. If Walker can pull this off, it will be somewhat of a miracle. With the way things look for the club, the future looks unsure for the team.

Pre-Season
View attachment 233991
The first friendly of Rovers pre-season, saw them face the reserve team in a training match, which saw the game finish 0-0. Eyebrows were raised as many fans had expected more from the game, this didn’t help when the team faced Celtic at the Kyocera Stadion as part of a Friendly Clup. The team lost 2-1 in a game many thought fans would do better in. The summer saw Walker bring in a fresh assistant manager, Fausto Salsano from Man City, the Italian being known for his attacking mentality expressed no concern, issuing a statement which said “The fans do not need to be worried, this is early pre-season. The main thing is getting the lads out there fit. Do not worry for results now. Worry at end of the season” Bouncing back from a defeat and a draw, saw the team beat Port Vale 4-1, proving that any doubters of the team may have to think twice. They then won their next 4 games, beating Argentinean side Velez Sarsfield 3-1. The last fixture of pre-season saw Rovers face Roma, a game in which ended a 0-0 draw. Walker declared that the pre-season had given the team a much needed boost, and the lads were fighting fit.

August to January Transfer Window
View attachment 233992
View attachment 233993
The first game of the season saw Rovers face Fulham at the Craven Cottage, in which many thought would show them what the team were capable of. In an eagerly anticipated game which ended a 2-2 draw, saw Junior Hoilett take the lead for Blackburn on the 21st​ minute, before Clint Dempsey scored two in the 51st​ and 55th​ minute. Rovers looked down and out until Yakubu popped up at the far post to nod home to seal the draw late on. The word about Walker was good. The team had shown a desire, a passion to come back from behind and the supporters were signing the name of star striker Yakubu. The next game saw Rovers face Newcastle and at home and draw 0-0, fans left the stadium feeling disappointed after seeing a goal scored by Hoilett chalked off for offside, only for replays to reveal the goal as being onside. Rovers beat Oldham in the League Cup and picked up 3 valuable points against Sunderland. A game against Man City saw Walkers men walk away with all 3 points, winning 3-1 in somewhat of a thriller. Rovers responded to an Edin Dzeko goal by scoring 3 goals in the last 10 minutes of the game. Rovers then go on to draw with United in their next game, recovering from a goal down again. The team then lose to Everton 3-0, Blackburns first defeat of the season. They then record wins against Liverpool and Arsenal before losing to Tottenham at White Hart Lane. Blackburn progress to the League Cup Semi-Finals after beating Villa 4-1, as well as beating Wolves in a goal fest ending 5-3 and then thumping QPR 6-1.Rovers go into the New Year on the back off two defeats and two draws against teams they could well have beat. In the teams opening 23 games, one thing the fans can not complain about is the input of new signing Ahmed Soukouna, who has is the clubs top goal scorer with 8 goals. Yakubu, Hoilett and Ryan Nelsen have contributed to the cause, each scoring 4 goals. New signing Soukouna has hit the headlines as he scores goals whenever he seems to play, leaving fellow signing Yaya Sanogo on the bench.

January Transfers

Ins and Outs
View attachment 233994
Total Spent = £2,050,000 Total Received = £0
Two summer signings were shown the door in January, with Stuart Parnaby and Edinho leaving. Walker found that the players were merely fringe players, and after signing them on short term deals, decided to cut them short and agreed to let the players leave on a free transfer. Walker then strengthened his midfield, signing Newcastle midfielder Danny Guthrie. Walker announced that he hoped Guthrie could provide resistance to the team, and then moved swiftly to sign Jordan Rhodes from Huddersfield. The Scottish striker had been in magnificent form for the League 1 team, scoring 18 goals in 25 appearances. The club let Jordan Slew go to Shrewsbury on a 6 month loan deal, with summer signing Maniche also deciding to leave the club in February, a mutual decision from both sides according to the player.

January to May
View attachment 233995
View attachment 233996
The start of the year saw the Rovers beat Fulham 3-0 at Ewood Park, in a game where top scorer Soukouna stole the show with a 30 yard screamer. Blackburn then picked up wins in the League Cup semi-final against Swansea and Sunderland in the FA Cup. The following game saw Newcastle entertain Blackburn at St James Park, a game in which Newcastle outplayed and outclassed the opponents and knock 3 past them. Rovers rebounded by beating Sunderland in the league and Swansea in the second leg of the League Cup, a game which saw Blackburn take part in their first final since winning the then Worthington Cup in 2001. The next game saw Rovers progress to the FA Cup 5th​ round but then lost away to West Brom 2-0. Rovers then lost to Man City 3-0 and drew to Birmingham in the FA Cup 5th​ round. Rovers next two games saw them up against in form team Man Utd, as well as taking on 2nd​ placed Chelsea in the League Cup Final. Blackburn went into the tie with United on the back of a draw to Championship side Birmingham in the FA Cup, a game most fans would have rather avoided replaying. Rovers however turned up on the day, and won convincingly, they then followed up beating Chelsea at Wembley, in a 5-3 thriller. Scott Dann and Steven N’Zonzi scoring the fourth and fifth in the last 5 minutes of the game. Walker had brought silverware to Lancashire in his first season, and fans were chanting his name. Blackburn were a team on the up, however they then lost the replay to Birmingham and lost away to Liverpool. They then dropped points against Everton and were outclassed against Arsenal and Tottenham. Local rivals Bolton added to fans misery by beating Rovers 2-1. Blackburn responded with an excellent 6-1 win against win, as well as beating QPR 4-0 and going on to win their last 5 games, beating Chelsea 3-2 in a dramatic finale.The season saw loanee signing Artem Kravets burst onto the scene for Rover s in January. Walker chose to freshen up his side, and thought that Kravets was ready for the first team. The Ukrainian went on to score 20 times in 23 games, finishing the clubs top scorer. Fellow summer signing Ahmed Soukouna scored 10 goals helping the teams cause as well as captain Christopher Samba scoring 8 from the back. The real star performer of the season has to go to Artem Kravets, making such a big contribution with 8 man of the match performances. The fans feel as though the club has made progress this season, with new manager Walker guiding the team to their first trophy since 2001. Many fans thought that the team would be facing relegation, but with wins against the so called ‘top 4’ under their belt and consistent performances
saw the club have a good season, and finished above expectations.

View attachment 233997
The club finished 8th​ in a season many fans believe to be a success. Rovers fans have been delighted with the way the team have been attacking lately, and have expressed great joy at the football the team have been playing, scoring 65 goals in the season. Blackburn finished 2 points behind Arsenal in 7th​ place, with West Brom 5 points away from 8th​ place. The season saw Man United win the league with some ease in the end, thumping West Brom 6-0 on the last day of the season to seal their place on Premier League history once again. Man City finished third with Tottenham in fourth. Sunderland, Norwich and QPR were all relegated into the championship, with Bristol City, Cardiff and Blackpool all being promoted.

Last edited:
Good job so far. Blackburn fan myself. Good job with transfers, realistically not spending much, although a few I could never see joining :P

I had one and Burnley offered me Jay Rodriguez for 5m. I couldn't pass that up, as much as I wanted too. Lets just say I was doing Jay a favour :P

Good luck!

Season 2

Summer Transfer Window

After finishing 8th last season and winning the League Cup, Rovers boss Rees Walker was looking to add some experienced faces to a reasonably young side. The Blackburn manager had set his hopes high for this season, expressing his wish to qualify for Europe via the Premier League "I believe we can qualify for Europe this season, we will build on our impressive first season and look for ways to strengthen the team" The Rovers boss was given 24m as a budget as the owners responded to his positive thinking.

View attachment 235220
Walkers first move was to sign Yaya Sanogo on a free transfer, the striker had previously spent the season on loan with Blackburn and contributed by scoring a few vital goals. The next signing the Rovers boss made was to sign youngster Jamaal Lascelles, a promising central defender. Royston Drenthe was then signed in a move some fans saw as a step in the right direction. The versatile left sided player joining on a free transfer after having spells at Real Madrid and most recently, Everton. The Blackburn manager then pulled off 3 great transfers, signing Asamoah Gyan from Sunderland for 4.3m, Walker then signed Darren Bent for 9.25m, after the striker had requested a transfer. Younes Kaboul joined the club a week later from Tottenham, for a fee of 3.4m. Rovers fans were excited as two big name strikers had joined the club as well as a solid defender. England striker Bent expressed his joy at joining Blackburn and said he was here for the future "The boss has promised me big signings and a big future, and I cant wait!" Leaving the side in a big money move was explosive left back Martin Olsson, joining Liverpool for 12.5m. Olsson had asked to speak with Liverpool, and Walker stepped aside to let the young Swede join the Reds. Yakubu was also sold to Bristol City for 2.7m, a move that fans understood after Walker brought two quality strikers in. Keith Andrews also joined the promoted club in a 250k deal. Jordan Rhodes joined Celtic on a season long loan, Celtic also had the option to buy the player at any time for 2.5m. Also joining the club were versatile full-back Paulo Ferreira and experienced midfielder Tomas Rosicky. A few of the younger players left the club on season long loans to get much needed first team football with no other major departures. Walker spent over 18m in the summer transfer window, however managed to recoup over 15m of it back. Many fans have been whispering about Champions League football, and certainly, this is the direction in which Walkers men are heading.

Pre-Season Fixtures

View attachment 235221
Rovers kicked off pre-season by beating Charlton 2-1, a game which saw defender Scott Dann and midfielder Simon Vukcevic get on the score sheet. Blackburn then beat Darlington before thrashing Alloa 8-1 with Yaya Sanogo scoring a hat trick, his first since joining the club. Rovers then took on AS Nancy, with Darren Bent scoring his first goal for the club in a 2-1 victory. The next two games saw the team beat Ayr 2-1, before losing by the same score to Santos, a result many didnt expect. South American whizz Neymar stole the show, scoring two goals as the Brazilians swept Rovers aside. The final game of pre-season saw Rovers take on a tough Brighton team. In a game where Yaya Sanogo scored another hat-trick as Blackburn warmed up for the new season with a convincing 3-0 victory. Walker was pleased with the work-out the pre-season had given his lads, and was up for the challenge ahead "We've got a good team. A good set of lads. Morale is high. I think we can have a good season ahead of us"

Season 2

August to January

View attachment 235223

Rovers, having won the League Cup last season, were in Europe for the first time in years. In the Euro Cup 3rd round, Rovers defeated Sloboda 3-0 at home with new signing Asamoah Gyan scoring a hat-trick, then finished the job off by beating them 2-1 in a hostile game played in Bosnia, the game almost had to be postponed due to flares being thrown by the home fans. Darren Bent scored both goals for Blackburn as both new strikers combine to look deadly. Rovers progressed to the next round, and were drawn against Maribor. The start of the Premier League season saw Blackburn draw 2-2 at Bloomfield Road, in an exciting game where Darren Bent scored again.

Yaya Sanogo came into the side to put a decent NK Maribor side to the sword, scoring both goals in a comfortable 2-0 win. Rovers beat Maribor by the same score when visiting the Slovenian team away. Other scores that stand out are an exciting 5-2 win against West Brom, which was then followed by an excellent 2-1 win against Man Utd, last years title winners. Fans again began to grow in confidence as the team did, spurred on by a great bit of form. The team then beat Slovan Brattislava 4-0, and followed that result up with wins against Wigan, Watford and Chelsea. This meant that Walkers men had gone 12 games unbeaten scoring 30 goals and only conceding 8, with the team winning their previous 9 fixtures. The team went on a 16 game unbeaten run, picking up wins against Tottenham, Swansea and Ajax before losing to a strong Liverpool side.

Rovers then crashed out of the league cup, losing 2-1 to Spurs, then drew 0-0 to a poor Bristol City side and then lost 2-0 away to Ajax. "This is just a minor blip, have no worries because we will be back to form soon enough, we are a strong side and we can finish in the top 4 this season" Walker said in a statement after being questioned on the dip in form. The team bounced back with a thumping 4-1 win away at Aston Villa before drawing 1-1 with a strong Man City side in excellent form. Rovers then went on a 4 game winning streak before drawing 0-0 against a tough Everton side. Arsenal entertained Walkers men at the Emirates stadium, a game in which Rovers were outclassed and dominated from the start. Arsenal won 6-2 in what can only be described as the worst performance since Rees Walker arrived at the club. Fans became disgruntled along with chairwomen, Desai. In a meeting she told Walker "Things must improve. This is unacceptable" ​The team bounced back with a 2-1 win at Newcastle, before drawing with West Ham and beating Blackpool by 1-0.

Anyone interested in this story? Little feedback, so not sure whether or not to continue!

Ive been reading mate and 8th place is a good acheivement and youve had a decent start in europe

Back