RESeedorf

Reaction score
I'm kind of stuck here.. I'm trying to find out what PPM's I should make him learn.
My coach advised "places shots" but I read somewhere that central midfielders "shooting with power" are more effective in beating the goalkeeper because they tend to shoot from longer distances.
Should I make him place his shots or shoot with power?
I use him as a AP (Attack) central midfielder in a 4-3-3DM system.

View attachment 94808

Where is he taking shots from in matches? Its not just a matter of his role, but the tactical system as a whole. If he is getting shooting opportunities from the top of the box or further out, I would probably go with Shoots with Power. His Long Shots makes that a bit concerning but Technique, etc, is still really good. Whereas if he is getting opportunities inside the box, I find the Places Shot very effective from closer in.

top of the box

Where is he taking shots from in matches? Its not just a matter of his role, but the tactical system as a whole. If he is getting shooting opportunities from the top of the box or further out, I would probably go with Shoots with Power. His Long Shots makes that a bit concerning but Technique, etc, is still really good. Whereas if he is getting opportunities inside the box, I find the Places Shot very effective from closer in.

I looked at a few matches and his shots are mostly around the same positions, I think his poor "finishing" and "long shots" attributes are hindering him from getting more shots on target. Last season he had 4 goals in 24 matches. It's obviously not his primary task but I'd like seeing him get some goals in on occasion. I'll probably take your advice and make him learn shots with power and get additional focus training on "finishing" maybe that will work.
View attachment 94768

Well, his Finishing and Long shots are going to be a bit of an issue with either PPM. Those alone aren't deciding factors - Technique, Decisions, and so on will be a factor as well. Adding the PPM will only make so much difference - his Long Shots attribute just isn't ideal.

If you prefer Shoots with Power, then override the advice and get him to work on it. It may fail, but PPMs can fail regardless of what the coach tells you.

I would not teach him shoot with power. He's poor finishing coupled with poor longshots is going to see the ball fly over the bar more often then not. I like to teach my creative player to place their shots as it goes well with their high technique.

sounds fair

I would not teach him shoot with power. He's poor finishing coupled with poor longshots is going to see the ball fly over the bar more often then not. I like to teach my creative player to place their shots as it goes well with their high technique.

What type of player would you teach "shoots with power" ?

What type of player would you teach "shoots with power" ?
Strikers with High finishing & technique but who lack composure. Striker or attacking mids with high composure, anticipation and decisions are the last type of players you want to teach shoot with power. Read this guide on how to get the best out of you're players using the right PPMs.

Player Preferred Moves | Football Manager 2017 Guide

Huge shame what happened to him. I absolutely loved watching him grow on my game, he's turned into a world beater.

The reports say otherwise, but I really hope he makes a speedy recovery.