A White Rose Challenge or I am I a Yorkshire Pudding.

woolly

Reaction score
Introduction:

I’ve been playing FM since the early days starting off with Championship Manager 2 way back in the ‘90’s and every quise since. Normally I stick to a few clubs usually in the top leagues (I still have a save going in FM18). However, last year I though I would set myself a challenge starting in lower league management with the aim to get to one of the big clubs (I started at Salford with the aim to eventually manage Man Utd) that challenge is still on going but it got me thinking about how to make it more demanding, so this year I decided to try to get to the top by only managing teams from one area of the UK. As I had already started a Greater Manchester save I decided to see if I could manage something similar in the White Rose County.

The aim of the challenge is to start at Conference North Level and to eventually manage a Yorkshire Club (it doesn’t matter which) to the perfect cup winning season of Premier League Champions, FA Cup, League Cup and Champions League. The only thing is I can only take jobs from clubs in Yorkshire so if any other club has to be turned down.

Firstly let me introduced myself (the manager). Who am I? I am Loki Wodensson (yes it is my BAP player) a 29 year old Icelandic goal scoring LWB (I had to go with the game's choice on the goalscoring) of global standard, or should I say I was. Now I'm just Loki Wodensson severely crippled former player in need of a job and a new focus.

Like any newly retired player I now find myself at a loose end but still wanting to stay in the game and win things. So I thought I would try this management lark after all if it is good enough for the likes of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Frank Lampard then it is good enough for this Icelandic legend. However, I'm not just any former player I'm the real son of god (ok one of the Norse Gods : Woden aka Odin king of the Gods) and I like to make things tough. So no starting at a big name club I want to start at the bottom and work my way up. So I guess I will have to find a Non-League team willing to take me on with no coaching badges to my name but a global reputation as a player. As Icelandic and Scandinavian leagues in general only have one or two leagues it seemed pointless starting there so it was to my adoptive country and the county with the greatest links to my Norse heritage that I looked. Yorkshire was home and will always be home. Hence why I took the Jorvik sorry York job on.

Attachments

• Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    336.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
York badge.png

YORK CITY

A History

Formed originally in 1908 but folded in 1917 and did not reappear as a club until 1922.

Elected into Div 3 North in 1929 before becoming a founder member of Division 4 and remained a constant member of the bottom two divisions until 1974 when they reached Division 2 (Championship). Their highest league position ever was achieved in 1975 when they ended the season in 15th (at one point they were in 5th place). The glory days didn't last and by 1977 they were back at the bottom. Since then it has been a steady downward swing in fortunes punctuated only by some excellent results in cup competitions. Now in the Conference North after getting relegated in 2017 there is really no where else to go but up (or is there).

Honours

Division 4 (Div 2) Winners 1984
FA Trophy Winners 2012, 2017
FA Trophy Runners Up 2009.

As you can see there is plenty of scope (ie a total blank canvas) here to make a name for myself but I don't want to just be just another lower league manager I want to be the biggest and best in the business. Yorkshire needs to put the Red Rose sides back in their waterlogged holes kick the London clubs to their slums and shut up the North East fans once and for all. Yorkshire is Gods country (the Norse Gods that is) and I'm the son of God.

A quick look at the first team squad proves there are some good players in the squad already :

Goalkeeper:

Peter Jameson , the older and stronger of the two first team keepers at the club will probably be my first choice unless I find a better option.

Ryan Whitley, the 19 year old back up a life long York fan who has the potential to become a decent National Conference player in the future.

I will be keeping an eye out for another keeper (I like to work with 3 when possible) who is at the same standard as Jameson if I don't find one it's no biggy these two are good enough to get the team to the National Conference.

Full Backs:

Harry Spratt 19 year old leftback who if given the right technical and fitness training could make it to Division 2 standard.

Sean Newton, the other LB a 30 year old warhorse who is currently at National Conference levels, my main LB for the season and the foreseeable future until Spratt is ready.

Nathan Dyer 18 year old rightback probably the weakest of the 4 fullbacks to be honest and one who looks to be injury prone. I will see how the season pans out before I make a decision as to if it is worth keeping him.

Kallum Griffiths 29 year old RB a recent signing from Spennymoor like Newton is currently a Conference level player and will be the 1st choice.

I feel there is enough in these 4 players to not need reinforcing for now.

Central Defenders:

Steve McNulty, Daddy of the club at 35 and current team captain. I will be looking to replace him soon as this may be his last season at this level. Not outstanding but good enough at this level, his experience will be useful for bringing the youngsters on.

Joe Tait another former Spennymoor player currently seen as a leading Conference North player but inconsistent will see how it goes but I don’t think he will be staying long.

Jake Watson an 18 year old pacy defender who may have enough potential to make a name for himself. Currently I only see him as a back up at best.

Joshua King another new arrival to the side who has the potential to do well at this level.

This is an area of the side which clearly will need some input if only to replace Spratt. I will be looking to bring in some players of a higher standard currently or potentially, young players are preferred but experience is also acceptable.

Central Midfield:

Andy Bond 33 Conference standard player however, maybe on a downward slope.

Keiran Green 22 year old BWM who can play across the midfield will be a key part of the midfield.

Clearly another area where new bodies are needed at some point.

Wide players

Daniel Ferguson a defensive winger who can also play left back. Probably playing at his full potential.

Paddy McLaughin a player who can also play through the centre so he will be back up in that position

Adriano Moke a 29 year old Portuguese winger currently playing at his best another who isn’t restricted to one position.

Wes York in my view probably the best winger at the club presently having recently signed from Gateshead at 26 he has a few years ahead of him at this level.

Alex Kempster recently returned from a loan spell so will be looking to hold down a first team berth. Has some potential at this level.

Macauley Longstaff another player back from a loan away speed is this player’s game feature.

Elliot Durrell 29 year old right midfielder player with top crossing ability .

There is potential here so I probably won’t be doing too much however, it depends on the transfer market.

Forwards:

Jordan Burrow poacher at 26 should be coming into his prime as a player. Hopefully has a few goals in him.

Dan Maguire another poacher with decent finishing stats for this level. Unfotunately he is currently out injured and is not due to return for at least 2 months.

An area where the squad has some level of skill but I will be looking to see what is available in the transfer market.

That the current squad I haven't looked at the youth team in detail but from the quick glance I have had there are a few potential first teamers. Now on to pre-season and transfer activity.

Last edited:
Transfers.

Out:

As I'm happy with the players currently available in the first team squad I will not be making any sales although I may see if there are offers for Steve McNulty by placing him on the transfer list. I'll also put Watson up for loan as he needs game time something I cannot guarantee.

Incoming:

Will Patching a young hungry attacking midfielder recently released by Notts County, has bags of potential at this level. Signed primarily as an attacking central midfielder but he can play in a less advanced role.

Brad Watkins GK an upgrade on the two keepers currently at the club and at 24 may still improve slightly. I will be looking for him to take over from Jameson.

Terry Kennedy CD the back up I was looking for however, he has the determination to possibly take over one of the main slots at some point.

Anas Abdo formerly of Bolton. A target man with the potential to play at Div 2 level.

William Hartshorne an 18 year old CD who has the potential to play a div 2 level one I feel for the future currently.

Ali Omar another young CD who also has great potential currently at a higher level of skill than Kennedy and Hartshorne, I see him as the successor to McNulty’s shirt and will be using him in the first team as much as possible.

All these players came in on free transfers.

I now feel the squad is ready for the challenge a ahead and am looking to get promotion to the National Conference this season hopefully as Champions.

Preseason.

The sole aim for this preseason was to get the squad to jell especially as there are a few new players. Results aren't important. With the majority of games being against teams in lower leagues there would be little chance to gain too much cash, however there are two potential money spinners. A home game again Southend of League 1 and a game against Championship side Millwall both of which will inspire fans to turn up to Bootham Crescent. Over the whole Pre-season when as expected with all but one lower league side being beat the exception was Buxton who were inspired (with a little help from Durrell getting sent off after only 6 mins) to win 4-2. As for the two home games there is no complaints. Millwall naturally won but they didn't have it all there own way Paddy McLaughlin had given York fans some hope of a major shock by bringing the scores level at 1-1 for half time, pity Millwall spoilt the fun by scoring twice in the second half. All that after a special match at Bootham when we narrowly beat Southend 1-0.

The team is starting to bond and are coming to terms with the way I want them to play.

Tactics:

I like to play attacking football generally but realise that it will not always be possible. As a result I have tried to get tactics which hopefully will provide chances for the front players but also give some defensive stability. Pre-season saw the team settle into a 4-4-1-1 pattern formerly used by the great Man Utd side of '99 it is a tactic created by PAV which I downloaded. I've also gone for back up tactics of a 442 formation and a 424 long ball formation..
Screenshot (11).png

As this is my first story for a while updates maybe intermittent however let the challenge begin.

August: A Month of Ups and Downs

With an encouraging Pre-season programme completed it was time to start the real serious business of trying to put Yorkshire back on the footballing map.

First up were newly promoted Kings Lynn a side we should be beating comfortably. The nil-nil scoreline lasted until the 14 minute when a Griffith’s corner was not cleared, eventually the ball fell to Durrell who calmly slotted it into the back of the net. Two more goals followed before half time both scored by Burrows. The team didn’t let Kings Lynn off the hook after the break. It took 6 minutes for Bond who had assisted two of the earlier goals to get his own reward with a shot from another testing corner by Griffiths. Kempton then scored the 5th York goal after a scamble in the box. Finally Burrows got his hattrick with a lovely header from yet another Griffiths corner kick. Unfortunately the team were unable to keep a clean sheet due to Kings Lynn getting a consolation goal 2 minutes into injury time.

Screenshot (14).png

Unfortunately the next game brought the team back to earth with a bump losing 3-1 away to Leamington. Once again Griffiths had a good game however the less said about the other defenders the better. Next up were Gateshead at home another team we should be beating comfortably and another good win was achieved with Burrow scoring his 4th of the season. On our travels again for the next game with a Yorkshire Derby against Guiseley. It was a hard fought game but the lads just couldn’t seem to put the ball in the net and as a result paid penalty when Guiseley scored against the run of play in the 79 minute. The next home game also proved to be a winner with the added bonus of a clean sheet for the team. Unfortunately the last two games of the month saw the team lose two games which should have been winnable the first away to Boston where it seemed every half decent shot by the Boston players found the back of the net. Finally up was a home game against the part-timers from Altrincham. The team started well but a 5 minute penalty miss followed sending off of Griffith in the 25 minute for 2 bookable offences meant the writing was on the wall. Altrincham took advantage of the sending off by scoring the first of their goals in the 26 minute then it was just a case of trying to get back into the game. They scored another bang on half time which proved to be the winner. Wes York did pull a goal back in 62 minute but despite pressure the second goal would not come.

This has left the club off the pace a bit down in 11th place in the table not the start I was looking for from this squad.

Screenshot (16).png

Player of the Month: Paddy McLaughin who just shaded out the impressive Griffith with an average rating of 7.50 (1 POM award).

Could do better: Ali Omar average rating of 6.58 (not the lowest in the squad) in 5 appearances (one as sub) and 4 yellow cards received.

With the first month out of the way it is clear that although on paper this squad are in a false league position it is time now to start to kick on, the team are creating chances but the majority are not on target whilst those that are not being buried often enough. Oh well lets see what September will bring with games against Farsley, Alferton, Spennymour, Blyth and Chester along with the yet to be drawn 2nd Qualifying Round of the FA Cup.

there is a lot of pressure at york as you have to win the league to keep your job ...i did get back to back promotions with york city and left them top of league 2 ...try getting an affiliate club ...i got west brom and they have some really good loanee's ...i also used the realeased youth players from the prem bringing them in on trial and siging the best ones ...so good luck hope ya do well

I will try but hopefully I won't be at York too long with any luck one of the other Yorkshire clubs higher up will sack their manager. York is just the start....

September- In with a Wimper Out with a bang?

September couldn't have started any worse the poor form continued not helped by Griffiths being suspended for the first game of the month. Six players in the team were booked in a scrappy 1-1 draw with Farsley. Farsley had taken the lead in the 12th minute with a well struck penalty which debutant goalie Watkins had not chance with and looked good for the win until injury time at the end of 90 minutes. When Paddy Mclaughin calmly slotted in a penalty to even up the score at the death.
Screenshot (17).png

Next up were two away games both which should have been winnable but unfortunately resulted in defeats. First up were Alfeton andthings looked to be going well we raced into a 2-0 lead after only 20 minutes and it looked like it was going to be Kings Lynn all over again. Then the collapse began. Morgan-Smith drew one back just before half time with our defenders unable to clear the ball after a free kick. So we went in at half time still in control or so I and my staff thought. I wish I knew what Billy Heath had said to his boys at half time but whatever it was they came out of the home dressing room determined to turn things around where as my players especially the defenders seem to become over confident. Our lead lasted until the 57 minute when Lynch scored probably the best goal of the game a blast from outside the area. I knew then that it was going to be a case of hanging on our heads had started to drop and nothing the midfield could do went right. The defence was all over the place even Griffiths seemed to be in a daze then in the 84 minute Branson tee'd up a shot that went straight through the defence and into the net. Gutted is an understatement. It was a game we were in control of but collapsed in total confusion.

With the winless run now at 4 games morale was dropping to make matters worse Sean Newton my vice captain was demanding a new contract which I personally didn't think he deserved. Clear the air talks had failed when I pointed out that his on field performances were not to an expected level.

Spennymoor were to be our next opponents another game we should be winning. Once more however, we lost 2-1. Two goals in 2 minutes just after the break proved to be the difference, we did draw one back through McLauglin (who else) but the hero turned to zero in the 80th minute he missed a penalty. The lads tried in vain to draw level resulting in one of their central defenders getting sent off in the 85th min after too bookable offences.

September Part 2

Five games without a win and my control on the managerial job was starting to be questioned. Newton was chief complainer not only was he upset that he wasn't getting a new contract but he also found himself out of the team. However, I was more concerned with getting results, you don't get to be a top defender after all without being a bit bolshy.

A home game against Blyth came next and once more we took a commanding lead in the first half only to collapse defensively as the game went on. 2-0 up at half time came 3-0 in the 72 min with POM Burrow scoring 2. Things started to go wrong when I took Griffiths off in preparation for the upcoming FA Cup game not long after Blyth pulled one back when a long ball over the heads of the defenders lead to a goal. Blyth's tails were now up and a minute later 35 year old McNulty was beaten for pace and a second goal scored. Now it was a case of having to cling on for a morale boosting win, I wasted no time in taking McNulty off to be replaced with the much younger legs of Spratt. A move that not only removed a potential weakness but also ate in to the time left to play. For the last 5 minutes Blyth tried to get a third to salvage a point but it was not to be.

FA Cup Time It was FA Cup time now with us receiving Kings Langley of the Southern Premier Central DIvision. I must admit being the big boys in the cup scared me a little. The memories of seeing the likes of Sutton, Altrincham and more recently ourselves take on and defeat clubs higher up were fresh in my mind. We weren't playing well and to be honest were ripe for the picking. So it proved our home advantage was quickly ignored when they took the lead early in the game Max Hercules put their only shot on target into our net on the 35 minute mark. Nothing we could do seemed to come off and I for one was starting to see the headlines in the newspapers along the lines of Hercules the giant slayer in my mind the longer the game went on. We weren't getting our shots on target whilst their constant disruption of the games was starting to grate. It seemed we were going to go out at the first hurdle however top scorer Burrows had other ideas and saved our butts and probably our season (a good cup run means everything at this level)with his goal 10 minutes before the whistle. We were in the draw for the 3rd qualifying round. The draw was made the next day and we will be up against another team below us league wise in Alvechruch if we can win the replay. Four days later our blushes were saved with a 1-0 win at their place.

Finally it looked like we were starting to get some kind of form going, unbeaten in 3 games with a tough game against another former league team to come in Chester. I had tweaked the formation somewhat to a less attack minded 4-3-2-1 which I had always fancied trying out at lower levels. It was the last game in September and can we keep the run going. The answer was yes, Chester may have been higher up in the league but their form was starting to drop whilst I was confident that my lads were starting to gel as a unit. Jordon Burrows seems to have finally found his shooting boots as he took his total for the season into double figures. We had less of the possession in this game and had fewer chances but goals are what win games. A 2-0 win was the result which has put us back in reach of the play off places.

September wasn't a total washout at least we ended it in good form but it was marred by a small player rebellion lead by who else but Newton, that guy is starting to become a liability. him and 3 others came into my office just before the home game against Kings Langley complaining I wasn't good enough and my tactics were not suitable. Naturally I listened to their comments regarding what they felt was a lack on my behalf (what they didn't know was I had already decided to make changes). however, I forcefully pointed out that once on the pitch it was up to them to make things happen. Whilst I wasn't able to convince all the players the clear the air talks at least made them think. Newton naturally wasn't happy and took it upon himself to miss training not long after. I may need to get rid of this troublemaker sooner rather than later. He is already on the transfer list but I will not accept his unprofessional attitude for much longer.

Attachments

• Screenshot (19).png
    Screenshot (19).png
    340.9 KB · Views: 74
Summary 100 Days into Management

With two months of the season now complete it's a chance to have a first look back on what has happened. When first taking on this job I felt the club was ready to go places and make the first step back to the Football League. Unfortunately it hasn't panned out that way so far. With the club currently sitting in mid table after what can only be described as an inconsistent start to the season I realise just being Woden's son isn't the key to success. I can't just bully my way through expecting people to fall down and let my players walk all over. Nor can I expect my players to be perfect and respectful just because I was a global star. It's going to take hard work to get to the top of the management tree.

The Team To be fair the players have tried to do as asked. They are a pretty determined bunch who just need to channel the determination in the right direction. On the whole performances have been good if unspectacular. I have been especially pleased with the performance of Griffiths at LB he is not the best player in the squad but his level of consistency is excellent. Burrows too has impressed and is currently leading the average performance rating table for the club, whilst his 9 league goals have him sat in 3rd place in the scoring charts. The one aspect I wish the players would improve is their goals to shots taken aspect a return 25 goals for 272 (101 on target) is not good enough. It is something I will need to discuss with the coaches at some point I fear.

In terms of injuries we've been relatively lucky with only one player currently out (Dan Maguire with torn ligaments) but he is now starting his recovery and hopefully should be available within the next month which should be a boost for the attack. Season wise only Maguire and Watkins have had major injuries, likewise minor injuries have only affected 4 members of the squad.

Disipline has be largely what I would expect at the level we are playing, with only one sending off so far we are on par with other teams in the league, whilst the 35 yellow may be the highest in the league it does not take into account the success rate of our tackling (90%). Most of the squad's players are happy but the situation with Newton and his general attitude continues to deteriorate resulting in him missing training and receiving a fine for doing so. This is one situation where I will need to sort and soon. I've placed him on the transfer list and offered him to other clubs hopefully he can be moved on quickly and bring in some finance into the bargain via a transfer fee.

Finances As to be expected at this level there is very little in the way of big money. The club currently remains in the black overall but with a wages to income defict it is clearly this will shrink as the season goes on. Hopefully I can cut the wage problem with the sale of players like Newton and releasing players who are not good enough for the future of this proud Viking club.

October – Are we starting to find our form?

After seeing our form pick up towards the end of September were we finally starting to show the form expected of this squad time would tell. We started the month with a home game against one of the other teams tipped for the top in Hereford. I knew we needed to get some sort of result to get back in with a chance for promotion. Things did not look good when we went a goal down just before half time so I knew a good team talk was needed, we weren’t playing the flowing football I wanted and chances were being satched at by my attackers went chances presented themselves. However, on the positive side we were dominating procession so there was always the chance. When we earned a throw in the 71st minute most of the team were concentrating their efforts in the midfield however, our Left Winger Kempster took a chance and found himself unmarked in the area a short throw by Dyer to Patching followed by a deadly cross meant he could finally test their goalie. His first shot was saved but there was no stopping the rebound. The rest of the game was a case of both sides trying to make a break through but failing. In the end a 1-1 draw was probably a fair result.

Next was the FA Cup game against Alvechurch a team we should be beating convincingly especially at home. Things seemed to be going to plan when Kempster popped up once more with a goal on 16 minutes, our lead didn’t last long as one minute later they scored, it remained 1-1 at half time despite us peppering their goal. I knew my half-talk once more needed to remind these players that their performance needed to improve in the second half. We continued to push for another goal but it seemed like it was going to be one of those games. In the 69 minute however, a push on Moke in the area meant we were given a penalty which McLaughlin took we were back in the lead but could we hold it. The answer was yes as in the 81 minute York received a cross and slammed it past their goalkeeper. So progress to the 4th Qualifying round where we will met Barrow from the National Conference.

The 3rd game in October was another game against a promotion chaser Kidderminster sadly we couldn’t continue our run of form and returned home pointless after a 2-0 defeat. Where for the third game on the trot our top scorer Burrows had a nightmare of a match resulting in him getting substituted on the 56 minute.

Curzon Aston were up next who’s form has been really poor indeed they are predicted to end the season in one of the reglegation spots. I took the chance to give a couple of players a rest and the replacements did brilliantly. Not only did we win the game we won convincingly with us actually threating to run up a cricket score. We were 4-0 up by half time and although the players eased off in the second half a 5-0 win was more than acceptable. Our new players seem to be finally bedding in Ali Omar is starting to dominate in defence whilst Will Patching is proving to be a creative force in midfield. More to the point however, it looks like Burrows has found his shooting boots again with a brace in this game.

FA Cup time came round again and Barrow who have been struggling in the National League were our visitors. I don’t know what happened as once again against a similar strength team we got taken to the cleaners once again. I would have liked to have got a run in the cup as we need the money but it was not to be as Barrow were inspired and inflicted a demoralising 3-0 home defeat. There were positives however. Watkins the GK played well and actually kept the score down, whilst Burrows played well even if he didn’t score.

October ended with two away wins both of which were won convincingly. First up were our Yorkshire neighbours Bradford PA who are struggling so it was no surprise when we won 5-2 with a hattrick from Bond and goals also from Patching and Burrows. Then we faced much stronger opponents in Southport who are flying high in 2nd place in the league. I was expecting a close game but I guess the FA Cup replay they had two days earlier had left them a bit tired. Not that I was complaining after a 3-0 win with Patching (2) and Burrows on the score sheet for the second game running.

That ends October and we now find ourselves back in the promotion race in 8th place. Just out of the play-off places but at least our form is getting better.

Player of the Month, it was really tough to decide this one. McLaughlin continues to impress, Will Patching looks to be settling in and has made left midfield slot his own with his stunning performances as a Mezzela whilst the goals of Burrows cannot be ignored.

I have decided to award it to Will Patching with average rating of 7.8 for the month and 4 goals to his credit.

As I'm finding it harder to concentrate on game time and feel this is getting far to long winded I will probably cut back on this. I will still carry on with the challenge as it is likely to get interesting the closer to the top of the tree but I won't be updating as often.