Accrington Stanley – who are they? From League 2 to Champions League!

• Thread starter Thread starter MWEST94
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 4K

MWEST94

Reaction score
View attachment 248751
Accrington Stanley
2nd​ July 2011:
Accrington Stanley chairman, Peter Marsden, has stepped down following the takeover by a new chairman. Marsden quoted, “The new chairman will be announced next week, he has great plans for the club which was difficult for me to fulfil. He will revolutionize the club and bring the club forward. I would like to thank the club and fans who have supported my decisions”.

Speculation suggests the new chairman has bought the club for around £20 to £30 million, taking over 90% of the club. Updates will be posted.

View attachment 248760
Accrington Stanley
9th​ July 2011:

David Beckham is revealed to be the new chairman of Accrington Stanley. He has taken over from previous owner Peter Marsden. He will provide finance and knowledge to the club to help move them forward.

Press Conference:
Reporter: “So David, you sit here as the new chairman, how do you feel?”
David: “It’s great to own a club. I love football and the chance to own a club is an overwhelming feeling.”
Reporter: “How did you finance such a move?”
David: “Well I had a bit of money saved up. But I also gained money through sales. I managed to sell my Armani pants on Ebay. Some person called Emile18 bought them for £30 million.”
Reporter: “Have you spoke to the manager, Paul Cook, yet? Will he still be the manager of Accrington?”
David: “Unfortunately, me and the current manager have different ambitions. We have agreed to him leaving the club. I would like to thank Paul Cook for what he has done for the club.”
Reporter: “So who will be your manager?”
David: “I will announce the new manager in the next couple of days.”
Reporter: “What are you aiming to achieve with Accrington Stanley?”
David: “I want them to be a top club competing in the Champions League.”
Reporter: “What about financing? What will you provide to the club?”
David: “I will provide the club with as much finance as it needs.”
Reporter: “You look at clubs like Chelsea and Man City, who have been successful; with finance being a major factor, will you be the same?”
David: “I agree finance is a major factor, but I want to develop the club through its youth as well.”

End of press conference.

Back