A Tangerine Dream - A Dundee United Story

• Thread starter Thread starter DeclanH
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 5K

DeclanH

Reaction score
View attachment 327405

Hey everyone and welcome to my FM13 save with Dundee United. I have always had a soft spot for The Terrors even though I am a life long support of Celtic. I have previously managed United back in FM10 and achieved Europa League wins and three consecutive back-to-back SPL titles however I never managed to make an impact in the Champions League. This is when the Tangerine Dream comes into place. My dream for this team is to win the CL and become a dominant force in Scottish Football by splitting up the Old Firm. I hope you all like this story I will be updating monthly wit all the information you all need to know about behind the doors of Tannadice. Enjoy and come on The Terrors!

A background to the club (for those won don't know it)

Stadium

View attachment 327407

Capacity - 14,223 all-seater

Our rivals Dundee have their stadium right next to ours (weird I know)

History

SPL (1)
First Division (2)
Scottish Cup (2)
Scottish League Cup (2)

Most recent cup success was the 2010 Scottish Cup victory over Ross

County[video=youtube;ascrG9KZZoI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ascrG9KZZoI[/video]

View attachment 327414

PRE-SEASON

I set my season expectations to continental qualification which gave me a transfer budget of £0 and a wage budget of £27.01K p/w. This is a poor wage budget however I don't have any areas of the squad to improve.
PLAYERS IN

Thomasz Wisio - Free Transfer

An improvement to our left back position he is however 30 years old but is still a promising player and will hopefully be sold in defence for us throughout the season.

FIXTURES

Dundee United
5-1 Dundee United Reserves
Ryan 7, Daly pen 34, 64, Barrett 57, Russell 66

Dundee United 3-2 Dundee Violet
Daly 23, McMullan o.g. 45+4, Ryan 52

Dundee United 1-2 Liverpool
Daly 12

Dundee United 5-0 Stirling Uni
Russel 1, Daly 8, 41, Rankin 44, Gardyne 76

TACTICS

View attachment 327415

Decided on a 4-2-3-1 formation played this for all our pre-season games and it worked wonders even in the Liverpool game even though we did lose by one goal but a solid performance none the less.
EUROPA LEAGUE 3RD QUALIFYING ROUND DRAW

DUNDEE UNITED
v Viktoria Plzen

Tough draw I'm not expecting much out of the Europa League this season would be nice to play in the group stages however I am concentrating on domestic competitions first.

(August update will include the first four games of the season including our first two legs of the Europa League game against Viktoria Plzen)

View attachment 327991

AUGUST
Poor start to the season for United
Europa League exit in 3rd Qualifying Round

A very disappointing start to the season for us as we lost at home to Hibernian. Things weren't easier for us for our next game as we travel to Celtic Park to play the current champions Celtic and lost 3-0 to a ten man team as Efe Ambrose was given his marching orders on the 70th minute. We managed to come back from these disappointing results and win our next two games, one over our rivals Dundee in a 4-0 win at home and then a 3-0 win over Kilmarnock. However we did go out in the Europa League 3rd Qualifying Round to Viktoria Plzen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Europa League 3rd Qualifying Round
Dundee United 1-3 Viktoria Plzen
Daly 77

Dundee United
1-2 Hibernian
Daly 86

Viktoria Plzen 2-3 Dundee United
Russell 35,57, Armstrong 46

Celtic 3-0 Dundee United

Dundee United
3-0 Dundee
Russell 4,83, Daly 46, Douglas 60

Kilmarnock 0-3 Dundee United
Russell 2,38, Rankin 22

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
JOHNNY RUSSELL

View attachment 327992

4 games, 4 goals, 3 assists, 2 man of the match

(Next months update will include 4 league games and the League Cup Third Round game)

View attachment 328118

SEPTEMBER

United's winning form continues
League Cup victory over Queen of the South
League Cup draws Dundee United against Dundee

What a month for us as we continue to keep on winning. We destroyed St Johnstone in the Tayside Derby in the opening game of the month. The winning form continued into our next two games by just beating Ross County and then Hearts at home. Our first game in the League Cup was a success as we comfortably beat lower league side Queen of the South 3-1 however we drew our bitter rivals Dundee in the Quarter Finals.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

St Johnstone 0-5 Dundee United
Daly 36,77, Armstrong 63, Russell 70,84

Dundee United
1-0 Ross County
Mackay-Stevens 46

Dundee United
3-2 Hearts
Russell 44, Armstrong 47, Mackay-Stevens 57

League Cup 4th Round
Dundee United 3-1 Queen of the South
Armstrong 13, Ryan 49, Flood 54

Inverness 1-2 Dundee United
Rankin 21, 78

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
JOHN RANKIN

42554_ranks%20large.jpg

5 games, 2 goals, 3 assists, 1 man of the match and SPL player of the month

(next months update will include three league games including the Old Firm derby against Aberdeen and the Quarter Final game of the League Cup against Dundee)

View attachment 328209
OCTOBER

Terrors winning form comes to an end
Dundee stun United in League Cup Quarter Final

A very disappointing month for us as we only collected two points out of a total of nine. We drew with our rivals Aberdeen in the Old Firm derby 2-2 a good result however we were leading 2-0 which is not good in my eyes. We suffered more in the League Cup Quarter Finals as our bitter rivals Dundee knocked us out on penalties. My aim was to win this competition so that I could make a mark on my era at the club however we have the Scottish Cup and the league to look forward to. Is the domestic double coming home to Tannadice?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherwell 2-1 Dundee United
Russell 38

Dundee United
2-2 Aberdeen
Daly 33, Flood 54

St Mirren 0-0 Dundee United

League Cup Quarter Final
Dundee 0-0 Dundee United (aet)
Dundee win 3-1 on penalties

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
GAVIN GUNNING

34528_gunning%20large.jpg

Had the best rating for us out of the 4 games however nobody deserved an award this month

LEAGUE POSITION - 4TH

(next months update will have five league games)

Usually find Scottish club stories intresting, this story should be too :)

View attachment 328272

NOVEMBER

Four out of five wins for United
Incredible result against champions Celtic

This was a good month of football for us. We started the monthly extremely well by getting three points at home to Celtic. However we couldn't carry our performance into the next game as we lost to Hibernian for the second time this season. We finished the month by winning our remaining games, all in a good solid month for us.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dundee United 2-1 Celtic
Dow 73,75

Hibernian 5-3 Dundee United
McGovern o.g. 15, Rankin 22, Armstrong 57

Dundee United
5-4 Kilmarnock
Armstrong 23, Daly 29, Mackay-Stevens 36, 51, Rankin 64

Ross County 0-2 Dundee United
Russell 80, Ryan pen 89

Dundee United
4-1 Motherwell
Rankin 12, 59, Dillon 45+3, Russell 78

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
JOHN RANKIN

9k=

5 games, 4 goals, 2 assists, SPL player of the month
(Stuart Armstrong SPL Young Player of the Month)

LEAGUE POSITION - 3RD

(next months update will have five league games one of which is the Dundee derby (revenge time) and our first game in the Scottish Cup against Berwick)

Very nice! I am still playing a save on FM11 and there I lead Dundee UTD from 2025 to 2029. I won two league titles and two cups and I managed to get 1/8 final of CL. There was one player, Steve Robertson who was a beast, 40+ goals in league only, every single season. I also get Suso, when he was around 35 and still one of the best player(in Scotland).

So I'll keep an eye on your story, hope you will achieve more than I.

Back